Devnote Tuesday: A big announcement

SQUAD

I'm not yelling at them, I'm just wondering where the rest of the devnotes are.

I'd be a lot more forgiving and maybe even congratulatory if I had a version of KSP that didn't have a crippling memory leak bug that was introduced in a rushed patch that has then not been patched for three weeks because they want to do an aero rebalance or some other lame excuse.

But ya, its our fault, the people who supported them back in alpha.

"Disable that third party plugin and it'll be ok" - you know we're talking about a full-release, 1.0+ game, right? A, why is a full release game relying on 3rd party plugins and 2, why are end users having to do anything to make this full release 1.0+ game function correctly (i.e not leak memory like a sieve)?

I'd be a lot more forgiving and maybe even congratulatory if I had a version of KSP that didn't have a crippling memory leak bug that was introduced in a rushed patch that has then not been patched for three weeks because they want to do an aero rebalance or some other lame excuse.

To elaborate, in order to be constructive.

My expectations:

1) some sort of acknowledgement that 1.02 has a really bad memory leak.

2) If that memory leak couldn't be fixed in a timely manner, either due to bug-testing requirements or personal schedules, a roll-back to a v1.01 or 1.00 which did not have the memory leak. A different, perhaps less satisfactory (arguably) aero module is less damaging than a game that crashes too often.

3) Some sort of internal recognition within squad that announcing a PS4 port, without any real context as why I should care, would be met with a giant MEH from a forum/reddit board/etc. of PC users. It doesn't need to be a 1 page hour long post either. It could be a bulletized list. The way that this was handled shows a shocking lack of community awareness. It is not like this occurred in a vacuum. We had a number of teaser posts over a number of weeks that something REALLY BIG and REALLY COOL was about to be announced. yes it big & cool for you! Gratz! Seriously, Gratz. But its not big and cool for us. I don't know how this basic communication dysfunction happened, but I think Squad should realize that they made this happen by the way they generated per-announcement hype.

Fair?

--- another edit ---

"Yeah that's why it's getting fixed, but until the update you can turn off that plugin, a 3rd party plugin which has a bug in it.

Or you can leave it on and let your PC crash. "

Yes, and you realize that something like 80% of PC users dont use mods, right? As it happens, I do use mods, I know of the fix, and I would point out that the fix has its own disadvantages (like I can't monitor heat!), and while you may think that an acceptable response by a company is to say 'meh, go use a mod' (Which i will admit they did NOT do, YOU are putting those words in their mouths) I don't believe that's a proper response.

Edited by Seyvern

another thing about this PS4 announcment is the timing. its been weeks and we are still waiting on the next hotfix for the critical memory leak that requires end arounds to deal with.

If 1.0.3 was already out, I think the reception would have been much MUCH warmer.

Nope not in the slightest, check the past devnotes for info on the coming patch, PS4 support (and Xbox) has been asked for by this community and others for quite some time.

Keep on spinning, then. I disagree, obviously, as does most of this forum, and most of reddit apparently. And you can tell by my join date (earlier than yours) and my post count (much much smaller than yours) I've been part of this game for a long time, and it takes a lot to make me jump into the pig sty that is the internet.

You get the last word, internet warrior.

Heh, of 1609 members currently online, if they were all in disagreement we'd know it, same for reddit and elsewhere, Steam forums are doing fine by the way.

This kind of backlash isn't just limited to this announcement from Squad, I've yet to see a dev announcement from any game not get a small portion of the gaming community salty over it.

Fact is we get tons of info from Squad, haphazard as it may be, and by now people should be used to the shotgun nature, complaining about it doesn't change it :)

Oh and ObsessedWithKSP, it's better than inside out characters or guys with floating heads like we saw in a certain other game not too long ago ;)

Heh, of 1609 members currently online, if they were all in disagreement we'd know it, same for reddit and elsewhere, Steam forums are doing fine by the way.

This kind of backlash isn't just limited to this announcement from Squad, I've yet to see a dev announcement from any game not get a small portion of the gaming community salty over it.

Fact is we get tons of info from Squad, haphazard as it may be, and by now people should be used to the shotgun nature, complaining about it doesn't change it :)

Oh and ObsessedWithKSP, it's better than inside out characters or guys with floating heads like we saw in a certain other game not too long ago ;)

AKA yeah, we made a mistake but meh, everyone else does so that makes it OK.

And to think I held Squad or Deported or whoever holds the rights to KSP now in a higher regard... to hell with you guys and to hell with this forum. I'm out, peace.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Developers: Hey guys check out this thing we're finally able to talk about that we're so happy about we're throwing an image up here!

Community: HOW DARE YOU

I have a different take on it.

Developers: We have something AMAZING to tell you in the devnotes. You'll never believe it and it's just the best thing ever.

Community: Sweet! What is it?

Developers: It's so amazing and awesome, we have to delay the devnotes for a while. But it's totally worth it.

Community: Wow! This devnotes must be HUGE and PACKED with information if they have to delay it this long.

Clock: Tick tock tick tock.

Developers: Okay, here it is!

Community: :huh:

There is an ever-widening gulf of understanding between the developers and community. Has been for awhile. I think I know how this happened. The one developer who most likes to communicate has repeatedly demonstrated he's very very bad at it; totally clueless about how any given message will likely be received, and unwilling to do any damage control afterward. You should probably let somebody else do more of the talking for you. That would be better for everybody.

There is an ever-widening gulf of understanding between the developers and community. Has been for awhile. I think I know how this happened. The one developer who most likes to communicate has repeatedly demonstrated he's very very bad at it; totally clueless about how any given message will likely be received, and unwilling to do any damage control afterward. You should probably let somebody else do more of the talking for you. That would be better for everybody.

The funny part is that Maxmaps IS supposed to make the smooth transition from developers talking to customers, but the guy clearly forgot that the PC audience could not care less about a poorly made PS4 port.

another thing about this PS4 announcment is the timing. its been weeks and we are still waiting on the next hotfix for the critical memory leak that requires end arounds to deal with.

If 1.0.3 was already out, I think the reception would have been much MUCH warmer.

It's a close thing. 1.0.3 might have been out, except for the rethink on heat management and extra testing. The announcement was clearly tied to the E3 convention going on this week, that date wasn't going to move.

Funny you say this sal, since most of the posts in this topic are either saying that they do not care or complaining that this is the devs "incredible update" as described by Maxmaps. See, the thing is we don't care what next big cash point you guys are pushing for. We care about the game that you are providing to your loyal fans. We sure as hell once cared for Squad but years of lying, coverup, hushing of the masses, and promotion of a dumber, non-critically thinking fan standpoint has destroyed mine and many other people's faith in the company.

Six weeks. Not three.

In a "full release" game after being "extensively tested" by the "awesome experimentals team" that also missed that in 1.0.0 (the full release, mind you) adding a heatshield to your entry level capsule made it a deathtrap.

Six weeks. Not three.

In a "full release" game after being "extensively tested" by the "awesome experimentals team" that also missed that in 1.0.0 (the full release, mind you) adding a heatshield to your entry level capsule made it a deathtrap.

We can't know what was "missed" by the test team. They include many players on this forum, and some great modders who want very much to see KSP working well, so that their mods work, and fans of their mods will be happy. The test teams see a lot of stuff, report it, and then it is up to the developers to investigate, try to fix if it's a bug - or leave it, in the example of "rocket flipping" - which was a byproduct of learning how to fly in the new system.

@Seyvern: 1.0.3 is being delayed for more testing, partly because Squad was embarrassed by the problem that required them to rush out patch 1.0.2, six hours after 1.0.1. (The other part is a significant change to heating, which deserves a good long look.)

Did I say anything about rocket flipping?

No.

I talked about re-entering with a basic pod and a heatshield. Like you're supposed to do. Like every* player does early in the game.

Put the blame on the experimentals team or on the devs, I don't care which, either way is a rushed release.

Be nice if 1.0.3 was rushed a bit and fixed that memory leak. Redo the aero and heat models later, fix the crash causing bug now.

Woah guys. I don't care for ps4, but chill out, for jeb's sake.

you are acting like they discontinued the game. If somebody wants to play a much more limited game on a much more limited computer, it's their problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.