Devnote Tuesday: A big announcement

SQUAD

Huh. Color me genuinely surprised! In the past, whenever Maxmaps talked about negotiating deals with partners, it was things like printing rockets or making Kerbal plushies... which is nice and stuff, but not really that hype-worthy.

This, by contrast, is a bombshell. :0.0:

I wish you good luck with that project, and hope the PS4 community treats you better than the PC community does. Because honestly, some of the people in this thread have me feeling ashamed to be in the same forum with them. This, by contrast, is a bombshell. :0.0::(

Bombshell???? No... more like a firecrakershell. This really is nothing.

They hired a dubious subcontractor to port a buggy KSP version to a console. The real news is that Squad is committing money and resource too soon. This smacks of poor strategy. Ultimately getting KSP onto consoles is a really good idea.

Doing it right now ---> not so much.

yeah..... playstation 4???? that's your big news????

-sigh- I keep forgetting that before Squad started on KSP, they were a MARKETING company first and always will be. But Squad, you created a whole army of KSP fans who are now not going to let you off that easy, so maybe stop inflating this stoooooopid hype train and complete your product professionally. For instance - in what finished game do you change the graphics settings, only to have objects sticking through each other??? And i'm referring to the monolith outside the space centre and the oh so lovely way it half vanishes into the ground

- the doors on your house are nice Squad but you left holes in the roof! That is NOT a finished product.

So how about some dev notes, like everyone is asking?

They say it wont affect PC Developement. But it will mean that they cant implement new cool features for the next 7 years because they wont run on this allready outdated, slow piece of hardware. This is especialy the case for a CPU demanding game like KSP, every middleclass PC is way more powerfull than a PS4 CPU...

They say it wont affect PC Developement. But it will mean that they cant implement new cool features for the next 7 years because they wont run on this allready outdated, slow piece of hardware. This is especialy the case for a CPU demanding game like KSP, every middleclass PC is way more powerfull than a PS4 CPU...
That's a valid question, but, it seems Squad's answer is to go with separate builds. So, PC new features shouldn't be held back because of PS4.
... the two will remain separate versions of the game, much like the educational version TeacherGaming works on

If this is successful, they will have a new money stream which will help them with ongoing development of the game across all platform, providing the PC game isn't compromised or abandoned. So for us PC users, it could be a good or bad thing, we'll just have to wait and see.

To be honest the modding community is so good here, I'm no longer all that bothered by news like this. There are people in the community who make bug fixes and game mods of all shades, so why be so hot and bothered by what squad is doing at this point?

Wow, what a bunch of ingracious, self-entitled BS i see in this thread.

You didnt get a devnote? TOO BAD! NOBODY OWES YOUR ONE!

Why would somebody be MAD at the fact that a game they like of going to be on another platform? YES! OMG ITS FOR MONEY! BLESPHEMY! Are you mad that squad isn't spending all their time for you/ your platform specifically? Making THEIR game fit whatever image you happen to have in mind? Are you MAD that they want money to continue coming to squadHQ and spending all day working on KSP?

Squad is a business that relies on (OM MY GOSH!) money to pay their employees. Without employees, THERE IS NO FURTHER UPDATES TO KSP. Its not a @(&%^@ charity people. Your one time payment of whatever does not buy you slaves that work for the rest of their lives updating, tweaking, supporting, and upgrading KSP. Its money that makes it worth their time. The costs continue month after month and if the income doesnt, IT GETS SHUT DOWN. So dont be so suprised and offended when they do something to secure future funding for KSP.

ITS A BUSINESS! ITS NOT EVIL TO PURSUE MONEY! GET OVER IT!

Ah, I knew it was only a matter of time before the yelling about people being entitled started. Now we've entered the devolution phase of the Controversial Announcement Cycle.

Ook!* Ook!**

*-Indeed, one now expects comments from the feces flinging long-armed contingent.

**-Ook!

Am I reading this right, Squad signed a contract with another company to hand over the code to them for adaptation to the PS4 and all that Squad will have to do is cash in their share? Then what are these 17 pages all about?

With the majority of the developers on vacation the rest of the team is probably just hacking away on 1.0.3 - and with Max also on leave there is noone to whip the hackers into writing something for the devnotes.

Of course Roverdude could have been allowed to spill the beans! :P

My only request on this is can you PLEASE keep keyboard/mouse control as an option on the consoles.

Too many PC games have their controls dumbed down for console use and there really is no need as USB peripherals can be plugged in and used (as far as I know anyway) on the PS4.

Also, how will the modding community be affected by this platform change?

Not at all, afaik its simply not possible to mod the game on console. The moddig forum will be the only place to hide when the flood of console/casual players will bring an eternal september to the forums...

Everyone needs to calm down. PS4 is something that literally wont effect any of us. As Max already said a different team is working on it (so no dev time lost). Who cares how successful KSP PS4 is? We play on computers.

Whilst another team may handle the porting, I doubt highly this would exclude the need for dev time from the original team. Porting a game from PC to console properly requires co-ordination between both teams.

Of all games I never expected KSP to go console. With the sheer amount of time I spend in the VAB and SPH I couldn't imagine doing all that tinkering with a touchpad on a gamepad. This deal does seem to explain the rush for getting 1.0 out the door in a hurry. I am definitely a bit worried about this... my concerns stemming from 4 main points...

1; Potential for further rushed releases due to deadline pressuring.

2; Splitting of development resources due to new platform

3; Increased workload due to new platform development, but LESS employees at Squad due to recent departures

4; Potential for the original platform and scope of KSP to be compromised to appease console gamers and corporate bigwigs

ITS A BUSINESS! ITS NOT EVIL TO PURSUE MONEY! GET OVER IT!

A very dangerous statement. Historically, time and time again it has been proven how the pursuit of money can change and corrupt people. It's very common that the rich exploit those they deem "under" them in order to attempt to gain more money, control, power... and once you sign their contract, they essentially own you. The money isn't the evil thing, it's what people do to each other to aquire it... and frankly if you look at the big game publishers, you quite often see creativity, complexity, and uniqueness of developers suppressed in the pursuit of the quick buck.

If the road to hell can be paved with good intentions, I guarantee you that the pursuit of money can lead even the best of people down a darker path.

What the hay ?

How could you build a rocket with a gamepad ? Use scientific instruments ? Fuel transfer ? Action groups ? And what about .craft sharing ? Mods ?

We'll find out...

Here's a short FAQ to help explain what the PS4 version means for the PC version.

Why bring Kerbal Space Program to PS4?

As the fanbase of our game has grown, we’ve received a constant influx of pokes and requests from people asking us to bring our game to PS4. With the power of current generation PS4 and the flexibility and ease of use of the Unity engine, bringing KSP over to the PS4 is simply a no brainer. Space is for everyone, regardless of how you prefer to play.

How will the game work on PS4?

That’s another thing we had asked ourselves for quite a while and simply had to make a goal: We could simply not compromise on players’ experience. Thankfully, the PS4 controller has systems that make building and flying rockets just as easy and intuitive as the PC version.

How are you bringing Kerbal Space Program to PS4?

We’ve teamed up with Flying Tiger Entertainment to bring the game to PS4. They have experience and have shown us time and time again that they were simply the right choice to make sure that the players receive a quality game on their PS4, and not a lazy port.

Will this have a negative effect on the development of the PC version?

Absolutely not. If anything, working in collaboration with Flying Tiger has helped us speed up processes like the Unity 5 upgrade, but in general the two will remain separate versions of the game, much like the educational version TeacherGaming works on!

Edited by sal_vager

Wow, what a bunch of ingracious, self-entitled BS i see in this thread.

You didnt get a devnote? TOO BAD! NOBODY OWES YOUR ONE!

They don't owe us one per se, but they specifically said we were going to get one, and it would contain a great announcement. We not only didn't get one, but the announcement was not great.

This is like the old joke, doctor tells a guy "I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is, you have cancer and will be dead in a month." The man, horrified, asks, "please, doc, give me the good news now!" and the doctor answers "Just this week I cut a whole two strokes off my golf game!"

A PS4 release is great news... for Squad. It doesn't mean squat to us and it had nothing to do with the development of 1.0.3, which they - like the doctor and his "good news", implied was forthcoming.

Call me ingracious. Call me self-entitled. I don't care. I was told the rug was safe and they pulled it out from under me anyway.

And there we have it ladies and gentlemen. Squad has officially reached the fanbase dissonance event horizon, where no hope for a proper handling of the post-release strategy for this game can ever possibly escape. Here we have a once promising game bursting with potential now hobbling along as a disparate hodge-podge of incomplete features, imbalanced gameplay, and inconsistent styling that is (mercifully) completely fixable by third party modification, and yet due to the limited vision of what can only reasonably be described as an exhausted and impatient corporate structure none of these highly sought after improvements and rebalances have or will ever likely be remarked upon with any commitment or ambition. I am now fully convinced that the future of KSP lays solely in your hands, modding community. As somebody who does not nor plans to ever own a Playstation 4, X-Bone, WiiWiggle or whatever they're calling it now, I honestly (and forgive me for my bluntness) could not give two flying ****s about KSP being on PS4. Why anybody thought this would be a good idea is likely to elude me for many months, before I inevitably give up the good crusade of hoping Squad will ever again release a bit of news that is even remotely in line with the general concensus of the community it was made for and just download 42 gigabytes of realism mods.

I give up, guys. I'm so tired, and broken... Goodnight.

Took the words out of my fingers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.