Devnote Tuesday: A big announcement

SQUAD

Max can you please actually release a statement and some information instead of just making disparate comments on twitter and reddit. You have a platform that allows you to put information in one place, try it out.

As Maxmaps said on Reddit they are actually working with some studio called Flying Tiger and they will handle the port. Flying Tiger is best known for terrible Mobile games, so thats fun.

I guess that is better than having the KSP team trying to do both. I still think its a terrible idea and it seems to be completely off the rails over there at this point. There's no direction.

Uh, why did they hook up with a company that is known to be bad at making mobile games?

At least they'll get the blame if it does down the drain.

Where did he say that? Would have been great if he said that in the forum post honestly.

Actually, he did.

No dev time lost thanks to the kind people at Flying Tiger, who have shown us fantastic progress with getting the game working on the PS4. Also they've been great to work with as well, as Unity 5 was something both studios could work on at the same time and it really, really increased the speed at which we progressed through that project.

Worry not, 1.0.3 is still being worked on and you shouldn't have to wait much longer for it.

Edit: And you'd be amazed at how well the DS4 works with the game. We certainly were ourselves.

Guys, think about it this way. Sure, everyone here is a PC-gamer and plays KSP on the PC and doesn't care about other consoles. But what about the people who can't afford the time and money to set up a PC, or already have a console, and thought that KSP was a really cool idea that they could not play? They wouldn't be a part of this forum of course, because they can't play it. But when they load up their gaming news website and an article mentions that rocket sim they liked the idea of being ported to a PlayStation4, and assuming they have a PlayStation4, their eyes are gonna light up, because they get to play Kerbal Effing Space Program!

And of course, as has been stated several times, the console dev team will not take away at all from Squad's work on the PC core game, and in fact has boosted the development of Unity 5 upgrade.

Yeah, this thing.

Squad...you've lost your mind. Consoles are usually known for having reliable and stable games.

That was like a century ago, today you'll get a 20GB patch and still can't play the utterly broken multiplayer.^^'

Stock KSP has been perfectly for me. Only issue is ofc the 1.0.2 heat gauge memory crash, but that one was very easily isolated.

Squad...you've lost your mind. Consoles are usually known for having reliable and stable games. Fix the lots and lots of bugs and polish the game first.

lol thanks ximrm I needed a laugh.

Yeah, introduce the new constantly crashing experience with pre-last-gen graphics to the ps4. If KSP were a finished game, then I'd have absolutely no problem with it. 1.0 means nothing and that game heavily relies on mods.

Edit: I take it back. Go Squad! Go! I'm really curious what's going to happen.

Edited by ximrm

PS4 hypetrain driver still avalable? I am a console pleb in my free time, I have a PS4.

Alrighty then. You've got high reputation, so I suppose so. You are hired as honorary Kerbal Space Program: Console Edition HypeTrain Driver. I reserve the right to fire you out of a canon and/or in a firebox at any time should you disappoint me. You have free reign to pick your HypeLocomotive. Diesel, Steam, even Electric, though I must say I do believe British Steam locomotives make the best HypeTrains.

I was expecting something of the lines of "1.0.3 will finally be production-ready despite changing a major version of the engine". Oh well, that still may stand, given that they still are focusing on the PC. I truly wish them best of luck with Flying Tiger, because they'll need it. Tons upon tons of the bestest of lucks. And if (when?) the port fails, I hope they don't take too much flak.

Meanwhile, I'll keep searching for bugfix mods.

I was expecting something of the lines of "1.0.3 will finally be production-ready despite changing a major version of the engine". Oh well, that still may stand, given that they still are focusing on the PC. I truly wish them best of luck with Flying Tiger, because they'll need it. Tons upon tons of the bestest of lucks. And if (when?) the port fails, I hope they don't take too much flak.

Meanwhile, I'll keep searching for bugfix mods.

1.0.3 will be a minor balance and bugfix patch. 1.1 will be the Unity 5 update.

I stay away from hype trains, they are scary beasts. But, I think it may be much to early, even for experienced professionals, to start the train.

During its PlayStation Latin America event tonight at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sony revealed that Kerbal Space Program will come to the PlayStation 4 in 2016.

1.0.3 will be a minor balance and bugfix patch. 1.1 will be the Unity 5 update.

So 1.0.3 will be the bugfix for the bugfix for the bugfix for the production release, which will precede a release candidate?

Is... is this the same Flying Tiger that's developing the port?

http://www.ftmobile.com/Products.aspx

I have something shameful to admit... I actually visualized your head exploding when the announcement was made.

I'm sure a BUNCH of us have been googling like mad, and we'll all probably find this: http://sardoose.rustedlogic.net/reviews/jturbo/index.htm

Here's the serious question: This is just a pass-through company, right? Do they just contract stuff out to rent-a-developers and take a cut? Companies of that ilk exist in the civil engineering industry also, and I've seen a few in the last 20+ years.

This should have been said before:

Maxmaps:

It's not taken away any time from developing or fixing issues that need fixing, thankfully. It actually helped us advance tremendously fast on Unity 5 work, due to teaming up with the kind folks at Flying Tiger and getting to hammer out a ton of U5 issues and bugs in collaboration before branching off again.

Source

(Edit: It's probably already been said... Worth repeating because people won't scroll back several pages to read everything)

Okay, so I've been pointed to the Flying Tiger facebook page where they announce they're doing KSP's port. https://www.facebook.com/ftegames, so it's confirmed that these purveyors of questionable mobile games will be doing it. http://www.ftmobile.com/default.aspx

I don't know what to say. Were they the lowest bidder, or something?

Edited by NovaSilisko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.