Stupid things you noticed too late in a Mission

Leoworm

You name it, I've done it. Left off the little RSP engines. Left off enough batteries, left without anyone flying. Left without fins. Left without solar panels. Staging all wrong, blows up or just falls over and explodes. Put on drogue chutes instead of the real ones, kaboom. During Minmus EVA fell too hard, boom.

Wasn't paying attention and flew into Minmus.

* Putting the "flippy" landing gear on upside down having not used them for a very long time (attaching them "on the bottom" and rotating them 90 degrees into position.. the wrong way)

Haha. I also did this on my first moon mission.

I was so proud that my course was good, my speed was good, my fuel was good, my RCS fuel was good.

Then I realized I had attached them the wrong way round during final descent when I deployed them. :rolleyes:

Good thing it was an unmanned craft.

I forgot the decoupler between my lander and my transfer stage and my transfer burned all the fuel in the lander so jeb was stuck on Minmus for a week or so.

I was travelling over 900m/s in my new high altitude plane to reach the last "above 19,000ft" of a temperature scan contract. Seeing how the marker was on the other side of the planet I kept jumping to x4 and back to x1 to do any necessary course corrections/altitude corrections.

Noticed that my altitude was dropping, pulled up while still at x4 speed. It did not end well. 900m/s turned into 900 pieces of broken air craft. Oops.

Mid flight when turning on orbital station and research facility, realized I didn't put the proper people in their proper modules and had scientist piloting the return module and the pilots screwing around in the lab.

Oh how many times I've made a perfect rocket, went through years of burns, and orbits getting to my destination and back, burning down through the atmosphere... only to realize my perfect ship.. has no parachutes... ;.;

- - - Updated - - -

Mid flight when turning on orbital station and research facility, realized I didn't put the proper people in their proper modules and had scientist piloting the return module and the pilots screwing around in the lab.

That's a "Houston we have a problem" Kerbal style.

After decoupling the rover and leaving it at Minmus orbital station, I found the return vehicle not to have any power. Only batteries in the capsule and the probe core.

Luckily, it wasn't driven by the probe core, but by Jebediah Kerman himself. Jeb could start the engine, the alternator charged the batteries enough to let me turn for maneuver.

It was fun, as I had to stop at Mun orbit yet, on the way back, and the batteries lasted maybe fifteen minutes. So whenever I'd come from time warp, I'd first need to fire the engines to charge the battery, then calculate my maneuvers, and perform them. Luckily I had simply obscene amounts of fuel left...

"Prepare for final descent... chutes deployed... velocity at 3/ms... and we have touch down. Duna Recon Mission 1 has safely landed... Prepare Rover for deployment... Wait, we did remember to pack the rover, right guys?... right?"

oddly reminds me of when i open a bay for science ,and realize its empty.... so much fun.

Stupid? Too late in a mission, which was only supposed to serve to fulfill some of the mid-tier starting contracts regarding altitude, distance, and speed (we're talking "Reach 11.5km, go 450m/s" contracts here), I realized that I had grossly underestimated the capabilities of the design and that my ship was actually going to space.

Which is normally great, except that this ship in question was built for atmospheric flight and landing, not for reentry. It had a Mk16 parachute on a Mk1 Command Pod with two Goo containers, all stacked on top of an RT-10 "Hammer" Booster. No stack decoupler. Trials had shown that this was perfectly fine for launches that reached 300-350m/s velocity and 10-12km altitude... but it was not fine for a ship reentering the atmosphere at 1,400m/s.

R.I.P. Jeb, accidentally the first Koviet kerbonaut in space.

went to duna 3 times tonight...

1st ; a piece dissapeared, somewhere during launch..

2st ; forgot the tourist... i have 10 of them (which pays for my monstrous 900k mission)

3rd ; forgot the f.... antenna.... again... i swear, everytime i try to do a mission involving a station, i forget the antenna....

After visiting Moho and Gilly, decided to head to Bop for the heck of it. Forgot that sunlight isn't very strong at Jool, and I'm using ion engines. The long burns just got much much longer...

I'm trying to fill out the tech tree to level 5 without upgrading any of my facilities. Sort of a "caveman challenge". Anywho...

I send 2 launches to Mun, 1 with the lander/ reentry probe and one with extra fuel because the lander can't quite make it back on it's own. Lander makes the surface, collects science, reestablishes munar orbit. Tanker executes successful rendezvous and docking (essentially blind).

I'm almost home now. All I have to do is transfer the fuel, do my escape bu... Wait a minute... Why won't my fuel transfer?? :huh:

Turns out there's no resource sharing until you upgrade the science facility.

I had to shut down the engine and tanks on the probe, use the tanker to push them both into a periapsis just short of escape, detach the tanker and crash it into the Mun with the remaining RCS propellant, restart the probe and kick it the rest of the way out on the next pass.

I made it home safe with 0.4 units of fuel remaining.

Best,

-Slashy

I sent Jeb and Bob out to intercept a class D asteroid, do some experiments, collect samples - you know, that sort of fun. Missed the asteroid by a long shot, tried to intercept and ended in a highly eliptical orbit around Kerbin (I'm talking Ap far beyond Mun) and not nearly enough delta-V to get to LKO and back home. So Jeb thought of a brilliant idea of dropping the Pe and use aerobraking to slow down. Then, at a reasonable speed, we drop into the atmosphere, deploy the chutes...WAIT, WHERE ARE THE CHUTES?

Used the last little bit of RCS to raise Pe to 70k, get the into a stable orbit and launch the Quick response team spaceplane to intercept and fetch them back to Kerbin. Against all odds, Jeb lives to see another day.

Tourist Mission: Forgot tourists

Unmanned One-way Outpost Mission: Jeb automatically assigned to the passenger compartment

Entering Kerbin SOI from Jool: Stage with the airbrakes were left on Vall

First ever Rover mission: Wheels stuck out a little too far from the rocket body, one doesn't survive Eve aerobraking. Only put one little solar panel on, which spends the whole day in the shadow of the battery unless I drive backwards, which is the direction that risks tipping over because tricycle rover.

First ever Rover mission:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.