KScale2 1.2.2.3 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

Sure, I'll give it a look. Let's hope it doesn't add too much RAM usage, I already got a memory leak somewhere among my mods that forces me to restart the client every hour because memory just never stops climbing upwards during play, and every extra part reduces the time I have before crashing. =/

Maybe I can prune some parts that also come in wedges, at the very least...

Edited by Streetwind

I dislike procedural parts with a passion, sorry :P I want to play with Space Lego and assemble things out of premade pieces with beautiful, unique models and textures. Procedural parts, when I tried them out, made building more fiddly, less creative, and made everything look the same. I can see that others might like it, and good for them, but it's really not for me.

Re: Universal Storage... I'm not sure. It's not offering me the thing I'm looking for, which is a small and convenient life support container. Sure, I can load up a quadcore with a wedge each for water, oxygen and food, but then I have a 1.25m part with life support resources for 147 days... and a giant amount of wasted weight and space, because there's water for 168 days and oxygen for 384 days. It's completely impractical, especially if I just want to go to the Mun for 5 days.

What I want is a lightweight, tiny part that adds a couple of days worth of life support by itself, so one or two Kerbals can go on a mission that only lasts a week or so. TAC LS is the one mod I have found so far that comes anywhere close to this, with its inline 0.625m 30-day container and the radial 20-day hexcan. Still overkill for one single Kerbal going to the Mun, but ideal for two, and great for going to Minmus. I think I'm going to stick with that instead. Nice models on the wedges though, I'll give you that! :)

I started a similar career game, too. No Remote Tech, but with FAR and SETI Contracts. SETI contracts start with unmanned probes and slowly build up the game until the first kerbaled Mun landing.

This has worked in a very well balanced way so far. In contrast to the stock start, the lighter probes get much more easily into orbit and to the mun. So there is enough opportunity to get upgrades for kerbaled missions. In a stock scale game this doesn't matter too much. But stock career with K2Scale is horrible :) No way to build well designed crafts with the starter parts there.

Just wanted to report.

i have KScale2 configs already for New Horizons, they will be in my next update...

I have been using K2 with OPM and I went out to sarnus today. Hale and Ovok SOI appear to be inside the body of the moon. I am not sure what I have done wrong here but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this?

I have been using K2 with OPM and I went out to sarnus today. Hale and Ovok SOI appear to be inside the body of the moon. I am not sure what I have done wrong here but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this?

You did nothing wrong, this is one of the things that can happen when resizing small bodies. It can be fixed by adding %sphereOfInfluence = 150000 to the @Properties node in the compatibility patch. OPM does do something like that by default since the latest version actually, have you made sure that everything is up to date? In any case, this should fix it I think (paste into a new .cfg file and drop into /GameData):

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
@Body[Hale]
{
@Properties
{
%sphereOfInfluence = 150000
}
}
@Body[Ovok]
{
@Properties
{
}
}
}

But stock career with K2Scale is horrible :) No way to build well designed crafts with the starter parts there.

Just wanted to point out for the benefit of other potential players that this statement is completely false. Stock career progression with stock parts works perfectly fine in KScale2, and there are no issues with vessel construction.

If anything, it feels remarkably on point with the KSC building progression. Orbiting a Kerbal is possible with all tier 1 buildings, but pushes the launchpad to the very limit of its capability. You upgrade that, and begin LKO operations with rescue missions and tourist contracts, which work at the limit of the 30-part allowance of the VAB. Then you upgrade that too, and you can extend your reach to Mun and Minmus... where building a manned return mission bumps right into the mass limit of the launchpad again. Upgrade that, and you're set to go interplanetary. It feels almost as if KSP was designed for this size, rather than the actual stock size. ;)

(There is one issue with planes, which lies buried in the fact that the survey contract needs to be set with extremely large distances or it freezes the game when trying to find a location to survey. As a result, all contracts suitable for early plane flights tend to be at least a full third around the enlarged planet, if not further. This is an issue with ALL system resizes running off of Kopernicus.)

You did nothing wrong, this is one of the things that can happen when resizing small bodies. It can be fixed by adding %sphereOfInfluence = 150000 to the @Properties node in the compatibility patch. OPM does do something like that by default since the latest version actually, have you made sure that everything is up to date? In any case, this should fix it I think (paste into a new .cfg file and drop into /GameData):

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
@Body[Hale]
{
@Properties
{
}
}
@Body[Ovok]
{
@Properties
{
}
}
}

The fix you provided did not work. Perhaps I am installing OPM and Kscale2 in the wrong order or something? I am trying out CKAN and same problem persists even after adding your config bit here.

The fix you provided did not work. Perhaps I am installing OPM and Kscale2 in the wrong order or something? I am trying out CKAN and same problem persists even after adding your config bit here.

Hmm... I took a look at all the involved configs and did not spot anything that would mess with SOI settings. Does this problem occur on a clean install?

Edit: Things are working for me, so make sure you have everything installed correctly. Installing KScale2 and OPM through CKAN should be fine, then add the OPM compatibility patch from this thread. Make sure there are no leftovers from other planet packs or rescales as well. The patch I posted should strictly speaking not be needed as OPM does this too since the latest version.

Edit2: One more thing that you could try is searching for a file containing the string "finalizeOrbits" in your GameData folder (use the command line for this, if you do not know how, google for your specific operating system) - if you find it anywhere and it is set to True, set it to False.

Edited by Tellion

Hmm... I took a look at all the involved configs and did not spot anything that would mess with SOI settings. Does this problem occur on a clean install?

yep, but I am trying a clean ckan thing one last go at it. In order kopernicus, opm, kscale2

yep, but I am trying a clean ckan thing one last go at it. In order kopernicus, opm, kscale2

hmm everything seems to be working but....the inner planets are way out from the orbit rings the map shows they are supposed to be using. hmm

hmm everything seems to be working but....the inner planets are way out from the orbit rings the map shows they are supposed to be using. hmm

SOIs working is a good start, but I am not quite sure what you are referring to now. If the inner planets seem to be too far out or the outer planets too far in, it seems like the compatibility config is not being applied.

Correct, the atmosphere hasn't been resized. It's not really necessary either, considering stock Kerbin's atmosphere is much taller than you'd expect it to be. Earths atmosphere ceases to be significant at less than twice Kerbin's atmosphere height, yet Earth is 11x as large as Kerbin! With the planet enlarged by KScale2, the atmosphere feels more believable, and lets you appreciate the sheer scale of the planet more. ;)

Kerbin still rotates once per six hours. That means it has a higher surface rotation speed (giving more of a boost to prograde launches and making retrograde launches even harder). Geostationary altitude probably increased, but I haven't gotten to test it yet (I will soon).

Can't comment on the year lengths of planets traveling around the Sun. But there's basically two variants: if the orbital speed stayed the same, year lengths increased; if year lengths are the same, orbital speeds increased. It's probably the latter, but as mentioned I don't actually know.

SOIs working is a good start, but I am not quite sure what you are referring to now. If the inner planets seem to be too far out or the outer planets too far in, it seems like the compatibility config is not being applied.

Not sure what was happening but landings on hale and ovok have proven possible. it appears to be working now! Thank goodness and thanks for the help.

Correct, the atmosphere hasn't been resized. It's not really necessary either, considering stock Kerbin's atmosphere is much taller than you'd expect it to be. Earths atmosphere ceases to be significant at less than twice Kerbin's atmosphere height, yet Earth is 11x as large as Kerbin! With the planet enlarged by KScale2, the atmosphere feels more believable, and lets you appreciate the sheer scale of the planet more. ;)

Kerbin still rotates once per six hours. That means it has a higher surface rotation speed (giving more of a boost to prograde launches and making retrograde launches even harder). Geostationary altitude probably increased, but I haven't gotten to test it yet (I will soon).

Can't comment on the year lengths of planets traveling around the Sun. But there's basically two variants: if the orbital speed stayed the same, year lengths increased; if year lengths are the same, orbital speeds increased. It's probably the latter, but as mentioned I don't actually know.

A quicky test for keosync orbit shows a 6 hour period at approx 4306 km this is just an approximation. (after further testing 4306.3 circular seems to be around perfect for keosync)

Edited by Harusee

I've had a lot going on IRL, so I haven't had much time for supporting configs and mods of mine. Let me know if anyone is having any issues with the compatibility config for OPM. I'll also try adding compatibility to other popular planet packs if they do not have a double-scale config included. I'm hoping today I can find some time to get it added to CKAN.

I absolutely love this mod (especially with OPM). The new difficulty level feels perfect and the increase in scale on visuals is much more immersive than vanilla. Thank you very much for your work.

EDIT: I am playing it in career mode with the changes made to contracts that someone suggested a few pages back. No probs encountered.

What is the new minimum velocity for achieving a stable 70~80 km orbit? I like the stock-a-like nature of the mod, but I still want to research it a bit before I try. I actually attempted x10 rescale once and I just... got frustrated by my inability to reach orbit (I know realize that modded parts would have been required).

What is the new minimum velocity for achieving a stable 70~80 km orbit? I like the stock-a-like nature of the mod, but I still want to research it a bit before I try. I actually attempted x10 rescale once and I just... got frustrated by my inability to reach orbit (I know realize that modded parts would have been required).

It's slightly above 3km/s from memory (I don't have ksp open right now)

Yeah, I finally tested it. Around 3300 m/s to get into orbit, and 4850 m/s to escape Kerbin. It's fascinating... I wonder what this new Kerbin would have to be made of. I know the stock one needs to be as dense as lead or something crazy, but with all of this extra volume KerbinX2 must not be as implausible.

EDIT:

It's a pretty linear progression. Normal Kerbin has a radius of 600 km, which would necessitate a density of 58 tons per cubic meter. Around 5 times the density of lead.

While your new Kerbin (assuming the new radius is 1200 km) would need a density of ~29.05 tons per cubic meter. Around 2.5 times the density of lead.

Edited by PTNLemay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.