Devnote Tuesday: A big announcement

SQUAD

Okay, so I've been pointed to the Flying Tiger facebook page where they announce they're doing KSP's port. https://www.facebook.com/ftegames, so it's confirmed that these purveyors of questionable mobile games will be doing it. http://www.ftmobile.com/default.aspx

I don't know what to say. Were they the lowest bidder, or something?

Oh yeah. I can't imagine anything else.

For those who need a little more direct confirmation of the absurdness of this deal SQUAD is cutting, by the way, here you go. It's official.

jyQRPUz.png

Link to Flying Tiger's facebook here.

Joy to the world.

So, does anyone want to comment further on this decision, in light of the fact that the scad of "featured products" created by this shady, unknown studio that SQUAD claims to be partnering up with is made up entirely of software diamonds like these? Here is a lovely crop straight from their pages:

0EYi5ZL.png

Here, have a further look at a couple of screenshots of the gem Nova refers to straight from the mouth of the tiger itself:

Hookups-2.jpg

Hookups-0.jpg

This is almost beyond words.

People have come back from vacation so there wasn't much content to put in the devnotes that wasn't flat out spoiling the PS4 announcement. Thankfully I can say that the dev cycle on 1.0.3 is nearly done now, and you'll hear more as the week progresses.

Dude... I usually don't like to tell people how to do their job... but as somebody who has been a journalist for a respected newspaper for years and has delved into PR and is currently the main communication interface between our company and a lot of customers, I have to say something.

Posting the PS4 announcement into Dev Notes is like walking into the labor room during birth and screaming "Look guys, I bought a new house!"

This would have been news for the "Announcement" thread.

Just a slight error, right? I am worried it is not. I am worried you deliberately misused the Dev Notes to get more attention, because you know that people read those the most. You have read some of the comments here. If my speculation is correct you have toyed with your own customers' expectations and (even more worrying) with their trust.

Dev Notes are for Dev Notes. It there are no news on development, then just write another "Slow News Day" Dev Note. Or say "no dev notes today". Use the appropriate channels for the appropriate content. Otherwise we could basically abandon the forum structure and moderation, because if you can post anything anywhere you want, why shouldn't we?

There is only one remedy:

@Mods: Please move this thread to "Announcements" and rename it correctly. Thank you!

Regarding the announcement:

I personally don't like Sony or the PS4 (would have preferred you going for ID@Xbox, especially with the ability to use PC Mods on Xbox One, as Bethesda has announced for Fallout 4), but I can understand your wish to expand your awareness and income. So good on you. I am not excited about Flying Tiger, but maybe they just don't have any good gameplay ideas and are sound code monkeys. Who knows? I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

But being currently employed with a software development company, I am contesting your claim that outsourcing PS4 development will not affect PC development. I am pretty sure the devs will have to coordinate with Flying Tiger and / or show them how certain things are done or supposed to handle. As someone who wrote his thesis on a self developed usability test I am especially worried about that topic, since KSP is laid out for Mouse & Keyboard, so how could that be translated to a controller without being an abysmal user experience?

The next dev notes better be real dev notes.

This isn't a devnote this is an ad I don't follow the devnotes and get hyped when they tell me too just to be advertised too I already bought the game why are you using the devnotes to advertise to me? Part of me wants to be happy for squad but a much louder part just wants to rage for having my feelings played with like this ;.;

I just can't be bothered with that.

I'd rather have the current game debugged. Instead part of the team is going to work on a new platform.

Also :

"when you develop for several platforms simultaneously, the resource limits are set by the lowest common denominator"

(Warren Spector speaking about Deus Ex2)

As we all know, PS4 & Xbox1 are just mediocre PC rigs. 'nough said.

During its PlayStation Latin America event tonight at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sony revealed that Kerbal Space Program will come to the PlayStation 4 in 2016.

I stay away from hype trains, they are scary beasts. But, I think it may be much to early, even for experienced professionals, to start the train.

Excellent, so it'll come out for PS4 once PS5 is out? Brilliant.

At least give a small update on 1.0.3

Update: "LOL HAVE MORE BUGS!"

Also :

"when you develop for several platforms simultaneously, the resource limits are set by the lowest common denominator"

(Warren Spector speaking about Deus Ex2)

As we all know, PS4 & Xbox1 are just mediocre PC rigs. 'nough said.

Frightening.

Yay?

When 1.0 was announced I said it was a mistake to jump from 0.90 to 1.0, because it wasn't ready, which I believe was adequately demonstrated.

Now SQUAD is porting an unfinished game to a new platform, with less input capability. I can't possibly seeing this going bad....

My only hope now is we at least get 1.1 - which hopefully would be a 64 bit version on unity 5. At least then we can mod the game as needed.

Max said on reddit that this has been in the works for months, by the way. So yeah... it could be argued that it already has.

Really about when this these porting negotiations started seems to be around the time the communities concerns about squads decisions seem to have started falling on deaf ears especially about rushing beta and 1.0 they basically sold out in secret and had a publisher breathing down their necks. As much as they want to spin it otherwise what this devnote essentially is "surprise! we sold out months ago!" In-cre-dib-le news indeed...

Squad, you used to know how to communicate with your fans and customers. You did it well, and often. Reading your messages frequently made me happy.

Why did you change?

Goodnight, sweet prince...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.