-nolog option doesn't work?

-nolog should stop the output_log.txt, or player.log, but doesn't prevent the KSP.log from being written, there's no way to disable the KSP.log at this time.

I see, ty. Still it would be nice. The sheer amount of log entries (especially with mods) impacts seriously on the performance.

I dunno if it's that much, the file is left open and constantly seeing single line writes, and from testing by others in the support section it doesn't look like file access is causing the lag or stutter issues, even for modded installs.

One of the biggest causes of lag seems to be the Unity garbage collector, it's job is to free up memory that was allocated to stuff by the C# code used for much of KSP by the devs and for plugins made by modders.

Unfortunately it seems unfixable, at least in Unity4x, but if anyone who uses Unity has an idea how to deal with it I can pass it along.

• 1 year later...

KSP is now giving me a KSP.log of more than 2gb after playing less than 1 hour... I tried to use the -nolog parameter but it's not working, obviously... I didn't understood why it wasn't working until I read this thread... I was thinking that -nolog was meaning "no log"...  Before, this file was growing to maybe something like a 100mb for each game session but today after I installed 5 or 6 addons at the same time, this KSP.log started to go crazy. I guess there is probably one of these addons that is spamming errors in the log file.  I don't know if it's errors or warnings because I didn't really wanted to open this 2.5gb file with notepad! Now I'll have to do some tests to find which addon is causing this excrements... It sucks because the game and all the new and old addons are still working fine even with so many errors in the log file! Thank you anyway for clarify this, I just lost about an hour trying to figure out why this -nolog parameter wasn't working for me...

This is a rather old thread but it's important to know what -nolog is and what it does.

First, it's a Unity3D engine command line switch, not something Squad added to KSP.

Second, it only disables the Unity3D log, which is the output_log.txt on Windows, and the Player.log on Linux and MacOS.

The KSP.log is not affected.

So if you have a mod spamming the logs it's best to deal with that mod, as log writes will still occur.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.