KSP 2.0 - What would you expect (or wish) for a sequel?

carlorizzante

No KSP 2 probably for the same reason there is no Minecraft 2. KSP has no story line, the player just does whatever they want...

http://i.imgur.com/vW9Abxr.png

But if there was to be a remake of KSP, Lagrange Points would be neat, and maybe real sized planets.

Would not KSP 2 be a development of the first one. Which by adding things like oh say Lagrange Pointswould be a more developed theme compaired to the first?

Lagrange Points would be nice to have along with the ability to build bases/colonies that lets us build rockets else where. Which could use ore.

KSP 2 would be a reboot of the future, probably quite a few years, even a decade, in the future. The only thing I care a lot about for a reboot, starting over in terms of balance and design, would be a 100% Earth-Scale Kerbin. (But still Kerbin, not actually Earth.)

EDIT: And also cities and other things to make the game feel like it is on a thriving real planet. A larger space center that covers more area, longer distance to launchpad, better graphics, etc. All of those things are kinda given if it is created in the future.

Edited by GregroxMun

To everyone who wants more star systems. How would that work? I mean you would either have to have an entire galaxy or no other system. Otherwise it would be kind of strange just to have 4 or 5 stars sitting around.

It would be cool if they could really render a galaxy, and as your program advanced you could get farther and farther, endless exploration. You could visit the black hole in the center, etc. Try to find neutron stars, pulsars or whatever. I'm not sure how that could be done from a processing standpoint. Maybe graphically render the galaxy, but only have a limited number of star systems that are visitable.

Welding of parts, realistic flexing can happen through soft body physics.

This would make size not matter much anymore, and no "joints" stuff.

But what I really want is a game called Jebediah's backyard.

On this game you use handmade materials to put together rockets, and develop everything to them, yes they are toys.

Instead of modular building, you shape stuff however you like, and the game approximates the proprieties of the engine for instance.

On this game you don't really go anywhere but you can launch on competitions or to bring scientific instruments to high places, the game has a storyline and you are not totally free to do whatever you want.

With time you move from backyard to the school, then uni and finally you open jeb's junkyard (can also be the name of the game).

At a point you would start to drive them with RCs, and avoid falling on important stuff, as well as countering wind.

You could even go as far as developing liquid fuel engines, but then that would be very hard to simmulate properly unless modular.

Since there is no "best rocket" and this is a very simplified environment, it would be easy to have some kind of multiplayer competitions.

If possible this could extend to RC planes as well.

That is what I would like to see.

*from mobile, sorry for typos, etc.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111226-Kerbo-Log-Rocket-Club-AKA-October-s-Planets

I wouldn't like KSP to have a sequel, I would just prefer the original game to keep updating until nothing else can be added.

Though one thing I would like would be a form of Extraplanetary Launchpads in the stock game. That doesn't necessarily have to be in a sequel though.

Well, I think of branch offs from the main game. Like, a secret space program that uses advance technology or the main games space program is really a public face. I think that there future of KSP will be just DLC that add content that modders cannot make

I think the only things that could make KSP better is high-quality terrain, full-scale planets, and interstellar scale. Of course, in that case fictional devices such as warp drives or solar sails would be necessary, but hey, this is a whole new game!

I think the only things that could make KSP better is high-quality terrain, full-scale planets, and interstellar scale. Of course, in that case fictional devices such as warp drives or solar sails would be necessary, but hey, this is a whole new game!

Solar Sails are not fictional. If it weren't for its battery failure, the lightSail spacecraft would be using sunlight to go into the deep space.

First and foremost KSP 2.0 would have to use a new engine. Unity is easy, but it holds KSP back quite a bit. A better engine would mean you could build bigger ships with less lag and stronger part connections. A good looking engine (like Space Engine), plus things like deformable terrain (minimally stuff like Spin Tires, but maybe not as muddy) would be amazing. Physics would be the biggest priority, the other engine features else could come second, and then add all the other features could go on top of that. Basically, I'm not super pleased with Unity :P

Beside the physical game improvements such as graphics, 64 bits and the likes...

a playable story in-game, think something like Bob Fitch's series but you as the player perform missions to advance the story, and have cutscenes with voice actors for important plot actions... Imagine, you get sent to Laythe to investigate something, and upon entering it's SOI, the game pauses and you get a "Meanwhile" text on screen with a cutscene of stuff happening back home, or on duna or something... then they call you telling you to abort asap and do not land !

That would be so much fun.

AI competitors like the ones in Rairoad Tycoon. They do their own things, but everynow and then you take over or attempted take over against you and stuff like that.

I do not so much want to see a squeal, but see different iterations of the idea.

For instance, a Microsoft X like flight sim, but with slightly future tech. You'd be able to fly spaceplanes to orbit or ride rockets, as well interplanetary travel. So basically, KSP, but where I can pretend-time to be the astronaut, instead of being an invisible hand helping out my little green friends. I don't see rocket, plane, design as being part of this so much, but as a trade-off for being less physics intensive (because crafts would be constructed to be one piece, instead lots of separate parts flying in formation, attached with crazy glue), more realistic graphics. Also more flight simmy controls... ie autopilots, flight computer, twiddling knobs, pushing buttons. Etc.

Another iteration I think would be cool, would be Kerbal History of Flight..... a KSP focusing on pre-spaceflight aeronautics... starting with Wright brothers levels of wacky design, maybe up to spaceplanes in the end goal.

Finally, I I'm picturing a mobile game, where you have wait one real day after every launch, unless you pay real money .... I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!

What I wish for is a full scaled and realistic solar system with n body physics, graphical improvements, weather effects that actually affects your crafts and planets with actual things to explore.

Also would be nice if we could have toogle for physics, so that we can actually build giant bases without frame rates dropping to 1 digit numbers or having the entire base blow up because you added on module too much for what the engine can handle.

Edited by boxman

I've been playing a game called Sol 0 - it's a base building direction I think Squad could go in if they really felt like it. I think it's way too early to think sequels to KSP though. I think it'd be fun to see them try something completely different, but I wouldn't be interested in KSP 2 until KSP 1 was finished.

What I wish for is a full scaled and realistic solar system with n body physics, graphical improvements, weather effects that actually affects your crafts and planets with actual things to explore.[...]

Actually, I think we should make a very clear separation as to what we want to have. KSP is a space simulation game, which attempts to simulate space exploration with a very unique humorous side (the "Kerbal Way"). There are a lot of things realism-wise, which we could throw at the Kerbals, increasing challenge and fun. This is of course better aerodynamics, deadly reentry, heat, power and lifesupport management. I also would like to see the addition of e.g. weather effects on the planets (wind, rain, fog, clouds, extreme / high / low temperatures, humidity, acidicity, ...) which could affect our space craft.

However, what I do not want to see is KSP evolving into am Orbiter clone, which surely would satisfy those willing to deal with this particular challenge. But when I want to do that, I will install Orbiter. If that happened, I believe that KSP would loose about three quarters of its fan base.

- 64-bit only game

- seamless transition from VAB to KSC to Flight mode

- higher physics range (100+ km), without any negative side-effects, of course

- better graphics

- better UI (no more clicking through windows to trigger something beneath them by mistake)

- average PCs should be able to handle 150-part ships at 60 FPS, at least

- some sort of multiplayer

- more detail on worlds (cities on Kerbin, aliens on Laythe, etc)

- all 9 (or 8, whatev) planets of Sol kerballized

- more end-game content (colonization, terraforming, interstellar travel)

- more meaningful and story-like contracts

I don't think KSP is sequel-able.

I mean, really, anything that you would put in a sequel could be either updated or modded into the game, so what's the point? (besides making more money for SQUAD.)

The point is to fund the improvements of the game. The difference between KSP 1.1 and KSP 2 is that you would pay for KSP 2. This is perfectly fine for me, as long as KSP 2 is better enough.

Microsoft developed 10 versions of their Flight Simulator, I don't remember that anyone argued that they should have sticked to FS 1 and spent 20 years developing the improvements for free.