[1.3.0, 1.2.2] G-Effects: blackouts, redouts, G-LOCs [v0.4.2] (2017 Jun, 25)

Ser

How do you like sounds in the mod?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like sounds in the mod?

• It's nice that the mod has sounds but some of them definitely need to be replaced
    • Too annoying, I disabled them
    • I don't like the mod completely

Does this mod have any other requirements like FAR etc? I installed it and it isn't working for me.

No, it doesn't require any other mods. Please check that you have this exact folder structure:

[KSP_Folder]\Gamedata\G-Effects\Plugins

[KSP_Folder]\Gamedata\G-Effects\Sounds

And the file blackout.png is in the folder [KSP_Folder]\Gamedata\G-Effects\

Post a link to your KSP_Data\output_log.txt and KSP.log files.

EDIT: Are you sure the root part of your vessel isn't a probe core?

Edited by Ser

Hi, first congratulation for this mod, it's really beautiful.

I had an issue with it. Undocking a 3man Pod from a station, I had the crew inside the capsule Uncoscious for a while. Is it a known issue? Or am I the first to have this?

Hi, first congratulation for this mod, it's really beautiful.

I had an issue with it. Undocking a 3man Pod from a station, I had the crew inside the capsule Uncoscious for a while. Is it a known issue? Or am I the first to have this?

Congratulations, you are the first :) I'll take a look at this.

Does that happen every time you undock or randomly?

Just got a new idea. What if the g's drain a new resource. Ah let me start over.

You lose control of a craft if the probe runs out of electricity. You dont have this problem with manned flights. What if the g forces could drain a new type of resource, that if drained would make you lose control of the craft until the resource came back.

For example pulling too high g's will lead to the resource rapidly draining. When drained. You cant control the craft. The resource - lets call it consoucness for now - replenishes passively.

If I understood you right it is implemented just in the way you've described. In the source code it is called "cumulativeG". It "accumulates" the harm of g forces applied to a kerbal. When it is high enough, the black/red out starts, if rises further then the kerbal loses consciousness and control. When the g forces go down it "replenishes" at some rate. It is different from a resource just in the fact that it's amount is not displayed anywhere.

Or may be you have an issue of not losing control on G-LOC?

Edited by Ser

Ok, I made some tests, and it seems that the issue isn't related to this mod, but another collision issue of KSP.

When you undock to ships, it seems that sometimes, randomly, those two collides at high speed, maybe cause KSP see those as a single part. On the ground, one part will explode (docking port), in space they just separe themselves, but with a high G-load, that cause the Unconscious state.

I suspect that Squad needs to focus on collision issues before anything else.

Nansuchao, thanks for reporting that. I'll try to find a workaround because currently I'm implementing g deaths and it would be nice for a crew to survive that glitch. But until it's fixed we'll call it a sudden depressurization :)

Edited by Ser

Of course. If you look into G-Effects.cfg you'll see that I usually try to make as much parameters as possible to be configurable. May be it will be turned off by default for several updates until I'm sure that the majority of hazards have a work around.

Edited by Ser

Of course. But real astronauts haven't to worry about to be kicked out of the solar system touching a part of their ship, or die descending a ladder or coming out from a hatch for no reason... For realism I use TAC LF, KIS/KAS (and the EVA controls doesn't help), but for the love of the Kraken, I don't want to be worried of my own ship ;-)

or die descending a ladder or coming out from a hatch for no reason...

Alexey Leonov, the first man who was on EVA in space, had big, nearly fatal troubles trying to return back to his ship. Such things aren't simulated in KSP but others are :) Just kidding. Of course glitches cannot be welcome because you have nothing to do with them. But I think most of the collision-related stuff could be addressed to Unity engine. Squad moves KSP to Unity 5, so hope most of the issues will be solved, though there's no doubt we'll get the others.

Edited by Ser

Yes, no doubt at all, sadly.

Little OP. I just had a Munar Mission almost lost cause the gimbals of the three engines were fighting against the SAS. I had to disable the gimbals, but it's so sad to fight against glitch this way.

I think I'll enjoy more hard realism like Kaboom and Entropy, but until the game works in this way...

ah far as realism goes, another mod called keepfit basicly simulates fitness in space, and the g forces that can be handled (both short term and long time durattion) before kerbal dies, basicly its simulating brittle bones - your mod does the classic G effects for vision etc that are more commonly known, would said effects ever be different when considering time spent in space such as keepfit does?

heart would do less work in 0G, and get weaker, so i would think threshhold would lower

point being, perhaps interface with keepfit, if available, and follow its numbers for influence?:)

could be a 2nd dll, only enabling keepfit effects if its installed

I know the Keepfit mod and have thought about its integration. My mod doesn't take any long term effects into account, I'd say its scope is simulation of short term effects. The major things I like about Keepfit are the idea of kerbal g-training, fitness degradation in zero-g environment and the body "tiredness" of a long lasting over-G struggle that should reduce the ability to resist further. So you're right, it might be interesting if G-Effects worked in conjunction with Keepfit.

Had some time trying Keepfit before posting the answer. Need to study it better and to have a conversation with its author timmers_uk.

Edited by Ser

Major changes are:

• Implemented kerbal deaths of a sustained over-g
  • Losing conciousness and approaching a critical state are indicated in probe core and IVA-only modes when in 3rd person view
  • SAS is disabled on G-LOC if the vessel doesn't have a probe core (as SAS functionality in KSP highly depends on kerbal piloting a vessel)
  • Controls get locked on G-LOC not only for keyboard but for all input methods now.

Please be careful with various ejection or undocking force tweaks as they were reported to cause some terminal acceleratons on crew. If you experience such sudden crew loses there's an option to disable G deaths in the config file.

Edited by Ser

Just wanted to chip in here about the sounds - was going to vote in the poll but my option wasn't there. In my (bizarre) opinion, kerbals have never made sounds in-game so I feel really creeped out when I hear them grunting or panting. So really, as long as the option to turn off the sounds remains possible, then I'm satisfied! :sticktongue:

However, if you manage to get them to crack out grunts and wails like they do in the release cinematics...

Just wanted to chip in here about the sounds - was going to vote in the poll but my option wasn't there. In my (bizarre) opinion, kerbals have never made sounds in-game so I feel really creeped out when I hear them grunting or panting. So really, as long as the option to turn off the sounds remains possible, then I'm satisfied! :sticktongue:

However, if you manage to get them to crack out grunts and wails like they do in the release cinematics...

For me personally there's no KSP without Chatterer and ColisionFX for a long time, so kerbals making sounds have become something natural for me. I know that my sounds are a little crappy and inconsistent with those people got used to but I'll work to make them better so, I hope, they'll feel more natural for everyone after some time.

Edited by Ser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.