Devnote Tuesday: A big announcement

SQUAD

KasperVld:

That is great news and the rest is all good and just common sence (sadly lacking on much of the web), but just a tip: Please do not stray away from the regular Dev news next time, forum hero's love to eat that ;-)

Yep! Don't think this is a tradition for the devnotes, but this week HarvesteR, Mu and Romfarer had only just gotten back to work on Monday, so there really wasn't anything substantial to talk about. Next Tuesday we should have some good content in the dev notes again :)

Yep! Don't think this is a tradition for the devnotes, but this week HarvesteR, Mu and Romfarer had only just gotten back to work on Monday, so there really wasn't anything substantial to talk about. Next Tuesday we should have some good content in the dev notes again :)

Thought RoverDude was going to give more info on his "new featurette" for this weeks Dev notes, or am I not recalling correctly?

People are miffed because this is the devnotes page and this isn't a devnote. Everyone was expecting some good news about the development of KSP. :wink:

People are miffed because this is the devnotes page and this isn't a devnote. Everyone was expecting some good news about the development of KSP. :wink:

Well, from where I'm standing this was great news! And we definitely haven't forgotten about 1.0.3 if you're worried about that :)

Well, from where I'm standing this was great news! And we definitely haven't forgotten about 1.0.3 if you're worried about that :)

This isn't a dev note, particularly if we are to believe that this port won't take up any dev time. It's news. Move it to Announcements.

This isn't a dev note, particularly if we are to believe that this port won't take up any dev time. It's news. Move it to Announcements.

On the contrary, it concerns the development of KSP (albeit on another platform) and it's definitely the most noteworthy bit of news this week :)

I'm still amazed and saddened that the community does this every time* they don't get devnotes.

And I really don't understand how a console porting could be a bad thing. Especially since (so far) there is evidence that it will not take time from the development team.

*What's the ratio of actual devnotes to messages like this, hmm?

Good or bad, it should be in news then.

Covering up the fact that no development to speak of happened this week with this is to be fair and honest a teeny bit insulting. Sorry but that's just how I feel about it.

Well Squad, it seems we mostly respectfully disagree with you on this one.

I can see the benefits of this deal, with the whole "accelerated transition to U5" that seems to be absolutely necesarry for PS4 release, and those benefits spilling back to core PC project.

Now, on the other hand, I also absolutely am worried as much as anyone else that (outside of the previous ego issues) the game really might slip down the slippery slope and become something LESS than it is already.

What if:

Squad can push the game to even more popularity, without reducing it's quality in the process, until in the end the game (hold my breath, cross my fingers, knock on wood, rabbit's foot...) becomes a world wide phenomenon, to actually become more interresting that talking about popular tv shows that dumb people down?

I guess I'm a bit of an idealist here..

Being this aggressive probably isn't needed...

Although i agree with you, i don't understand why this didn't go in the announcements thread...

So finally what is to be expected in 1.0.3 ? Is it still only a fix ? Or is Unity 5 being packed into it and that's why it's taking so long ?

@Kasper : i think the reason why everyone is afraid of the PS4 port is because of what happened to other games that were poeted on console, it didn't really go well...

Well Squad, it seems we mostly respectfully disagree with you on this one.

I can see the benefits of this deal, with the whole "accelerated transition to U5" that seems to be absolutely necesarry for PS4 release, and those benefits spilling back to core PC project.

Now, on the other hand, I also absolutely am worried as much as anyone else that (outside of the previous ego issues) the game really might slip down the slippery slope and become something LESS than it is already.

What if:

Squad can push the game to even more popularity, without reducing it's quality in the process, until in the end the game (hold my breath, cross my fingers, knock on wood, rabbit's foot...) becomes a world wide phenomenon, to actually become more interresting that talking about popular tv shows that dumb people down?

I guess I'm a bit of an idealist here..

I share your idealism, though I'm sure there is a place for both challenging games such as Kerbal Space Program and care-free entertainment alike. To illustrate this: I play KSP, listen to classical music and jazz, and last night I was playing Farming Simulator.

So finally what is to be expected in 1.0.3 ? Is it still only a fix ? Or is Unity 5 being packed into it and that's why it's taking so long ?

1.0.3 will be a bugfix / rebalance release. We're taking our time with it to gather feedback from our experimental testing team who (and this is going to sound brown-nosy) are doing an excellent job.

@Kasper : i think the reason why everyone is afraid of the PS4 port is because of what happened to other games that were poeted on console, it didn't really go well...

I understand that, definitely. But projecting the failures of completely unrelated projects onto KSP, thus creating a one-sided picture and then stating that it will be the inevitable end of the prject won't help. There are plenty of good stories, too.

Edited by KasperVld
answering more questions

The thing is, most people play KSP because they like space (and Jeb). Most people that play PS4 like first person shooter games. They're probably not going to purchase a slightly nerdy (but fun) game like this one. That's what PC people like.

That is a very naive answer man. Yes they are not directly porting the game but there is no way in hell a mobile developer will be able to manage this on their own. Squad will be helping them every step of the way. The game is very complex now and making it work on the PS4 architecture will be tough. I bet it's more than a year away.

And how do you know Flying Tiger will be helping Squad move to Unity 5? I haven't seen anything saying that. If you have a link, provide it please.

Check the Faq Maxmaps posted here. You are right that it may take a while to do the port.
During its PlayStation Latin America event tonight at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sony revealed that Kerbal Space Program will come to the PlayStation 4 in 2016.

KSP has been in development for 3-4 years, the developers understand their code. I imagine many collaboration questions can be answered via email. Squad has already complimented them for their help with U5 thus far. The benefit of additional income from this port could, if wisely reinvested in development, help KSP on PC see new and interesting features sooner, rather than later.

The thing is, most people play KSP because they like space (and Jeb). Most people that play PS4 like first person shooter games. They're probably not going to purchase a slightly nerdy (but fun) game like this one. That's what PC people like.

That's definitely one of the preconceptions I was talking about. There are many great games on consoles besides shooters :)

1.0.3 will be a bugfix / rebalance release. We're taking our time with it to gather feedback from our experimental testing team who (and this is going to sound brown-nosy) are doing an excellent job.

It's unrelated I know, but pertinent. As players we only see the result. I'm sure the team are working very hard on it but when we only see the result, ie bugs, of course we are going to doubt this and complain.

That's definitely one of the preconceptions I was talking about. There are many great games on consoles besides shooters :)

Let me see...

AS I know... PS4 kidz like to play...

FPS, JRPGS (SquareEnix stuff), Hack & Slash, Arcade Racing, Fighting, Platformers, Sports...

And 80% of the ppl I know taht have a PS4, plays most of the time Pro Evolution Soccer... xD~

Well... none of these are even close in style or gameplay to KSP...

It's unrelated I know, but pertinent. As players we only see the result. I'm sure the team are working very hard on it but when we only see the result, ie bugs, of course we are going to doubt this and complain.

I understand that, but you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as they say. :)

Pro Evolution Soccer... xD~

I love that game :blush:

Payday 2 - Plattforms: Windows, Xbox 360, PS3

Never felt a problem, playing since release. :)

Lets make Squad swear a blood oath that console requirements will never interfere with PC-KSP development though. :D

Just because someone plays Call of Duty does not mean they aren't interested in a game like KSP. Personally I have played many hours of Call of Duty and Halo but I still love KSP and space.

Let me see...

AS I know... PS4 kidz like to play...

FPS, JRPGS (SquareEnix stuff), Hack & Slash, Arcade Racing, Fighting, Platformers, Sports...

And 80% of the ppl I know taht have a PS4, plays most of the time Pro Evolution Soccer... xD~

Well... none of these are even close in style or gameplay to KSP...

Just because they play any of the genres that you listed doesn't mean that they are not interested in other genres of games. A couple of years ago all I ever played was console and if I had found out that KSP was available on console I would have bought it immediately even though all the games I ever played were first person shooters.

Edited by panfish5

[...] but you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as they say. :)

No, you don't :-P

Anyways, We all love you and the game and whatever comes next!

That is why we are all anxious.

We know you have the potential to make this big and successful and amazing! You already proved that the last years...

Just understand that this will be a difficult journey on a stoney road, which many before you have already failed to go... we are all a bit afraid. :-)

I think we'd all welcome hearing their thoughts on the current state of play then :)

Something along the lines of "we agreed that 1.0.2 drag was too high and heat too low and this is looking like a better balance for both" or "we're not seeing jet contracts we can't complete with the available parts anymore" would do a lot to assuage the concerns of the community ^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.