Refueler, interplanetary tug and station, mun/minmus science station

Basicly I have some 2 hitchhikers

And some lander cans . I can refuel it if I need to (preferably LKO since that's the on,y place I've ever docked. I have the mobile processing lab and plenty of scientists pilots and engineers. So here's the question I could add a engine area to it and make it mobile or just keep it in the kerbin system(it's my only station so if it goes I don't have a secondary station) so should I add a engine drive an go interplanetary or just keep it in the kerbin system?(I'm in science mode right now so money means nothing)

Edited by Aidan likes minmus

SO, let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly...

You have the following on orbit already:

-A science lab station

-Two Hitchhiker cans (presumably a part of the science station)

-A 2.5m lander cockpit (or several, doesn't matter)

Honest advice? If you're doing this as JUST science, without funds being a concern...

I'd build a station specifically for the mission you're describing. Add some docking ports to it so that you can change stuff out if needed. Engines, fuel tanks, etc.

Example (from top to bottom):

Clamp-o-tron

Mk2 Lander can at the top of the stack

Science Lab

Hitchhiker module with 8 Z-100 batteries (4 pairs) and 6 OX-4L 1x6 panels

One of the two Rockomax 2.5m-1.25m adapters

HubMax node with a mix of docking ports (I tend to run a spacer or standoff of some sort here to give the docking spacecraft some space between them and their neighbors)

If you have unlocked the 2.5m Clamp-o-tron Sr., I'd put another Rockomax adapter in and put the big port at the bottom, then a quartet of struts between the adapters to stengthen the hub section. At the back, you can now dock a variety of different engines and fuel tanks. If you get some exotic drive later on, you can simply fly back to Kerbin, undock the older drive module, and launch your new module to take you further out into the system.

Hope this helps!

If you have it saved, I'd launch another one for the next mission. After all, if it's as flexible a station as you're saying, and since funding's not an issue, I'd have one around Kerbin at all times, and launch another one for other missions.

What do you plan on doing outside the Kerbin system? If you're going for long term missions, all you really need is to pack in enough Delta-V. If you're bringing hefty payloads, therefore only have enough for a 1 way trip, then it would be advisable to have a fuel platform at the destination.

Well, they only use liquid fuel now, so you have to plan ahead and NOT have oxidizer in the craft. And yeah, they are low thrust... but most efficient engines trade raw thrust for the higher efficiency. Just watch the heat generation... They overheat extremely quickly now!

Should I go for duna or eve first

If the choice is Eve or Duna, I'd recommend Duna. Eve's *technically* closer (takes less dV to transfer to Eve), but it's harder to get back. Duna is all-around more forgiving and you may be able to include a lander.

However, Gilly (Eve's moon) is SUPER easy to play with, land on etc. I still think I'd recommend Duna first if you're just starting out though.

Then Duna will be an easy mission. A typical flyby encounter lasts a few hours, and the atmosphere is just thick enough to support aerobraking... provided that you've got retractable solar panels. (Might want to check your design for those before you commit to an aerobraking-dependent design. Personal experience on that one ;) )

Seriously, get Kerbals to the Mun and Minmus and send some unkerbed probes to other planets, with no intention of returning (just give them a radio!) - automated landers, rovers etc. Keep your orbital station as an orbital station; especially if it has several docking ports.

Also, check the Thrust Plate tutorial, make a Thrust Plate with 13 strongest engines and largest tanks you have and don't worry about bringing heavy loads to the orbit anymore. (seriously, I recently upgraded my Thrust Plate launch stage to Mammoth and the largest Kerbodyne tank, and while I looked away for a while with my new craft being lifted to the orbit, I found it on escape trajectory and the orbit reaching Duna, and not even 2/3 of the way through the last of the thrust plate stage fuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.