[1.7.3] Science - Full reward!

maculator

1 minute ago, alex88 said:

No I've added 1.4 to the compatible versions of CKAN, anyway, it's my fault, I've run a science experience, got part of the value, then I've installed the mod, at that point I was still getting partial science.

I've then tried on a new savegame and everything is working, sorry

Glad it's working. Good on ya for figuring it out yourself.

17 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

For your next reinstallation, I'm going to rerelease this mod to just work with newer KSP versions without any CKAN trickery.

Thank you! While you're at it, double check compatibility with breaking ground if you get a chance. I'm not sure it's related but after adding this mod and playing a contract to gather 50% of Goo ground experiments the value jumped to 700% and I had to complete the contract with the cheat menu. Might be a breaking ground bug too tho

1 minute ago, alex88 said:

Thank you! While you're at it, double check compatibility with breaking ground if you get a chance. I'm not sure it's related but after adding this mod and playing a contract to gather 50% of Goo ground experiments the value jumped to 700% and I had to complete the contract with the cheat menu. Might be a breaking ground bug too tho

Weird, haha. I think I just accepted a similar contract on my own save, so I'll give it a go and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

Weird, haha. I think I just accepted a similar contract on my own save, so I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Yeah, at first I deployed it, then I got a lot of messages while time warping that the science couldn't be transmitted (there wasn't an antenna near the Mun), I've then added the relay antenna on orbit and after a while that value jumped to 700 :)

Guys... this mod is the simplest of MM patches you can imagine.. It does have a slight problem with Breaking Ground (giving all the science is a bit.. much for that) and I'll check that out. Tekaoh's release isn't yet updated for Breaking Ground though. It'll work fine in 1.7.1 with Making History, but hold off on using Breaking Ground with it.

Edit: The problem this has with Breaking Ground is that the new ones are aimed at trickling science over time and this mod by default will give you the whole deal in one go, which is a bit over the top much. Any other problems are more likely to be bugs in the game itself.

Edited by Jognt

@maculator Heya. Seems we can't get away with a patch as simple as this one was anymore have to expand the patch slightly.

The Breaking Ground DLC added 4 experiments that have a trickle effect to them, the baseValue for them is used to determine the amount of science they generate per hour, so they have values of 0.2 to 1 for baseValue and a scienceCap of 80 to 100.

This version works without messing up the over-time science from the deployed science parts:

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[~id[deployed*]]{
	@baseValue = #$scienceCap$
}
8 hours ago, alex88 said:

The existing version indeed causes some problems with the deployable ground experiments. If you feel comfortable with a text editor, open up the mod's .cfg file and replace what's in it with what I posted above. (it should look mostly similar, just an added bit behind the DEFINITION part)

Edited by Jognt

3 hours ago, Jognt said:

@maculator Heya. Seems we can't get away with a patch as simple as this one was anymore have to expand the patch slightly.

The Breaking Ground DLC added 4 experiments that have a trickle effect to them, the baseValue for them is used to determine the amount of science they generate per hour, so they have values of 0.2 to 1 for baseValue and a scienceCap of 80 to 100.

This version works without messing up the over-time science from the deployed science parts:

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[~id[deployed*]]{
	@baseValue = #$scienceCap$
}

The existing version indeed causes some problems with the deployable ground experiments. If you feel comfortable with a text editor, open up the mod's .cfg file and replace what's in it with what I posted above. (it should look mostly similar, just an added bit behind the DEFINITION part)

Oh interesting, I was actually looking around to see where those configurations are defined just to understand better the available parameters and variables but I didn't spend too much time on it. I'll give it a try tho! Where did you find this information? Like the fact that the breaking ground experiments has "deployed" in its ids?

7 minutes ago, alex88 said:

Oh interesting, I was actually looking around to see where those configurations are defined just to understand better the available parameters and variables but I didn't spend too much time on it. I'll give it a try tho! Where did you find this information? Like the fact that the breaking ground experiments has "deployed" in its ids?

Well, this mod works by adjusting every EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION node, so I opened up the ScienceDefs.cfg file for the expansion to see what it looks like. I noticed that there were a few experiments with VERY large differences between baseValue and scienceCap that had an accompanying comment saying that the baseValue was used to calculate the per-hour science return.

Then it was just double checking to see what experiments had this huge difference due to the per-hour thing. When I was sure that the only experiments that would need to be left out were the deployed* ones (the other ones actually already have 100% return I believe, or close to it) I just needed to adjust the patch so it leaves those alone. Which took me a few iterations and some help from the Module Manager guys to get to the pretty bit in my previous comment.

TL:DR - Like you I looked around. Unlike you, I spent waaaaay too much time on it xD. Now.. 3:30am.. time for bed.

edit: the ScienceDefs.cfg for Breaking Ground is in the SquadExpansion/Serenity/Resources folder if you're curious :)

Edited by Jognt

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

Well, this mod works by adjusting every EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION node, so I opened up the ScienceDefs.cfg file for the expansion to see what it looks like. I noticed that there were a few experiments with VERY large differences between baseValue and scienceCap that had an accompanying comment saying that the baseValue was used to calculate the per-hour science return.

Then it was just double checking to see what experiments had this huge difference due to the per-hour thing. When I was sure that the only experiments that would need to be left out were the deployed* ones (the other ones actually already have 100% return I believe, or close to it) I just needed to adjust the patch so it leaves those alone. Which took me a few iterations and some help from the Module Manager guys to get to the pretty bit in my previous comment.

TL:DR - Like you I looked around. Unlike you, I spent waaaaay too much time on it xD. Now.. 3:30am.. time for bed.

edit: the ScienceDefs.cfg for Breaking Ground is in the SquadExpansion/Serenity/Resources folder if you're curious :)

Oh ok, I didn't even know if there was a reference somewhere or it was just a search within the files (I've never messed with KSP mods nor modulemanager)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time, I'll definitely give it a try next time I play :)

On 6/6/2019 at 4:17 PM, Jognt said:

I was just looking into this tonight in order to try to fix it. But if you already have, I'd certainly welcome a pull request to the fork I created so that we can publish the update as a new version on CKAN.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:32 PM, alex88 said:

Hopefully, you'll be able to simply update the mod in CKAN soon.

Edited by Tekaoh

14 hours ago, Tekaoh said:

As mentioned in the other thread in which you inquired, the intention behind rereleasing it was to be able to maintain it when issues like this arise since the original author hasn't been around for a long while. I was just looking into this tonight in order to try to fix it. But if you already have, I'd certainly welcome a pull request to the fork I created so that we can publish the update as a new version on CKAN.

Hopefully, you'll be able to simply update the mod in CKAN soon.

I've submitted the Pull Request to you. Let me know if it's done right or not. It's only my 2nd ever Pull Request.

If I did the PR correctly, I can do one for your other mod too (Full Transmit) since I have a personal cfg that does the same, except it's compatible with just about every mod/MODULE. For now I'm mostly just hoping I did the PR right since Github mentioned conflicts that could not be fixed in the web editor? o_O

Edited by Jognt
Cleanup

6 hours ago, Jognt said:

For now I'm mostly just hoping I did the PR right since Github mentioned conflicts that could not be fixed in the web editor? o_O

The PR was done correctly. The merge conflicts are no problem. I can resolve them on the command line. Thanks!

Edited by Tekaoh

1 hour ago, MadArkael said:

I guess I figured he just updated what versions of the game the mod was associated with. 

That was exactly my intention

Edited by Tekaoh

8 hours ago, MadArkael said:

Have you tested this? 

Just from looking at it, it would seem to exclude all the normal science experiments.

Yes, I have. It works fine for me. The edit only excludes science modules with an id beginning with "deployed", which is just the four new surface science experiments. Everything else continues to work as it has.

Edit: Why don't we move discussion to the new thread just to keep everything together going forward?

Edited by Tekaoh

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 2:58 AM, maculator said:

I finally updated this little mod and made it compatible with with the Breaking Ground DLC and its surface experiments! Those are excluded now and will function as intended by the vanilla game! Enjoy.

I'm so sorry, I posted a continuation of your mod a few months ago... If you'd like to resume maintaining your mod, would you like me to withdraw my fork from CKAN or anything? It was yours first, after all.

Edited by Tekaoh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.