Soviet Space Program, career-mode total conversion[1.3] 6/4/17

tjsnh

Ok, I lied, the new update is a little more significant and is a save breaker.

Version 1.3

Support for ABLaunchers (Energia/Zenit)

More minor revamps to the tech tree (Venera probe moved "down", etc)

Removal of some stock parts that are a bit too NASA-ish (and no longer needed with Energia!)

Updated craft files! Expect a craft file for all major Soviet systems except the Buran orbiter (I'm horrible at shuttles).

Also note - A tantares update with the PPTS is coming very soon. When it lands, I'll update here replacing the Mk1-2 Pod with the Tantares PPTS.

Edited by tjsnh

Fun news - this morning before work I was able to get a nice Buran + Energia built, and it launches to a 120km LKO very easily!

I might have to add some ablator to the Mk3 cockpit and Big-S wings, as it has some re-entry heating issues, but expect an update with the .craft file probably this evening when I get home from work.

Would it be possible to remove the fairings from the subassemblies you provide? When I try to use one it appears off to one side, unclickable and KSP.log fills up with:

[EXC 03:44:06.214] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ModuleProceduralFairing.<SetupEditorFSM>m__190 ()

KerbalFSM.LateUpdateFSM ()

ModuleProceduralFairing.LateUpdate ()

[EXC 03:44:06.249] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ModuleProceduralFairing.UpdateXSectionPlacement (ProceduralFairings.FairingXSection currentXsc, ProceduralFairings.FairingXSection previous, Vector3 wAxis, Vector3 wPivot)

ModuleProceduralFairing.<SetupEditorFSM>m__18F ()

KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM ()

ModuleProceduralFairing.Update ()

Seems the VAB really dislikes fairings on subassemblies.

Would it be possible to remove the fairings from the subassemblies you provide? When I try to use one it appears off to one side, unclickable and KSP.log fills up with:

[EXC 03:44:06.214] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ModuleProceduralFairing.<SetupEditorFSM>m__190 ()

KerbalFSM.LateUpdateFSM ()

ModuleProceduralFairing.LateUpdate ()

[EXC 03:44:06.249] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ModuleProceduralFairing.UpdateXSectionPlacement (ProceduralFairings.FairingXSection currentXsc, ProceduralFairings.FairingXSection previous, Vector3 wAxis, Vector3 wPivot)

ModuleProceduralFairing.<SetupEditorFSM>m__18F ()

KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM ()

ModuleProceduralFairing.Update ()

Seems the VAB really dislikes fairings on subassemblies.

Absolutely possible, I'll swap out fairing-less subs in the next update (which should be this week).

Absolutely possible, I'll swap out fairing-less subs in the next update (which should be this week).

Cheers, I'm having good fun with the soviet stuff so far even though I sometimes puzzle over which bit goes where ;)

• 1 month later...

I got a few messages about the next update - in short, there is an update to Tantares coming soon that will be replacing/updating the R-7 rocket parts and (I think) adding the PPTS capsule. I'll be waiting until after that to put out the next SSP update, which has a number of other changes as well as a LARGE number of extra stock craft and subs.

• 3 weeks later...
I got a few messages about the next update - in short, there is an update to Tantares coming soon that will be replacing/updating the R-7 rocket parts and (I think) adding the PPTS capsule. I'll be waiting until after that to put out the next SSP update, which has a number of other changes as well as a LARGE number of extra stock craft and subs.

Might I recommend making it compatible with AB Launchers as well? Adds Zenit, Energia & Vulkan launchers.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106687-AB-Launchers-1-0-5m-Energia-parts-25-June

Compatibility with this would be nice, for Buran:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133233-Cormorant-Aeronology-Dev-Thread

Might I recommend making it compatible with AB Launchers as well? Adds Zenit, Energia & Vulkan launchers.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106687-AB-Launchers-1-0-5m-Energia-parts-25-June

Compatibility with this would be nice, for Buran:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133233-Cormorant-Aeronology-Dev-Thread

Already is compatible with AB Launchers :D

Even includes some great .craft with it, including an easy-to-fly buran!

- - - Updated - - -

All - update coming tonight or tomorrow.

The new Tantares is out, and I'm done tweaking the parts for use in this mod. Also made some other changes (moved a radial decoupler on the tech tree, a few other things).

I need to make a new set of craft files, as the new tantares breaks a bit of them, but I should be able to do that after work this evening. Expect a big, save breaking, update late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I've also got an idea for this! When I've played in my saves before for Soviet-style missions (I usually did Space Race stuff, so I'd have American themed parts as well), I used KerbalKonstructs to launch from KSC2. In my opinion, KSC2 is a lot more like Baikonur than the main KSC, because it's inland, which poses a challenge for landing, and at a higher altitude and different inclination, which is more like Biakonur, and is an interesting challenge to the player as well.

Hey,

Just for my own personal interests i started putting together a very small "soviet" tech tree based off of tantares, tantareslv, hgr, energia/zenit, and a small amount of stock items.

It functions more around a "1 tech unlocks a rocket, 1 tech unlocks resizing it larger" kind of schematic, so it is a fairly simple tree, but very clearly soviet and structured. Wonder if at any point in the future when its more polished you would welcome a peak at it? Might be a nice alternative tree.

• 1 month later...
I've also got an idea for this! When I've played in my saves before for Soviet-style missions (I usually did Space Race stuff, so I'd have American themed parts as well), I used KerbalKonstructs to launch from KSC2. In my opinion, KSC2 is a lot more like Baikonur than the main KSC, because it's inland, which poses a challenge for landing, and at a higher altitude and different inclination, which is more like Biakonur, and is an interesting challenge to the player as well.

I've used the KK Baikonur myself, but I've tried to keep the list of dependencies low, and none of the stuff I've added/edited requires it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey,

Just for my own personal interests i started putting together a very small "soviet" tech tree based off of tantares, tantareslv, hgr, energia/zenit, and a small amount of stock items.

It functions more around a "1 tech unlocks a rocket, 1 tech unlocks resizing it larger" kind of schematic, so it is a fairly simple tree, but very clearly soviet and structured. Wonder if at any point in the future when its more polished you would welcome a peak at it? Might be a nice alternative tree.

Back before 1.0 hit, the early betas of this mod had a custom tech tree, but since 1.0 the tool I was using to customize the tech tree no longer works - otherwise I'd already have a custom tree included for both this and the NASA career mod.

What are you using?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A quick update/roadmap for the future:

For future versions of this pack, Beale (the author of the Tantares parts pack that this mod uses) has given me permission to use/redistribute a few parts he is no longer developing (mainly, the PPTS capsule) so they will be included in all future versions of this pack. I was able to finish a few of the parts Beale had unfinished, such as the PPTS service module, so they will be "new".

Starting with the next release, this mod will feature a custom "from scratch" tech-tree. New nodes, new "map", completely new progression experience based on the "real life" development map of the old Soviet program, into the modern Roscosmos era.

Starting with the next release, this mod will feature a more balanced RemoteTech config for the parts included in this mod, as well as fitting the 'default' RemoteTech dishes into the new custom tech tree.

Expect the next release to include a wider variety of "stock" .craft files, including a useful Buran shuttle that is VERY easy to launch/fly/land!

Expect the next release sometime either late this month or early January, as I'll need to do extensive playtesting before publishing the final product.

Edited by tjsnh

Dev update - the new "from scratch" tech tree is done, and parts are assigned. Updated for the latest releases of dependency mods, added in the PPTS parts and a new 5m payload fairing base to fit the Energia/Vulkan booster.

Playtesting for another week or so to work out bugs, progression paradoxes, etc. Release by new years.

Edited by tjsnh

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2016 at 0:10 PM, Ratzap said:

I'm having some problems getting an older 1.0.4 save to load, it's failing on 'Vega.Node.B' - any ideas where I can find that or fake one up?

That part was removed/replaced from the tantares parts pack. You can download an older version of the pack, and copy the part over, as a "last resort" to resolve the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Dev update : sorry it's been so long. I've been swamped at work over the last two months and haven't had as much time to work on these two mods as I had expected. My free time has opened up again, and progress has been made.

The custom tech tree is proving VERY difficult to balance well in playtesting, so I may end up resorting to a modified version of the stock technology tree (parts moved all over the place, a few techs renamed/recosted/moved, etc - but not "from scratch").

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.