PS4 Announcement Discussion

DuoDex

No dev time lost thanks to the kind people at Flying Tiger, who have shown us fantastic progress with getting the game working on the PS4. Also they've been great to work with as well, as Unity 5 was something both studios could work on at the same time and it really, really increased the speed at which we progressed through that project.

Worry not, 1.0.3 is still being worked on and you shouldn't have to wait much longer for it.

Edit: And you'd be amazed at how well the DS4 works with the game. We certainly were ourselves.

I think I can say on behalf of everyone else, we demand this Squadcast be played on a controller. Doesn't have to be on PS4, but it must be on a controller. I think we all want to see just what you can actually do with NO mouse or keyboard.

(Bonus points if, for budget cuts reasons, you just use an NES controller)

Annnnd I can breathe again! As I don't own a PS4 I really don't care how it will work out.... Good luck and fly safe Flying Tiger!

Except for the fact that Flying Tiger is a mobile game studio, perhaps that's a good thing that they are used to working with low computer power devices. Perhaps a mobile port is in the works?

I think I can say on behalf of everyone else, we demand this Squadcast be played on a controller. Doesn't have to be on PS4, but it must be on a controller. I think we all want to see just what you can actually do with NO mouse or keyboard.

(Bonus points if, for budget cuts reasons, you just use an NES controller)

You're implying I can play even with a keyboard and mouse.

Except for the fact that Flying Tiger is a mobile game studio, perhaps that's a good thing that they are used to working with low computer power devices. Perhaps a mobile port is in the works?

Yea, I'll just amend my statement to "Good Luck, you're gonna need it."

Also they've been great to work with as well, as Unity 5 was something both studios could work on at the same time and it really, really increased the speed at which we progressed through that project.

You say "progressed", as in past tense, does that mean the Unity 5 upgrade is complete? Because that would be awesome.

No dev time lost thanks to the kind people at Flying Tiger, .... they've been great to work with as well, as Unity 5 was something both studios could work on at the same time and it really, really increased the speed at which we progressed through that project.
Emphasis added: perhaps you mean are progressing? You make it sound like the KSP on PC / Unity 5 engine update, is close to release. Which does not seem likely ;)

Edit: ninja'd by Randazzo, posted in the same minute ;)

Edited by basic.syntax

You say "progressed", as in past tense, does that mean the Unity 5 upgrade is complete? Because that would be awesome.

Heh, Unity 5 update before 1.0.3. Seems legit.

Controls work out well so far. We'll share diagrams later. And of course, like future versions of KSP (not 1.0.3, we're not that fast) it will run on U5.

Alright, looking forward to those diagrams.

I could explain my reaction in a whole paragraph but I could get the gist of it with this:

What the .... Squad. You told us to trust you guys. ;.;

Also, where the hell are our devnotes and 1.0.3?

SQUAD? Hello?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, for some reason that I can not possibly explain, I longer see Squad as some sort of little indie game company. Instead, it's starting to look more and more like EA. I bet next week's devnotes will be the announcement of DLC. Mark my words.

Edited by mythbusters844
removed memes

The more the merrier, I say.

As for those concerned about keybindings not mapping, I'm willing to bet something like this will be utilized:

ffxiv-indepth-ps3-action-set.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV plays great on both the computer and PS3/4, and I actually use my controller when playing on my PC occasionally. The way it works is you have shoulder toggles that remap all eight face buttons to your hotkeys (which are fully customizable), and you can set up to eight of these, giving you 64 buttons easily accessible on the controller.

I can't speak to how well building rockets will work using thumbsticks, but people have made some crazy stuff in Minecraft on the XBox, so who am I to judge?

Can't blame Squad for wanting to crack another market.

Unless Squad are going to do something stupid like force us to play the game via gamepad, I don't really understand the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is going on.

Minecraft and Terraria seem to manage just fine on PC with console versions also being available. I agree that the PS4 is probably not the ideal platform for KSP, so what? We will continue to have the superior version on PC. All this does is open KSP to a larger market, which is most likely a net positive.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, for some reason that I can not possibly explain, I longer see Squad as some sort of little indie game company. Instead, it's starting to look more and more like EA. I bet next week's devnotes will be the announcement of DLC. Mark my words.

Um. I remember SQUAD saying that there would be DLCs a Loooonnnnnggggg time ago.

Its part of the early access agreement too. I think.

Could use special moves from fighting games. Forward fireball for action group 1, reverse fireball for action group 2, double dash forward for landing gear, double dash backward for brakes, etc.

Seriously though, what exactly is the point here? Are there that many people who have a PS4 but not a Mac/Windows/Linux machine?

Could be compiling them as we speak, could be there isn't anything of note to share other than this.

Also drama llamas confirmed.

We're not drama llamas. We just want Squad to actually develop the game we paid for, not expand it without fixing the core game's massive blatant flaws.

Um. I remember SQUAD saying that there would be DLCs a Loooonnnnnggggg time ago.

Its part of the early access agreement too. I think.

I do know that Squad announced DLC a few months before I joined the forums, but we don't have paid DLC services yet. I was implying that they would announce the start of a paid DLC service.

Edited by KasperVld
play nice.

Squad doesnt have the manpower for this. They're gonna overstretch and kill the game. They rushed 1.0, they didnt even give us a proper beta cycle, and now they're porting a game that taxes the hell out of even the strongest of hand-built gaming desktops to consoles with very limited processing power. My faith that they know what they're doing is becoming increasingly strained.

I will happily be pleasantly surprised if the influx of funding leads to team expansions (its shrinking scarily fast right now) and massive improvements to the game as a whole (I smell optimization coming) but I reserve the right to be a cynical, critical, skeptic until proven otherwise.

Early adopters are getting screwed

Literally no

with there 1 person testing it

Where the hell did that number come from?

Squad doesnt have the manpower for this.

Which is why there's a second studio on this. Do you not read?

We're not drama llamas. We just want Squad to actually develop the game we paid for, not expand it without fixing the core game's massive blatant flaws.

And Squad IS developing the game you paid for. So no, you're just drama llamas.

Edited by Tankman101

You're implying I can play even with a keyboard and mouse.

I've seen you. You flew to orbit that one time. And the other times. And then you stranded a hero at Ike. And later you killed him. Good times. Great fun. That's over half the fun of Squadcast, the other being teases about upcoming KSP news.

read: pictures and announcements

*preemptive snip*

Thanks Max, for taking the time to come on here and share some stuff with us. We really appreciate all the hard work that goes into this game!

That's what he really wanted to say.

Squad doesnt have the manpower for this. They're gonna overstretch and kill the game. They rushed 1.0, they didnt even give us a proper beta cycle, and now they're porting a game that taxes the hell out of even the strongest of hand-built gaming desktops to consoles with very limited processing power. My faith that they know what they're doing is becoming increasingly strained.

SQUAD isn't doing the port.

edited out for unnecessary rudeness. :blush:

Edited by Endersmens

Early adopters are getting screwed, 1.0.3 and unity has been silent for weeks with there 1 person testing it.pc is getting screwed

You sir are being unnecessarily hostile. You do not appear in a position to speak on behalf of early adopters, not with a May 2015 join date. Us early adopters very much got our money's worth. We can be annoyed at the development direction, but we got what we paid for ten times over and can't complain in that regard.

- - - Updated - - -

SQUAD isn't doing the port.

Geez.

citation needed. source plz?

I apologize for not reading through the almost 20 pages of forum spam that is this chaos to find every detail. /sarcasm

Edited by Vanamonde
Reference to edited post.

Which is why there's a second studio on this. Do you not read?

I bet the PS4 version is going to end up more optimized and will run faster and use less memory than the PC version.

And thats's the rest of the answer to this guy's question:

...and now they're porting a game that taxes the hell out of even the strongest of hand-built gaming desktops to consoles with very limited processing power.
Literally no

Literally yes.

And Squad IS developing the game you paid for.

Which is why we have 1.0.3 right now and the game is completely optimized and has little to no bugs. It's acceptable for an early access game, but why stay in early access when you can go 1.0 and get money?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.