The fairings.....

montyben101

The stock fairings are beyond bad... I'm sorry but they are restricting and look pretty awful too. I'm not complaing about them not being clamshell (though that is a big problem too) They don't let you place them how you want to place them and kind of snap into place which forces you to make giant bloated fairing sometimes wider than the rocket itself.... Sorry squad but these need some serious fixing as at the moment they are the worst fairings I have seen (not gonna lie, they are)

Edit: forgot to mention how they dissapear if you take the rocket off to edit the payload.

Why is everyone giving out about the fairings?

1) I know you aren't talking about them not being clamshell, but still, it's cool how they shatter off.

2) They do let you place them how you want to place them. The snap thing only happens when moving the fairing close to the centre. And if the fairing is wider than the rocket it self, then it's your payload that's the problem.

3) I don't even know what you are on about when you say they disappear. Sorry if that sounded rude, but what do you mean? I take the rocket of and the fairing stays. I just have to edit it slightly if the payload is too tall.

In short, the fairings aren't a problem, and hey, as long as they serve their purpose (which they do for me), I'm ok with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why they didn't incorporate the excellent proc fairings mod. Must have been a reason for it.

They're both procedural fairings when you think about it.

So far the fairings are a double edged blade for me. The draw your fairings makes me love it (the delta 6925 metallic fairings were finally possible!) but the confetti makes it bad when I try to make "interstage fairings", because it doesn't allow me to see trajectories in map view if even a tiny bit is slamming onto the side of a vessel. The textures are pretty meh, but I can live with it. Some fairings on subassemblies disappear, or if I re attach them. I must say though, it allows me to draw new shapes for rocket stages, and allows many diameters of parts (visually). The system is very frustrating to work with, cause it pretty much says " you can make your fairing like this, but no clipping!" The fairing base texture is bad too...

Edited by SaturnianBlue
More points to why its bad.

100 per cent agreed!

They are amazingly bad to work with. In fact unless you place two points before creating the main body of the fairing it isn't even straight!!!

The bases are ugly and almost impossible to hide and still have them function properly. They are ugly and buggy too. They are worse than EVERY FRIKKIN mod fairings available..

How they could look at them and say, yes, I do not know.

Come on Squad! Get a grip and admit that if you cant do something, pay someone to do it for you! At least then we get a product that actually works!

I feel very strongly about this and given the amount of time we waited for them we are right to be pissed.

I, too, like the "draw your fairing" approach. I wish it was a bit less arbitrary in where you can place a bit, and I very much wish there was a way to lock/protect a shape after you finally made it. But the general approach suits me much better than Procedural Fairings.

And yeah. Confetti. Why?

I always have to rebuild fairings when I disconnect them from the core part, and then add them back in.

For the snap problem, I don't really see an issue. If you're using a fairing that's the same diameter as the part above it, the first step just needs to be slightly outward, then you can build straight up from there.

My biggest problem is getting it to form interstage fairings... often I give up, close the fairing, and clip the next part through the end of the fairing.

11051972_10103582138552453_2244033946117548209_n.jpg?oh=29d5854f09324ce6317a151378af6719&oe=55EFC2A9

Also, It would be nice to be able to modify their cross section.

often I end up having the fairing be draggier than the unshielded payload, or its better to just use no fairing and add some nosecones and such to the payload.

I sure would like to be able to make an oval cross section, instead of a circle:

11162346_10103554253743833_3626059503456663543_n.jpg?oh=3fd49c87f3c449b5d217a55918058d64&oe=55EE91AB

Hy montyben101

You are right some kind, me would like to have fairings that could be tweakable in stock, like 2, 3 or 4 -part clamshells witch can also be tweaked by the power of deployment...

Some times they get stuck in my vessels... but for this there is a new Stockbugfixmodules solution IIRC.

I like do this with fairings, i hope when SQUAD does make a change, this still will be possible for me:

jENJZuL.png

Let us hope for the best, patience... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mikki
Typo, sure:)

They are amazingly bad to work with. In fact unless you place two points before creating the main body of the fairing it isn't even straight!!!

Yes, yes it is...

They are ugly and buggy too. They are worse than EVERY FRIKKIN mod fairings available.

I'm sorry but ProcFairings are absolutely hideous and don't ever shape to the way I want them to shape, even with advanced mode.

At least then we get a product that actually works!

They do work >_>

Why is everyone giving out about the fairings?

1) I know you aren't talking about them not being clamshell, but still, it's cool how they shatter off.

2) They do let you place them how you want to place them. The snap thing only happens when moving the fairing close to the centre. And if the fairing is wider than the rocket it self, then it's your payload that's the problem.

3) I don't even know what you are on about when you say they disappear. Sorry if that sounded rude, but what do you mean? I take the rocket of and the fairing stays. I just have to edit it slightly if the payload is too tall.

In short, the fairings aren't a problem, and hey, as long as they serve their purpose (which they do for me), I'm ok with them.

- - - Updated - - -

They're both procedural fairings when you think about it.

Fairings aren't a serious problem.

i totally disagree. well... they are a bit too heavy, but everything else about them is awesome :D now, this is just my opinion, and it's really a matter of taste. i really ike the textures and i don't mind how they separate, and my favourite thing about the fairings is that you can "model" them any way you want and use them as an interstage. closing interstage fairings is a bit annoying because it's buggy, but it's no big deal and i think Squad will fix that in 1.0.3 (which is coming out really soon).

i think Squad did a fantastic job making these fairings.

Fairings aren't a serious problem.

Exactly!

- - - Updated - - -

i totally disagree. well... they are a bit too heavy, but everything else about them is awesome :D now, this is just my opinion, and it's really a matter of taste. i really ike the textures and i don't mind how they separate, and my favourite thing about the fairings is that you can "model" them any way you want and use them as an interstage. closing interstage fairings is a bit annoying because it's buggy, but it's no big deal and i think Squad will fix that in 1.0.3 (which is coming out really soon).

i think Squad did a fantastic job making these fairings.

Yeah! Hi-five bro!

This probably isn't intentional, but that looks like a KSP pun to me. Ike? XD)

I think my main problem with them is the angle snap when they are put close to being straight, for most 2.5 meter payloads on the 2.5 meter fairing it means that the fairing HAS to bloat out even if it could be must more streamlined. The textures arn't THAT bad but look a bit funny if they are repeated :P

The stock fairings don't suck. They do what they need to do even if its not the most elegant solution.

I much prefer the draw your fairing method of placement, but the engineer in me cant stand for their mass. I find myself using pFairings whenever I need this wonderful thing called efficiency.

Outside of bad mass balancing and the BS "Cannot engage while stowed" on interstage engines (Squad, hurry up and fix this one), I have minimal problems (I run stock clamshell fairings so confetti is wholly optional).

Too heavy.

And they make it more difficult to strut payloads than they used to be.

Otherwise I have found them to be workable, and they have been necessary to get some of my payloads to fly stably.

I would be satisfied with the following:

* Fixed interstage fairing UI/placement options

* tweakable ejection force

I would be happy with the following:

* reduced mass

* clamshell tweakable

* some sort of way to secure the payload, so it doesn't flop around and clip out of the fairing/ some way to secure the fairing to both ends when one makes an interstage fairing (*if* one is even able to achieve that).

1)They are soooo heavy ! it's sometimes better not to use any, even though you get a drag penalty your deltaV will still be higher.

2) Confetti. WHY ? how ? what's the advantage of confetti over clamshell ? the small pieces get stuck in between other parts of the rocket way too often...

3) the texture... that's subjective, but really, the yellow line repeating over and over when the fairing gets long looks very weird. Can we have them just white ? or have the option to choose ? I'd also love to have the flag on the fairing, but hey, it's not that important.

4)last but not least : the placement in the VAB ! the fairings do not fit with the adapters ! if i have a 1.25m payload atop a 1.25->2.5m adapter and underneth that a fairing base, the fairing will clip through the adapter and cannot be placed !!! You have to make some kind of lip, make the fairing wider than the base (much wider than the payload) in order to build it. The only way is not to use an adapter.

And then there's the fact that the text saying wether it can be placed shifts from light green to light brown, difficult to see, and sometimes when you click while it says that you can't place a cross-section, the text will never turn to green again... Very very annoying.

Also i wish that it was possible to make rounded fairings, so far they are always pointy-ish.

Very last thing, why are the fairing bases so heavy and so large/thick ? Having to use a 1 ton part for a very small interstage is disturbing

EDIT : forgot to mention the interstage fairings that cannot be closed around adapters (you'd think that's were an interstage is closed....) and that provide no structural joints like the engine fairings do, along with the "cannot activate engine while stowed" nonsense.

EDIT 2 : Don't get me wrong, the fact that we have fairings is awesome already, this is just a list of stuff that could objectively be improved, i'm not whining as if it was terrible (although some aspects are...). The stock fairings are better than the nothing we had before.

Edited by Hcube

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.