Devnote Tuesday: A big announcement

SQUAD

They don't owe us one per se, but they specifically said we were going to get one, and it would contain a great announcement. We not only didn't get one, but the announcement was not great.

This is like the old joke, doctor tells a guy "I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is, you have cancer and will be dead in a month." The man, horrified, asks, "please, doc, give me the good news now!" and the doctor answers "Just this week I cut a whole two strokes off my golf game!"

A PS4 release is great news... for Squad. It doesn't mean squat to us and it had nothing to do with the development of 1.0.3, which they - like the doctor and his "good news", implied was forthcoming.

Call me ingracious. Call me self-entitled. I don't care. I was told the rug was safe and they pulled it out from under me anyway.

So true.

With every console port, the game developer is saying the pc version would not be affected, and it was never true. It is just a PR phrase to keep the pc gamers calm.

But at least there can`t be a graphic downgrade.

The step to ps4 is purly economical, I guess Ksp revenues from other stores are decreasing so that such a step was nesseccary.

Edit:hate mobile typing.

Edited by Alewx

and it had nothing to do with the development of 1.0.3, which they - like the doctor and his "good news", implied was forthcoming.

Ohohohoho i won't be so sure.

As much as the FAQ claims it has speeded up the process and we have be always at war with Eurasia, i find it pretty clear the real decision to force the U5 upgrade into 1.0.3 (which was original supose to be bug and memory leaks fixing) and the delays on it is because of this in the first place.

As much as the FAQ claims it has speeded up the process and we have be always at war with Eurasia, i find it pretty clear the real decision to force the U5 upgrade into 1.0.3 (which was original supose to be bug and memory leaks fixing) and the delays on it is because of this in the first place.

What on earth makes you think the next release includes a new version of Unity?

How about a KSP iOS companion app as well then?

thinking VAB and SPH in a standalone form that then let you dispatch the craft to your mainline KSP for flight.

building craft wants multitouch far more than game padding.

Did I sleep through most of the year and it's April 1st?

Have you forgotten that in Squad's Brave New World, April Fool's jokes don't have to take place on April Fool's Day any more?

Also in case anyone is jumping to the end of the thread and hasn't seen it yet, these upstanding people are the ones responsible for porting KSP:

http://www.ftmobile.com/Products.aspx

God, and I hoped for an announcement like "KSP 1.0.3 wil be released within the next 3 days" or so.

Then, I saw that crappy sign.

And then, I thought myself WHY THE HELL DID SQUAD DO THAT!?

Why would they want to bring this game, which can be really buggy sometimes, and which practically lives from the giant amount of mods, to the PS4?

Oh, of course.

Money.

Squad is a marketing firma, how could I forgot this. Let's just be happy that they brought the game this far.

I think this might be a good port if Squad is constantly yelling at the devs to make it right. Also, if is is a good port, I hope it has good sales.

I am in denial. I am in denial that these mobile mostly devs who's highest piece of tech they have gotten access to before this is the PS2. AND WHY IS THIS NOT FOR ROVERDUDE(caps)?!?!?!?!?

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

...the real decision to force the U5 upgrade into 1.0.3...

I literally know nothing about Squad's timelines or plans (obviously, as I thought yesterday's announcement was going to actually contain information) but I can guarantee you they would not put a major update to the game engine into a hotfix update. It'll be 1.1 at LEAST.

wouldn't this benefit from the Xbone's Kinect?

I can see (hear?) it now. "Xbox, revert!"

Have you forgotten that in Squad's Brave New World, April Fool's jokes don't have to take place on April Fool's Day any more?

^^^This...I'm willing to bet that they had nothing significant to report, or could report at this time, so they decided to pull a prank to start some speculation. Then again maybe not...(see what we're doing: speculating! Darn you Max :P

I think this might be a good port if Squad is constantly yelling at the devs to make it right.

I don't think Squad wants the devs to make anything other than money.

I'm a Playstation guy myself (although I won't be buying the PS4) but wouldn't this benefit from the Xbone's Kinect?

Nothing ever benefited from the Kinect. Ever.

^^^This...I'm willing to bet that they had nothing significant to report, or could report at this time, so they decided to pull a prank to start some speculation. Then again maybe not...(see what we're doing: speculating! Darn you Max :P

Hey, at least we didn't have to suffer thru Max playing the game horribly for an hour before hearing the announcement.

Again with the whiny entitled fanbase.

Of course nobody here cares about KSP being released on the PS4, because pretty much everybody here already plays it on PC.

However, Squad aren't your personal game-producing slaves. They exist for reasons other than making you happy with their every single action. One of those reasons is turning a profit, staying in business, and keeping the developers who have worked so hard on this great game in a job.

Grow. Up.

hmm this is the worst devnotes ever. I am done with SQUAD. No mention of how the fixes and Q&A team is doing. How about those great memory leaks? How about Unity 5 or some future plans till end of this year nothing. This was not the last drop but over drop in my cup for SQUAD.

The last game I witnessed making the jump from PC to Console was Warframe.

Which was all fine as far as I'm concerned... until they started adapting the controls... The menus on PC(!) suddenly were optimized for console controller inputs, the whole UI structure was 'consolified'. The gameplay was/is still brilliant, but the whole UI now feels as designed for controllers. Mouse users across the board filed complaints. I will not iterate every last point of the arguments here... Yes, you can still work a controller UI with a mouse, but it is severely(!) annoying.

Not playing that game anymore.

Please SQUAD, please understand the difference between mouse and controllers when designing editors and menus and do _not_ try to implement controller style to PC.

If you have any question on what are the particular problems the WF community encountered please feel free to ask, I will sum up some discussions if requested.

I couldn't care less about PS4, but still this port announcement bothers me for many reasons :

1-Every single time a PC game was ported to console, the PC version got trashed. As someone pointed out in this thread, Deus Ex developers once said that when developing for various platforms the development gets based on "the lowest common denominator" Scary...

Even though the game is ported by another developer studio (and what a studio, see in 2- ) teams have to communicate and coordinate and that does take time...

2-Why the hell is the game being ported by Flying Tiger ? A quick look a their (oh god awful) creations made my intestines convulse in weird ways. they honestly don't seem to be the right people for KSP...

Anyway good luck to them if they have to port a buggy,unfinished, CPU demanding game that runs on 2 cores only on a already-outdated console with 8 low freq cores ! :D

3-Where are the Devnotes ? i wait for every tuesday so impatiently and... this banner.

4-Where is 1.0.3 ? it's supposed to be the hotfix for 1.02, wich itself is the hotfix for 1.0.1, wich itself is the hotfix for 1.0...... Squad had said that 1.0.3 hotifx was imminent about 3weeks ago, and then it got "slightly" slowed down...

5-According to 4- why didn't we just get a super simple thermal gages hotfix while waiting for the main bugfix update ?

and then how do you even VAB with a controller ? How do you fuel transfer ? i look forward to seeing that anyway.

hey guys, at least there won't be any graphic downgrade, the game looks terrible already :D

EDIT : ninja'ed by this (about warframe)

until they started adapting the controls... The menus on PC(!) suddenly were optimized for console controller inputs, the whole UI structure was 'consolified'.

Reading this, I really really really hope that the new UI redesign SQUAD promised us for Unity 5 isn't linked to the PS4 port in ^^that^^ way. However the more i think about it the more plausible it gets... What do you guys think

Edited by Hcube

Nothing about 1.0.3? I'd really like to know how the aero/heating changes are going to work out before I commit to a new career...

(Sorry, Squad, but you can't really be disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm here for PS4. It's nice that you're going to be reaching a wider market, and we wish you every success with it, but everyone on here already has KSP for their PC, and it's a bit irrelevant to us - unless you're going to add in stuff about multi-threading, which is relevant, interesting, and exciting all at once.)

MaxMaps mentioned they were having a second developer called Flying Tiger work on the PS4 port.

I work in software development - integration and porting are software development efforts that are very complex, and Flying Tiger isn't just going to walk in and be able to port this software without the assistance of Squad. This WILL take up time and effort unless Squad is bringing on additional staff to assist the Flying Tiger team. Even after that point, what happens after the port is complete - will Flying Tiger maintain the port indefinitely? If not then Squad staff will be responsible for maintaining the port in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone needs to calm down. PS4 is something that literally wont effect any of us. As Max already said a different team is working on it (so no dev time lost). Who cares how successful KSP PS4 is? We play on computers.

Flying Tiger is not going to be able to waltz in and just do all the porting work on their own. They will need resources from Squad during the porting process. Beyond the port, someone has to be responsible for maintenance and further feature/fix porting - if not Flying Tiger, that'll be Squad's responsibility too. And then there's the issue of development focus - if Squad decide that console is the more valuable revenue stream development will end up starting on console, not on PC.

Well, good luck to Flying Tiger, having to port an incomplete and buggy game to sub-par hardware. Their track record certainly proves they're the cheapest best guys for the job.

Those two words are unfortunately synonymous right now, i fear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.