KScale2 1.2.2.3 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

KScale2 is a simple rescale mod using Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions. It double the size of planets/moons and their orbits, but keeps everything else stock. This makes a more challenging game with a stock fee

Installation Instructions

• Separately download and install Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions using the links below.

• Download and unzil the mod, then place the folder in your GameData folder. That's it, enjoy.

More information

Do you enjoy the stock KSP experience but wish is was a little harder to get into orbit? Do you find your rockets are all payload and no booster?

If the answer is yes then KScale2 is for you. This mod was designed with the concept of how little we can change but decrease the payload fraction for orbit.

Payload fraction is how much of your rocket is payload, vs the fuel and engines to get it there. Real world rockets manage around 15% but in KSP it's much, much higher.

KScale2 doubles the radius of all planets and moons and double the semiMajor axis of orbits (the radius of the orbit) so that every is twice the size and twice the distance. This makes getting to orbit harder (but not twice as hard) and increases the fuel you need to get anywhere, but the game is still very playable with a purely stock rocket. Atmospheric heights are the same as stock and very little else has changed so the mod will work with most mods. I have included configuration files for Remote tech and EVE so you get the best results.

KScale2 is a very minimalist approach to rescaling, it makes small changes and offers a small difference / challenge to the stock game. If you're looking for a more comprehensive rescale mod there are other options such as 64K (6.4x scale of stock, very hard with a stock rocket) all the way up to RSS (1-1 scale model of the real solar system, impossible with a stock rocket).

*What has changed

• All bodies twice the diameter
  • All orbits twice the semi-major axis
  • Solar power curve adjusted to provide stock values at new distances
  • Anomalies and Easter eggs are buried under ground.
  • Texture and normal for Kerbin (medium res version)

What is the same as stock

• Potato moons still potatoes
  • Atmosphere height and density curve
  • Body rotation rates
  • The end result is a mod that works really well with otherwise stock KSP, even in career mode, but also plays nicely with mods installed. It's harder than stock KSP, but not massively so.

Note: This is the last version of KScale that will be released. However it should be compatible with the game for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of other rescale mods out there that do a more detailed job of changing the size of the Kerbin system and I no longer have the time to keep this mod as good as you deserve. This mod is public domain so please feel free to use anything you see here to create your own rescale mods

KScale2 License

Created by Paul Kingtiger and released as public domain. As such all the files and content in this mod, except those 3rd party mods and files specifically listed below are released under the public domain.

Screen shots, images and videos

• You may create and publish screen shots, images and videos featuring Universal Storage running as part of KSP, including for commercial or financial gain. This does not include the texture image files, except when viewed ‘in-game’ as part of Kerbal Space Program.
  • Note: this license does not override or supersede any existing license regarding Kerbal Space Program or Squad

Edited by Paul Kingtiger
Updated to KSP 1.2.2

I truly believe that when the game went to 1.0 this rescale should have become the new stock size. Everything just makes sense and feels better to fly around, without the higher difficulty curve of the even larger, more realistic rescale configs out there.

Looks fun. Do you think it would be a lot of work to this working with a planet mod such as OPM?

Not at all, it should be very easy. Probably the best approach would be to double the planet/moon radius and semi major axis, rather than add KScale2 into another mod.

You might be able to do that with a simple modulemanager file, but I haven't tried it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this compatible with Texture Replacer?

It should be 100% compatible with any mod except other kopernicus configs.

I truly believe that when the game went to 1.0 this rescale should have become the new stock size. Everything just makes sense and feels better to fly around, without the higher difficulty curve of the even larger, more realistic rescale configs out there.

The more I attempt to play stock scale, the more I agree with this statement; this evening, I spent a couple of hours getting a modded install together to only quit after designing the first rocket for a RT comsat... single stage, with only a main stack, no boosters. I hate that I can get to orbit with a pathetically tiny rocket. Of course, those that used FAR pre-1.0 have been plagued with this problem for some time. I'm going to give this scale a shot this evening or tomorrow. Trying to find the perfect scale for times when I don't have much time/patience for 64k or RSS.

Looks fun. Do you think it would be a lot of work to this working with a planet mod such as OPM?

OPM was one of the main reasons for playing a stock scale install in my statement above. I'm going to try out this scale and see if I can throw together a config for OPM. If it works, I'll post it here.

KScale2 Planet Packs

Adds double scale support for Outer Planet Mods and soon other planet packs. Trans-Keptunian was included previously but needs to be fixed.

Latest Github Release (v1.1.0)

Source

Current Planet Packs Supported

Outer Planets Mod - v1.8 (now with Neidon's moons, Thatmo and Nissee!)

Instructions

1) Install KScale2 and the supported planet packs you want

2) Install the above

3) Run KSP :)

License

In case it's needed: public domain just like the original

I'll look into adding CKAN support soon.

Edited by stevehead
Github release v1.1.0

Just packed my configs for Outer Planets Mods and Trans-Keptunian support. Please see my original post for download and instructions. I had to make one small change in the original KScale2.cfg file to accommodate OPM, but the rest of the changes are located in new config files under the compatibility folder. If Paul likes what I have done, he's more than welcome to include my changes and additions to his releases.

I think I might try this out for my "Kerbal-style" install. The stock solar system is just so tiny.

That's what I've been doing. An install using stock aero, stock heating, and a pile of stockalike parts mods, staying away from things like Real Fuels and Procedural Parts. This scale works well.

I've been playing with KScale2 for a few hours with a legit save (not for testing) and I have to say I am loving this scale. Feels like the 0.21/0.22 days (before I discovered FAR), but with the better aerodynamics... feels almost nostalgic for some odd reason. Squad should have definitely re-scaled the solar system with the 1.0 aerodynamics change.

The only mod I have going now with this is kjr, and in career (not sandbox), the second I reach space it crashes. Could it be the base "reach space" contract not liking the scale somehow? I tried a clean install, and even tried leaving the 2 MM dlls you provide instead of deleting the old one.

Same issue as tater, both in a clean and modded instal...

I don't understand why because i have 2 KSP's (one with a total mod clutter, i wanted to start fresh, only use essential mods) and the cluttered one works fine with this mod...

Yip, i tried quicksaving on the pad, edited the escape atmosphere and reach orbit contracts to be complete, yet it still froze. So I'm guessing it are the reach speed/altitude auto-contracts causing it.

I'm going to try to complete those without the mod installed, then switch back and see

Edit: After completing the auto-contracts transition to space is as smooth as ever. So i guess that's solved with a little workaround :)

Edited by Teylo

Yip, i tried quicksaving on the pad, edited the escape atmosphere and reach orbit contracts to be complete, yet it still froze. So I'm guessing it are the reach speed/altitude auto-contracts causing it.

I'm going to try to complete those without the mod installed, then switch back and see

Edit: After completing the auto-contracts transition to space is as smooth as ever. So i guess that's solved with a little workaround :)

I was having the same issue, and spent an hour removing mods from a heavily modded install to try to figure out what the issue was. I figured it had to be a contract issue, but it never occurred to me that KScale2 was behind it. Thanks for the workaround, I'll have to try that out tonight.

I've been playing science mode, so I have not had the problems with career. Maybe a Kopernicus bug? Paul's config for KScale2 is very simple compared to other configs out there (e.g. RSS), and nothing suggests there would be any problem.

On a side note, for anyone experiencing the normal map bug for the Mun (i.e. looks like Kerbin's terrain is imprinted on the Mun), NathanKell released a quick fix for Kopernicus: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114649?p=2031266&viewfull=1#post2031266

Edit:

Hmmm... the dll he provides isn't working for me. Oh well, the bug only affects the visuals.

Edit 2:

Attempted again and it worked. Don't know what was going on. The log was originally indicating the assembly couldn't be loaded. Maybe a botched download.

Edited by stevehead

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.