[1.3.0] Solaris Hypernautics v0.5.5- latest virtual particle technology!

Carbonjvd

What should be put into the next updates?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What should be put into the next updates?

• Bigger badder engines
    • More powerful resource parts
    • Tweak what's already there

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Could it be possible to have a smaller version of the "zubrin" engine for small crafts? I want to make an Eve lander but the size of the engine is a problem. The ship is oversized with big landing legs and 3,75 parts.

To me, your mod is one of the best and, since I installed it, all my ships have several of your parts in them.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty Guys!!!

I'm still not dead, pfff! Its now at update v0.4.6 that makes the mod officially, and finally, compatible with the 1.0.5 KSP. Sorry for the delay, life stuff you know, but I'm back! The updates will be flowing again, but not as super fast like last year. That's that!

Now for the update! This was mostly a minor one that checked compatibility from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 that was long over due. Nothing was changed between except the fixing of the gemini tank names on medium and large variant. Future updates will be adding the new thermal mechanics into the various parts like the reactors and magnetic coolers!

Thanks again for all you loyal downloadists!

@bice A smaller Zubrin engine, I'll give a look to see if there's a balanced way to introduce it a few updates down. Thanks btw for the compliment!

@Probus Since the gemini tanks and virtugenics have had their in-code names fixed, it should be functional for Engineering Tech Tree! And of course thanks for the support!

Edited by Carbonjvd
Wrong guy...

DSEV "Rucksac" mkV Being readied for its expedition to Duna. the mkV is the first DSEV to implement the "Perpetuum Mobile Concept". By levering ISRU technology and Virtual Particles tech from Solaris Hypernautics. This should ensure mission success where other missions would stall due to resource scarcity. 

http://www.ksp-players.com/en/logbook/Denko666/posts/16815

... To get you motivated Carbon ;)

Edited by Denko666

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the next update, very clever! The thermal system is proving rather tricky to play with, especially the cooling features, so the next update won't have all the thermal systems updated. I still have to put in the working craftfiles for the ships provided. One last note, since the mod site KerbalStuff is no longer online, I'll be switch to its successor Spacedock.info for all future updates. Of course Curse will still be used, but almost nobody uses it anyways. So the next update will be out in a couple of weeks unless I can miraculously crack the thermal system sooner. Have fun guys!

-Carbonjvd

I had been hoping for a mod that added some sort of 'force field' reentry heat shield. I found it. Not only that but this mod's sci fi style parts are just what I was looking for to complete so many ships of mine. Thanks for making it & keep up the good work!!!!

We have another update, and I've solved the thermal system!!! *queue applause* That was an interesting one, but everyone should see an improvement of the magnetic cooling units to actually do their job and cool stuff. The reactors have also been updated with core temperatures and such, so they'll be much more realistic in their functionality. In the process of updating the magnetic systems, I've also gone ahead and made the magnetic charge in the Magnetic Drag Array and the Retro Prop Thruster more potent so they should work better has heat shields now! Leave a post for more suggestions for future updates! :D

The craftfile downloads have been updated on KerbalX::Beta, so they should work again for all of you, hopefully.

Edited by Carbonjvd
Craftfiles updated too

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Carbonjvd

First, I want to say that this is a really nice mod, the parts and models are well done and everything works just as you'd expect it to :)

Offsetting the power and gameplay-changing aspects of this by making the parts very heavy is a good idea, there were a few moments when I thought this mod was far too OP until I tried to build a functioning, self-refuelling ship out of the pieces and realised just how big and heavy it would end up being. Kudos!

That said, there are a couple of things about it that bug me, so a little constructive criticism from me (sorry)!

1. The reactors run on Ore. I understand why you want to make it stock-compatible, but the parts themselves can create ore, so it's not a limitation. The Community Resource Pack has a variety of nuclear fuels that could be used as an alternative, it might be worth doing an MM patch to change the fuel if it's installed, or just make it part of the pack, or use a fuel that is not quite as easy to make on-the-fly. 
  2. Across Near Future, USI Reactors and (to a lesser extent) KSP-Intersteller Extended, the reactors have a (broadly) similar output that is higher than your alternatives. So there's nothing to stop somebody from powering all your goodies with a better reactor from a different pack. From a balance perspective, it might be worth upping the respective outputs and power requirements of your parts to make them more ... competitive?
  3. If I remember correctly (I'm writing this after dropping the mod a week ago), there's no catchup processing on refocus. So leaving a station running and coming back to it after doing something else meant it hadn't produced or consumed anything. If I'm wrong please ignore this, but if this is still the case, including this feature would be a big plus.

I really did enjoy a brief play around with this mod. I like the idea of having refueling stations in important places, but not the grind of maintaining them, so I saw this mod as filling a niche for slow fuel regeneration at a high initial cost (and weight) setup; slow, stationary (orbital) resource accumulation. 

For additional complexity, have you thought about making the dust accumulation gravity-dependent? Requiring the presence (or absence) of gravity to get efficient production? Also, if you're content with the current reactors requiring ore (which isn't unreasonable at all) it may be worth re-branding them as high-efficiency ore-burning generators. The game has Ore drills, ISRU, and fuel cells so it's not a leap to repackage this all into one part. 

Hope you found some of that rambling helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.2.2016 at 8:57 PM, Carbonjvd said:

Just a quick update on the next update, very clever! The thermal system is proving rather tricky to play with, especially the cooling features, so the next update won't have all the thermal systems updated. I still have to put in the working craftfiles for the ships provided. One last note, since the mod site KerbalStuff is no longer online, I'll be switch to its successor Spacedock.info for all future updates. Of course Curse will still be used, but almost nobody uses it anyways. So the next update will be out in a couple of weeks unless I can miraculously crack the thermal system sooner. Have fun guys!

-Carbonjvd

Will this have any effect on CKAN?

• 2 weeks later...

@DrelamCKAN should still be unaffected, I checked a month ago and it was fine.

@KielmThanks for trying out the mod and for the constructive critique! Now to answer your suggestions:

1) I can see your point in wanting a more specialized fuel for reactors and other nuclear based parts. Those kinds of changes are a possibility for further expansion of the game, I've looked into it since the beginning but to keep it stock compatible I left it as ore for the nuclear fuel substitute. So a possibilty for the future!

2) They're less powerful? Well I can't have that now can I? In the next update or two I'll be amping it up!!

3) The catch-up processing is one that I'd like to fix but is eluding me. So once I figure it out, I'll be releasing the fix in the next update.

Making the dust collection to be gravity dependent is an interesting idea, though making plug-ins would be leap in modding for me. Renaming them? Eh maybe.

Thanks again for the feedback!

-Carbonjvd

Edited by Carbonjvd

@Scientia1423The parts were given new, but similar functions to the original Ion Hybrid Pack along with the few Future KSP parts it came with. So yes and no. I can release a vanilla Ion Hybrid Pack in the near future, I'm working on updating the existing mod for 1.1, which I'll also make the new Ion Hybrid Pack 1.1 compatible. Hope that answers your question!

-Carbonjvd

Edited by Carbonjvd

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Wolves_Hero said:

Hope update done on 1.1, this mod feel like cheated easy renewable fuel just 1 stage launch lol.

I'm not so sure what you are trying to say... but for my part, i really love this mod and i cannot wait to have this mod back in my KSP game.

All the best to Carbonjvd!

Its been a while, but KSP is finally at 1.1 and the mod has been appropriately updated to v0.4.8!!!

Along with making sure everything is working as it should I've added a couple of tweaks to the cosmetics and emissive constants. The Magnetic Drag Array and the Retro-Propulsive Unit both now have a built in active radiator to assist with the cooling even more now. The biggest change in this update is that all reactors have had their electricity production increased by 50% to help be more competitive with reactors from other mods, woah!!

In a different direction, due to the request of an updated Ion-Hybrid Pack, the mod that Solaris Hypernautics originated from, I have produced one!

Enjoy your nostalgia once more! BTW, these are the original uses of the models so if you use both mods at the same time you'll see repeats of these original parts and their reimagined brethren.

Have fun everybody!

-Carbonjvd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.