Atlas Spacecraft Systems (Stockalike VASIMR and Argon Tanks)

5ewj85C.jpg

Stockalike VASIMR and argon tanks

Download

vQdc1yt.png?1

Known Bugs

- Kerbal Engineer doesn't recognize power change

- Atmosphere curve doesn't work

- No FX

ATTENTION- This release is most likely buggy and unbalanced. I would recommend that you do not use this in a career save.

Parts

Vasimr

The VASIMR rocket uses radio waves to ionize argon, and accelerates the superheated gas out of the nozzle using magnetic fields. It can be used at a high efficiency, low thrust mode, or a lower efficiency, higher thrust mode. However, it requires huge amounts of electricity to function.

8xOzlJW.png?3yHCS7YY.png?2Ssjmb1V.png?2DwWq7pK.png?2

Liquid argon has a boiling point of -185ËšC, compared to oxygen at -183ËšC and hydrogen at -252ËšC.

It's density is 1.39g/cm^3, close to liquid oxygen's 1.141g/cm^3.

Fuel tanks

I made some custom tanks, but the parts made by Porkjet that I was using for inspiration were unused and far superior to anything I could make in the near future. They had no license, so I was free to use them. I have sent Porkjet a PM asking for permission to put my VASIMR and these tanks in a download together, and have not gotten a response yet. We're good to go!

mmomFnA.png

CHX0vTD.gif

This tank would inflate using argon from full tanks on your ship. it would allow you to save space and pack your ship into a smaller fairing for launch

xzyrVj3.jpg?2

Nuclear Reactor+Radiators

Will happen eventually.

How this is different from NFT

Really, it isn't. I made this to try my hand at modding ksp. If people like it, I will try to make it more unique and different.

Credits

The argon tanks were made by Porkjet, not me. The NearFuturePropulsion plugin was made by Nertea. Go give 'em some rep!

Please, suggest anything that you want below. I love hearing your ideas!

~SmallFatFetus

Edited by SmallFatFetus

I'm agree. Selfsufficient VASIMR mod is very good for many people but option to make it NFT-compatible will make it great! :)

PS models looking good, but isn't VASIMR nozzle must be simply conical?

o_1076171.jpgThe-VX-200-prototype-VASIMR-engine-that-could-potentially-be-apart-of-the-next-Mars-mission..jpg

Edited by ZobrAA

@Freethinker Thank you! There's no license yet, because I haven't finished the unity work, so there's no download. I will contact you as soon as I finish the parts and get them into the game.

Thank you all for the encouragement!

SmallFatFetus

Alright everyone, I have fixed up some of Porkjet's old argon tanks!

mmomFnA.png

These may end up in the release or I might replace them with my own models eventually. See the OP for more info.

Also, I got the VASIMR in the game! it currently has some wonky stats, but it is fueled by electric charge and argon.

Stay Tuned!

Edited by SmallFatFetus

I suppose it's time to let you guys mess around with this!

DOWNLOAD

Known Bugs

- No FX

ATTENTION- This release is most likely buggy and unbalanced. I would recommend that you do not use this in a career save.

Also, the argon tanks were made by Porkjet, not me. The NearFuturePropulsion plugin was made by Nertea. Go give them some rep!

License? Mods, if I got this wrong, or I don't need it here, please let me know.

Edited by SmallFatFetus

Alright, I suppose it's time to let you guys mess around with this!

DOWNLOAD

Known Bugs

- No FX

Also, the argon tanks were made by Porkjet, not me. The NearFuturePropulsion plugin was made by Nertea. Go give them some rep!

License? Mods, if I got this wrong, or I don't need it here, please let me know.

Just alittle boo boo in your files your tanks don't show up you have

MODEL
{
model = [COLOR="#FF0000"]StockalikeVasimr[/COLOR]/Parts/argonTanks/Ar1-4R
texture = tanks_AR, [COLOR="#FF0000"]StockalikeVasimr[/COLOR]/Parts/argonTanks/tanks_AR
texture = tanks_NRM, [COLOR="#FF0000"]StockalikeVasimr[/COLOR]/argonTanks/tanks_NRM
}

Shouldn't it be

MODEL
{
model = [COLOR="#0000FF"]SmallFatTechnology[/COLOR]/Parts/argonTanks/Ar1-4R
texture = tanks_AR, [COLOR="#0000FF"]SmallFatTechnology[/COLOR]/Parts/argonTanks/tanks_AR
texture = tanks_NRM, [COLOR="#0000FF"]SmallFatTechnology[/COLOR]/argonTanks/tanks_NRM
}

Thank you! I didn't use DDS because I'm not sure how to export it in unity, plus I didn't want to over-complicate things. Next release will most likely have it.

I modeled and uv unwrapped a reactor yesterday. It's done in Nertea's style, filling the gap between the 1.25m reactor and the 2.5m reactor, which is very tall. So here's a quick render, prior to texturing:fzm3G2p.png?1

And a textured render will come later.

Here it is!

ENfkKgy.jpg?1

Edited by SmallFatFetus

• 1 month later...

~Update~

I am on a bit of a hiatus while I take a summer class, so it's going to be a little while before I get back. I also need to renew my photoshop license, so no new updates for at least a few weeks.

When I am able to return to modding, I will delete this post and let you guys know what I'm working on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.