Soviet Space Program, career-mode total conversion[1.3] 6/4/17

tjsnh

• 4 weeks later...

Roadmap :

With KSP1.1 coming out soon, chances are good it will break compatibility with a lot of mods so it'll probably be a month or two before the next big update.
My plans for the update are to shift this (and my NASA career mod) into modular chunks that are complementary but not entirely codependent:

• Flags & Custom parts & ModpackPart changes & Tech Tree Changes (what the mod contains now)
  • Example .craft pack
  • KerbalKonstructs additions (theme-appropriate launch sites)
  • Contracts/Strategies/Agencies changes & additions
  • FinalFrontier rank insignia pack

In short, I'll be providing downloads for all the career theme-customization and tweaks I've put together over the last year.

On 3/14/2016 at 10:33 AM, hendrack said:

Regarding the tech tree progression, have you looked into this mod? 

The tech tree modifications I've made are comparatively simple, rather than a huge overhaul. One modulemanager patch with the modpack will handle the tech tree, which just adds 2 or 3 nodes and moves 1 or 2 others.

• 5 weeks later...

Now that 1.1 is out, I've reached out to the developers of the dependency mods about their release roadmaps so I can plan accordingly. The next version will be out as soon as is practical, to avoid having the dependencies get updated right after this mod, which would require another quick update.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a heads up - this project isn't dead. I've just been swamped at work.

Hopefully I'll get the next version released soon, it's about 90% ready.

There are some "new" parts, in that I've included/forked some parts (such as the PPTS capsule/etc, MAPC parts, and Venera probes) that were previously part of other projects, but were abandoned by their creators (with their blessing).

Edited by tjsnh

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up - the new release is done. I'm waiting on a dependent utility mod (Contract Configurator) to post it's next update later this week before I throw the links up here - probably will post the update on Friday or Saturday. It will break past saves (badly...) so if you were planning to start up fresh, I'd strongly suggest waiting a couple of days.

What to expect :

• Some parts that were previously from dependent mods have been absorbed (with permission) and will be included natively without needing to download extra stuff.
  • Optional, and improved, remotetech integration.
  • Optional, and improved, custom ribbons for Final Frontier.
  • Optional, and improved, support for the Kosmodrome launch site via Kerbal Konstructs.
  • A whole ton of custom contracts to enhance the progression experience from one "program" to the next.
  • Reworked progression through the tech tree, and some minor modifications to the tree itself.
  • Vastly improved quantity, and quality, of included .craft files and subassemblies.
  • A few other small surprises. :-)

Hi,

I was working on getting this mod in to CKAN, and noticed the following issues in the zip file:

1. Subassemblies folder in root.  Not sure how to automatically install this.  Maybe put it in the mod directory when doing an automatic install, with instructions to people on where to find it?
  2. RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg in root.  Again, if this is for ModuleManager, it should be in GameData, not the root.  Unless it is optional

Right now, the config for the netkan is putting the Subassemblies in the root, and ignoring the RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg file totally

Let me know what you'd like me to do with it

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hi,

I was working on getting this mod in to CKAN, and noticed the following issues in the zip file:

1. Subassemblies folder in root.  Not sure how to automatically install this.  Maybe put it in the mod directory when doing an automatic install, with instructions to people on where to find it?
  2. RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg in root.  Again, if this is for ModuleManager, it should be in GameData, not the root.  Unless it is optional

Right now, the config for the netkan is putting the Subassemblies in the root, and ignoring the RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg file totally

Let me know what you'd like me to do with it

1 - Not having done much with CKAN, I can't say. If there is some way to structure the folders inside the ZIP that makes it more CKAN friendly, just let me know and I can post an update.

2 - the problem is, having multiple modulemanager patches patch the same part causes unpredictable results - it's not clear which takes priority, and I haven't been able to make it work. Hence why the instructions ask to manually delete the conflicting file.

2 hours ago, Ratzap said:

Thanks, I enjoyed this last year and have had that save on hold hoping there would be an update. Now to see if it'll load.

It'll be best to start it over, but it _might_ load ok if you weren't very far in.

Some of the parts in Tantares that have been updated got new part names (save-breaking), which I can't do anything about.

1 minute ago, tjsnh said:

It'll be best to start it over, but it _might_ load ok if you weren't very far in.

Some of the parts in Tantares that have been updated got new part names (save-breaking), which I can't do anything about.

Yep, a couple of things missing. My deep space network sats went pfut but most things survived. The contracts can often be the biggest problem (I've converted old saves before), alt-f12, complete everything then exit and restart. Usually clears the mess up.

I'll just have to redesign and launch the deep space dish carriers but it keeps all the tech/money/rep.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotten a good amount of feedback , an update will be coming in about a month.
New parts, bug fixes, additional support & instructions on moving the KSC launch site into the desert like Baikonur, more .craft files, some tech tree refinements, contract tweaks, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2016 at 0:51 AM, tjsnh said:

1 - Not having done much with CKAN, I can't say. If there is some way to structure the folders inside the ZIP that makes it more CKAN friendly, just let me know and I can post an update.

2 - the problem is, having multiple modulemanager patches patch the same part causes unpredictable results - it's not clear which takes priority, and I haven't been able to make it work. Hence why the instructions ask to manually delete the conflicting file.

There are modifiers on ModuleManager instructions to make them happen AFTER another mod has done its thing, you ought to be able to use them? I'm not entirely sure of the details, though.

Just a note - I'm going to delay the next release until after 1.1.2 stable lands. I've been poking around with the experimental build, and I want to make sure this pack is compatible with it, so the next update will be a week or two after 1.1.2 comes out. I'm tentatively planning to drop support for remotetech (may offer it as an optional add on) which will simplify installation and allow ckan integration (I think).

• 4 weeks later...

"testwarhead" part is demanded for starting contract, but is nowhere to be found in VAB.

Shouldn't it be "category = Pods" instead of "category = none"?  "TechRequired = Unavailable" should be fine alone to hide a contract-only part.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Jet said:

"testwarhead" part is demanded for starting contract, but is nowhere to be found in VAB.

Shouldn't it be "category = Pods" instead of "category = none"?  "TechRequired = Unavailable" should be fine alone to hide a contract-only part.

It's to prevent it from showing up in Pods in sandbox mode, since the part itself would be a bit of a cheat in regular use.
You can find it in the VAB by clicking the upper-left and sorting parts by manufacturer. It'll be the first part on the list.

Edited by tjsnh

The next update, built for KSP 1.2 , is about 98% ready - working with mod developers from a couple of the dependent mods on the release timing, shouldn't be long.

Note that this will be a save-breaking update in several big ways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What kind of bad things will happen if I use the newest contares (1.7.8) with your mod? It says 1.7.6 or lower on the frontpage. Some other mods required still only have barely 1.1 support (like Q orbit sys). :D

Edited by hendrack

1 hour ago, hendrack said:

What kind of bad things will happen if I use the newest contares (1.7.8) with your mod? It says 1.7.6 or lower on the frontpage. Some other mods required still only have barely 1.1 support (like Q orbit sys). :D

You'll have a bunch of extra parts in inventory that don't fit in with the rest of the mod. For example, you'll have the soviet space program with unexplained apollo capsules for some reason. Also, some of the comms parts may have issues. The guy who does contares posts an update every 10 seconds, and honestly I just can't keep up with his release cycle. I strongly suggest downloading 1.7.6 or older.

The smaller mods mentioned, like Q , work correctly with this mod's patches. In essence I've done the update work for them and included it here.

Edited by tjsnh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.