White Lightning mk11 - HKO SSTO

I am proud to present the return of one of my favourite craft to date now capable of everything it was intended to be capable of.

White Lightning mk11

HERxYK3.jpg

M8Wyupy.jpg

c5NofSR.jpgAAibo0G.jpg

Description:

White lightning is a crew rescue SSTO capable of 2.5 million+km circular orbits around Kerbin while being extremely easy to fly, This plane is completely un-stallable in low altitude flight and has more than enough stability/control in the upper atmosphere to maneuver at over 900m/s reliably.

Action groups:

1: Toggle turbo jets

2: Toggle Rapiers

3: Toggle Rapier engine mode

4: Toggle Nuke engines

5: Toggle solar arrays

Flight instructions:

On launch pitch up to +70 degrees until 5km, at 5km start to bring the pitch down to +10 degree until you reach 10-12km altitude and 900+m/s, once at 900+m/s bring the pitch back up to between 25-35 degree and continue on this pitch until orbit.

Once at 22 kilometers hit action group 3 to toggle the Rapier engine mode (do not engage nerv engines yet.)

At 26km you may as well turn the turbo jets off this is when they stop working, once in space you will run out of oxidizer and will need to activate the nerv engines to circularise your orbit, Good luck and have fun :)

Download link:

http://www./download/fo071xjxobsa3kq/White+Lightning+mk11.craft

XF8ys5h.jpg

25 degree pitch to orbit is optimal

s6o3wnJ.jpg

NOOwD5k.jpg

Out of Oxidizer here

MgJjC5g.jpg

96x96km orbit

9qf1aGg.jpg

2.5 million km x 2.5 million km orbit (If you look closely you can see one of my other famous SSTO's left in the dust at a 500km orbit)

U7LC1DG.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Well im hoping im not dreaming when i say its working this thing has been doing my head in for long time now :P

I've seen your construction techniques, and I have to say... it's quite effective. How many cronus titan engines are there?

None, i took the aero spikes out of the cronus engines and added the 2 nukes, still managed to keep it so it never dips below positive thrust on its way to orbit, the twr is just right so that you dont need the aero spikes at 20km, the biggest bonus is you do not need to use the nukes until you are in space so they are always running efficiently, oh and the nukes can burn for 16 minutes without over heating (they would burn longer but thats when you run out of fuel)

None, i took the aero spikes out of the cronus engines and added the 2 nukes, still managed to keep it so it never dips below positive thrust on its way to orbit, the twr is just right so that you dont need the aero spikes at 20km, the biggest bonus is you do not need to use the nukes until you are in space so they are always running efficiently

Wait, how many engines does it have all in all?

I figured out the Turbo-RAPIER awhile back, but I never thought of putting two turbos on there.

But from a Kerbal perspective, it makes absolute sense

It really does :P I can not imagine a kerbal ever saying "thats not enough engines" when building anything to be honest haha

Nice job there, man. Glad you decided not to totally abandon the chances for good SSTOs for 1.0. Let's just hope for the best that 1.0.3. doesn't do it much harm. :)

Tbh i still prefer 0.90 and white lightning mk5, its under 200 parts and goes to the mun then minmus then comes back to kerbin.

Could simply make more complex craft with far less parts in the older versions

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.