Hey! Whatabout some new parts?

So, we've all enjoyed the entering of new parts like fairings, heat shield etc. to the game. But wich part do you still miss?

For me, it's the very early space technology like baloons and even tinier rockets

What are your thoughts??

There should be some atmospheric engines such as propellers, since going straight to jets is a bit unrealistic. As for futuristic technology, maybe there should be at the very end of the tech tree something like upgraded ion or plasma engines and maybe something like the DT Vista fusion engine from interstellar mod. Maybe also some airliner parts to build crafts to carry huge amounts of Kerbals (300+:D).

More station modules, more base modules and habitats, radiators, bigger jet engines, nuclear power reactor, and some kind of end game propulsion system, also, maybe some hinges or other moving parts.

More station modules, more base modules and habitats, radiators, bigger jet engines, nuclear power reactor, and some kind of end game propulsion system, also, maybe some hinges or other moving parts.

Exactly my thinking...:)

But having too much of anything is sometimes not... anything... it should stay a challenge. Stock parts now are a good challenge in my opinion.

Let SQUAD decide at last, its their child.

Edited by Mikki
Typo, suuuuuuure

Oversized, colored text is always so convincing. :rolleyes:

I'd like some more rocket parts. High efficiency 0.625m and 2.5m engines. 2.5m LF tanks. Much larger landing legs. Radiators, insulators, and heat pipes. A 2-kerbal cylindrical 1.25m Hitchiker. Larger RTGs. Larger heatshields for aerobraking. That sort of thing.

Oversized, colored text is always so convincing. :rolleyes:

I'd like some more rocket parts. High efficiency 0.625m and 2.5m engines. 2.5m LF tanks. Much larger landing legs. Radiators, insulators, and heat pipes. A 2-kerbal cylindrical 1.25m Hitchiker. Larger RTGs. Larger heatshields for aerobraking. That sort of thing.

Spot on.

Also, you've gone off stealth mode!

A loading ramp for Mk 3 fusulages. "Widebody" Mk 3 cargo bays and adapters so rovers fit more easily. A space station hub that automatically rotates. A few mostly decorative space station parts like greenhouses and habitat modules so our long-term space missions feel the part.

The most important: Add for the LY50 and LY99 landing gears: suspension, steering and lights that work.

It would be nice to add for some fuel tanks switchable fuel types (like in B9 Aerospace).

This option can reduce the number of parts in the part list (maybe save some memory), for example instead of having 3 same size fuel tanks with different fuels (Liquid fuel, Liquid fuel+Oxidizer, Monoprop.) you can have one tank with switchable fuel type by means of right click...

Other parts that would be usefull: Mk3 tail cargo ramp (like in B9 Aerospace), Empty Mk3 cargo section (like cargo bay but without doors), Propeller engines (like the turboprop in KAX), Electric propeller engines, more station parts like the gravity making rotating ring, or at least the center rotating hub (we'll do the rest with the existing parts)...

I know that there are mods for that, but I like to play stock. I have a small selection of tweaked parts from different mods that I put together in a "personal mod" that I use.

I know a lot of people (even some of the other people on this thread) are talking about having a 2.5m nuke engine. I know that just about every stock-alike mod that I have seen comes with one, and there are no shortage of people on the threads talking about it, so we know the idea is popular. Personally I think this would be a good idea to have stock. It would save me from having mother-ships with 8+ nuke engines on them. I envision a 2.5M nerv engine with ~300 thrust with the same ISP. If squad thought the idea was unbalanced in the past, they can fix it now by making the large nuke engine more expensive.

A .675m and 3.75m nuke engine would be nice too, but the 2.5M one is on the top of my most-wanted stock parts list.

While I'm on the subject of nuclear engines, I know a lot of people have asked for this since the release of 1.0 and the change to nuke engines only using liquid fuel. We should really have dedicated Fuel/Oxidizer tanks, so that I don't have to incorporate plane parts into my interplanetary mothership. Don't get rid of the current tanks, or the plane parts, just add a few new ones that hold just liquid fuel or just oxidizer. Though on the top of the priority list is a 2.5m tank that holds only liquid fuel, made to go with the 2.5M nerv engine that squad will never make...;.;

I also considered the idea of smaller dedicated IRSU modules. (For example you have one small IRSU that fits into a 1.25M stack and can only convert ore into one fuel type.) So you would have three 1.25M refineries, one for liquid fuel, one for oxidizer and one for mono propellant.Balancing might come with the fact that these are slower or require more power. It would also make sense if these were unlocked before the combo IRSU. This isn't one of the ideas that I think is more necessary or potent, but it would be sort of cool to have.

How about an inline monoprop engine. The game has a (dare I say this pun) stellar selection of standard bi-propellant rockets. We need a few more monopropellant engines to level the playing feild, since they are such a novel concept and I have found them so useful. I imagine something similar in profile to the LV-909 with the 1.25M profile a little more thrust.While I'm at it, can we get a more powerful mono-propellant RCS block? I see a lot of stock-alike mods with this implemented. Simply put it should probably have about 8-10 thrust and could keep that angular design that most RCS blocks have.

More 2.5M habitat modules for things like lavatories, sleeper modules, dining modules, greenhouses, engineering stations, etc would be awesome, and give a nice means to flesh out space stations and planetary bases. I love the IVA look of the current laboratory and would love to see more views and modules similar to that. They would also be awesome for incorporating into contract requirements for bases/stations. It would also be fun to have them in contract requirements for tourism. (Example: Visit a dining module on Duna) Also, think of all the snacks jokes that could be made if we had a dedicated dining module.

A Magnetometer, Spectrometer and Surface Analyzer would be new science experiments. Pretty straightforward what each one can do. Magnetometer meausres the magnetic field of a planet/moon. Spectrometer preforms spectral analysis to determine things such as surface and atmosphere composition. Surface Analyzer allows you to preform a rudimentary analysis on soil samples. (Good for probes/rovers, not so useful for manned missions)

More 2.5M habitat modules for things like lavatories, sleeper modules, dining modules, greenhouses, engineering stations, etc would be awesome, and give a nice means to flesh out space stations and planetary bases. I love the IVA look of the current laboratory and would love to see more views and modules similar to that. They would also be awesome for incorporating into contract requirements for bases/stations. It would also be fun to have them in contract requirements for tourism. (Example: Visit a dining module on Duna) Also, think of all the snacks jokes that could be made if we had a dedicated dining module.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but having a greenhouse module part and a generic "living quarters" part would be nice to add character to stations and interplanetary missions even if they didn't actually do anything special by default.

less parts - more bug fixing/culture/story/fill text/tutorials/everything else.

I can't do much about the bugs but if you want culture, check out Sumghai's thread on kerbal space cuisine. For story, the Fanworks forum has stories of all styles and lengths. The Fanworks library is a bit out of date (mea culpa :( ) but is still a reasonable place to start browsing.

Oh, my. What new part would I ask for?

Surface refueling hoses.

I bet THAT was a surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also like docking cameras built into docking ports.

Bimodal nuclear thermal rocket engines (that can generate electricity as well as provide propulsion), plus retractable radiators for same. Also, compact nuclear power reactors (which can use the same radiators).

Folding fins. Grid fins such as the Falcon 9 uses, and conformal fins that fold flush against the body when closed. I want these so that I can change which direction a ship will want to face, so it can have different launch and landing configurations.

Inflatable heat shields to protect large diameter payloads.

And surface refueling hoses, of course.

3.75m "Motel" Crew container

2.5m "Nuke" NERVA

Larger RTG

2.5 and 3.75m Nuclear reactors

1.25m "Dusk" Ion engine

Radiators

2.5m Mk 3-4 Orion-like command pod, seats 4 (Jeb, Val, Bill, Bob)

3.75m Mk 5 command pod, seats 6

Fuel hose

Magnetometer

Particle collector (for asteroids and solar observatories)

ScanSat-like parts

Procedural Heatshields

Edited by Laythe Dweller

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.