[1.3.0, 1.2.2] G-Effects: blackouts, redouts, G-LOCs [v0.4.2] (2017 Jun, 25)

Ser

How do you like sounds in the mod?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like sounds in the mod?

• It's nice that the mod has sounds but some of them definitely need to be replaced
    • Too annoying, I disabled them
    • I don't like the mod completely

The work was originally started by russnash37 who gave a permission to take over and extend his project

Supported KSP version: 1.2.2, 1.3.0

License: GNU GPLv3 (included)

Source code: on GitHub

I've tried to make focus on realism as much as I was able to research the subject so the default settings assume that all kerbals including tourists are trained astronauts wearing G-suits.

Pilots are more trained than others, of course.

The following G-effects are simulated:

• Blackouts/redouts
  • Loss of color vision a.k.a "greyout"
  • Tunnel vision as G rises
  • Kerbals grunt while they perform AGSM (anti-G straining maneuver) and take a heavy breath after
  • Blood beating in kerbal's ears on redout (wear headphones with good bass and you'll feel it)
  • G-LOC (G-induced loss of consciousness)
  • Kerbal deaths of a sustained over-G

G forces have different severity in four directions: upward, downward, backward, forward, so you may find that a kerbal launched in a rocket stands more G than a kerbal piloting a plane upside down on a circular trajectory.

Kerbal's specialization also affects how much he can stand.

You can use this mod together with KeepFit by timmers_uk. In this case kerbals' fitness will affect their ability to withstand over G effects (supported by G-Effects v0.2.3+ and KeepFit v0.8.3.3+).

Download from SpaceDock (for KSP 1.3.0)

Download from SpaceDock (for KSP 1.2.2)

If you don't have a joystick it is recommended to use with Analog Control Continued mod for the best aircraft experience

Installation:

Save the old G-Effects.cfg file if you have changed it. Delete previous version of the mod. Place contents of the zip into your KSP/GameData folder.

You'll have to enter the config params you have saved manually into the new version's configuration file because it has several important changes.

Stock integration:

Stock g-meters and notifications correspond to the mod's state. If you don't need them you may disable "Kerbal G limits" in the game's settings, the main mod's behaviour won't be affected.

Kerbal experience and other stock g stats are still ignored.

Configuration:

Configuration of the mod is done via G-Effects.cfg file. Look through it to have an exhaustive description of its parameters.

The major parameters of those you can fine tune are:

A common kerbal's ability to resist G effects

Restrict video and audio effects to IVA mode only

Severity of effects of G forces applied from different directions

How much specialization help a kerbal to resist an over-G

Disable G-deaths

and more

The sounds are still a little WIP so you always have an option to disable them via config file if you find'em too annoying.

Anyway, after trying the mod please respond to the poll in this thread for I knew which way to move further. Would also appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Known issues and limitations:

G-forces caused by a ship's rotation don't affect because they are not likely to be severe enough to induce any significant effects.

Effects are calculated for the active vessel's crew only. You can switch to another vessel and back and have effects applied as if they have just started.

Planned features:

Spoiler

Simulate loss of orientation after G-LOC

Take vessel rotation into account

Edited by Ser
Update 0.4.2 is out

Thank you all for your comments.

Great idea! I have a question, though: aren't the sound frequencies too low? I mean, on official Squad videos and on Chatterer, kerbal voices are a bit higher, aren't they?

You know, most of the time working on this mod I've spent messing with sounds and they are still WIP. There are some troubles with raising pitch and trying to keep quality but anyway I'll listen and compare more. Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by Ser

Nice job! Does it do anything in 3rd person view or it's just for the IVA?

It works both in IVA and 3rd person view but you can restrict visual/audio effects to IVA only via config file, though you'll still lose conscience and control in 3rd person.

P.S. The first of our matters are the planes, the girls go next :wink:

Edited by Ser

Kottabos sent me here :)

Installing now - thanks!

Bloody hell. Now I really have to implement all the things I've promised :)

Just one question, though: Do you lose control when one pilot G-LOC's, or does it take all of them?

You lose control when a commander G-LOC's. The commander is considered to be a kerbal that most likely is controlling the vessel: if you have a pilot, it is him. If you have several pilots then the first available pilot will be the commander. If you have none then it is a "random" crew member. If a commander who is the most capable crew member has a G-LOC then you can be sure that all the rest of the crew have it as well.

Edited by Ser

• G-LOC (G-induced loss of conscience)

My goodness. Kerbal lose their morality when exposed to high G? No wonder why they are so obsessive of sending their own kind away on explosive death traps to the void of space.

On other notes, cool mod! Would adding a probe core helps avoiding blackout or such?

Edited by RainDreamer

On other notes, cool mod! Would adding a probe core helps avoiding blackout or such?

You'll still have G effects until you pass control to the probe (I mean "Control from here"). Then you'll see the world through the "eyes" of the probe that doesn't have any "morality" at all so it cannot have blackouts.

Wait a second... Need to check that.

EDIT: Yes, that's right. When you control a manned vessel via a probe core you don't have any effects but you'll have them once you switch to the cockpit.

EDIT2: Works wrong in some cases. So expect it to be corrected in next versions.

Edited by Ser

So the new version 0.1.1 is out.

Changes:

fixed bugs when switching control between manned pod and probe core on the same vessel

tunnel effect made a little more noticeable

heart beat sound is more audible now

reduced the amount of breathing

improved the "reference kerbal" search algorithm

removed an unnecessary sound file

So the effects should be a little bit more pleasant and realistic now.

P.S.If you torment your kerbals by flying a vessel full of them that is controlled with a probe core, be careful with the "C" key: once you enter IVA the game passes control to the manned pod with unconcious kerbals and you cannot switch back until they wake up.

Nice mod, been looking for something like this.

My goodness. Kerbal lose their morality when exposed to high G?

EDIT: Yes, that's right. When you control a manned vessel via a probe core you don't have any effects but you'll have them once you switch to the cockpit.

EDIT2: Works wrong in some cases. So expect it to be corrected in next versions.

*Woosh* :)

Quick question, how does this work in conjunction to probe cores? I can imagine with no crew oboard you already accounted for it... but what about crew AND probe? (like most early carreer rockets with a probe for steering and a scientist for experiments)

Quick question, how does this work in conjunction to probe cores? I can imagine with no crew oboard you already accounted for it... but what about crew AND probe? (like most early carreer rockets with a probe for steering and a scientist for experiments)

Depends on which part is in control. When you are "in" a probe you don't have any G effects but your scientist still suffers from over G inside your vessel (in the next version you'll be able even to kill him that way). If you switch to a pod with him (the quick way is just to press "C") you may find him in the middle of a blackout or unconscious. But the sole fact that the probe is attached to a manned vessel does nothing: if you control it via a manned pod and the crew becomes unconscious then you'll lose control. Though there's still a few tricks to pass control to the probe in that case: if you use IVAonly option you can go to the 3rd person view and try to use "Control from here" on the probe, or you may do it by a hotkey if an appropriate mod is installed that allows you to do so. It's up to you to decide whether the trick is fair/realistic.

Edited by Ser