Redefine down for kerbals on surfaces

Disclaimer: I am a (mostly) non-programmer who has only tried my hand at modding once or twice in all the time I've played KSP. I do not know how the system is going to work behind the scenes once U5 is fully integrated into the game, and so this suggestion constitutes what is effectively a major wish of mine that I'd like to impose on the game and community. Fortunately, it sounds like now is the best time to pitch a suggestion like this, given how the game is currently experiencing a bottom-up overhaul.

So here goes. My suggestion is this: "Down" is any direction opposing the net force acting on a kerbal. That is it. The reason for this suggestion is because there seems to be two separate systems in place for kerbals on EVA. The first appears to govern kerbals on planets - they may walk unimpeded about the surface of the planet or moon they are on. The second is for kerbals in free-fall - floating through space, perhaps in orbit around the planet.

What I would like to see is just one system that covers both scenarios. The primary implication if this is that it would allow for artificial gravity, wherein a spinning ring or accelerating rocket ship would allow a kerbal to walk upon its surface. Currently spinning rings are a novelty that only allows other vehicles to experience the artificial gravityness. Why not kerbals, too?

Another thing I would like would be to see this principal extended to IVAs. Specifically, I would like to see the internal views in space reflect the zero gravity, or artificial gravity if it can be applied. We need not allow kerbals to roam the cockpits, but maybe putting a few physics objects in there would get the message across. This would also deter sideways habitats on planetary surfaces.

For the longest time, this has impacted my immersion, and now that you have the opportunity to fix it, I'd like to see it fixed. Thanks!

I don't think there's any real reason not to have sideways hab modules, as long as the sets can be swiveled! :) That would just remove some of the creativity of base design.

Another problem is that for the most part, you aren't going to be seeing a Kerbal on EVA in an artifical gravity setting such as is described. Would I love to see it? Absolutely! But until IVAs that allow movement around are implemented this is not likely to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.