[1.3.0, 1.2.2] G-Effects: blackouts, redouts, G-LOCs [v0.4.2] (2017 Jun, 25)

Ser

How do you like sounds in the mod?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like sounds in the mod?

• It's nice that the mod has sounds but some of them definitely need to be replaced
    • Too annoying, I disabled them
    • I don't like the mod completely

@Ser: tested with the same settings as before, and now everything seems to be working perfectly. Sure I have no more control locked when it shouldn't. Didn't check FPS before, but now it seems ok to me.

Many thanks for your fast response and effective fix :).

• 2 weeks later...

So something I noticed was that when near a planet and hitting high warps, I guess I had enough "centrifugal force" that the redout effects started materializing. Even had the whole screen go at one point I think. Jeb survived, but I didn't think this was supposed to happen. I see this hasn't been brought up in the thread yet, so I'm thinking it could potentially be a compatibility problem with some other mod I have? Particularly ones like persistent rotation/thrust that allow forces during warp. Does this seem like it would cause an issue?

2 hours ago, smokytehbear said:

So something I noticed was that when near a planet and hitting high warps, I guess I had enough "centrifugal force" that the redout effects started materializing. Even had the whole screen go at one point I think. Jeb survived, but I didn't think this was supposed to happen. I see this hasn't been brought up in the thread yet, so I'm thinking it could potentially be a compatibility problem with some other mod I have? Particularly ones like persistent rotation/thrust that allow forces during warp. Does this seem like it would cause an issue?

Yes, I think there's a chance that it might be caused by persistent rotation or thrust. Or it is another weird time paradox :) The interesting thing is also that the warp was high but Jeb survived. Can you reproduce it with debug enabled via cfg file and post KSP.log here?

26 minutes ago, Ser said:

Yes, I think there's a chance that it might be caused by persistent rotation or thrust. Or it is another weird time paradox :) The interesting thing is also that the warp was high but Jeb survived. Can you reproduce it with debug enabled via cfg file and post KSP.log here?

Would love to, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I know where the KSP.log file is but I'm not sure what steps I'd need to enable debug via cfg file. If you could point me how to do that I'll get right on it.

I think I noticed the effects fast enough to cancel warp just in time. Definitely scared the bejeebers out of me though. Was careful never to go to the map view while warping after that lol

18 minutes ago, smokytehbear said:

Would love to, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I know where the KSP.log file is but I'm not sure what steps I'd need to enable debug via cfg file. If you could point me how to do that I'll get right on it.

I think I noticed the effects fast enough to cancel warp just in time. Definitely scared the bejeebers out of me though. Was careful never to go to the map view while warping after that lol

What warp were you at that moment and what G meter was showing?

To enable debug logging you should go to the file \GameData\G-Effects\G-Effects.cfg and edit the last setting to be enableLogging = true. Restart KSP and then reproduce the bug and post KSP.log. Don't forget to set logging back to false and restart KSP after that because a lot of log spam will be done.

Here is a link to the image gallery, credit to the amazing Automated Screenshots mod. I took hundreds over the short time I was running the test, but this selection I think shows the general idea of what's happening visually. 

http://imgur.com/a/V5J8L

As for the log, I've sent you a link in a message.

Edited by smokytehbear

13 hours ago, smokytehbear said:

Here is a link to the image gallery, credit to the amazing Automated Screenshots mod. I took hundreds over the short time I was running the test, but this selection I think shows the general idea of what's happening visually. 

http://imgur.com/a/V5J8L

As for the log, I've sent you a link in a message.

I've viewed the logs but haven't found anything that could lead to redout. Think I'll have to reproduce that myself.

Also your log is flooded with Module Jettison threw during OnUpdate: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'PartResourceList.GetEnumerator'.
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate ()

That's not related but may be you should report that to the author of Jettison mod as it's not good for performance when something writes to log on every update.

2 hours ago, Ser said:

I've viewed the logs but haven't found anything that could lead to redout. Think I'll have to reproduce that myself.

Also your log is flooded with Module Jettison threw during OnUpdate: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'PartResourceList.GetEnumerator'.
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate ()

That's not related but may be you should report that to the author of Jettison mod as it's not good for performance when something writes to log on every update.

Will do, I'm actually trying to track down a particularly insidious performance issue that I can't seem to tie to anything salient while actually playing, like a specific part or engine effect for instance. This seems a good place to start. Thank you.

Got a massive performance drop from this mod. from 60 down to 18 on a rather capable GTX 1080, i7 4790K, 16GB. Found it via process of elimination. Sorry, I got no logs, but maybe a conflict with mods that use shaders i.e. EVE? (scatterer not installed)

58 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Got a massive performance drop from this mod. from 60 down to 18 on a rather capable GTX 1080, i7 4790K, 16GB. Found it via process of elimination. Sorry, I got no logs, but maybe a conflict with mods that use shaders i.e. EVE? (scatterer not installed)

It shouldn't affect performance at all. Is it the latest 0.4.1 version of the mod you are using?

Edited by Ser

1 hour ago, Ser said:

It shouldn't affect performance at all. Is it the latest 0.4.1 version of the mod you are using?

Yes, 0.4.1. Strange.. I will re-install and try again when I get home from work, this time with logs enabled.

57 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Yes, 0.4.1. Strange.. I will re-install and try again when I get home from work, this time with logs enabled.

It would be nice if you uploaded them or at least checked for some error spam. Also I recommend you to try clean KSP with G-Effects only to fimd out whether it is caused by the mod itself or by some incompatibility.

• 2 weeks later...

People, I want to let you know that as I have several reports to the moment, I'm aware of the trouble with G-Effects causing FPS slowdowns when installed together with some mods. I won't be able to fully devote myself to this problem in about a week but would appreciate if you share some additional info you might have on this problem. That would help me to reproduce and nail it down.

• 1 month later...
On 8.2.2017 at 1:41 PM, smokytehbear said:

I get the same issue here. When timewrapping the screen flashes red - as soon as the wrap stops all goes back to normal.

Edit: I uninstalled persitent thrust an the effect is gone :wink:

Edited by itsaps
details, and typo ;)

On 16.04.2017 at 5:40 AM, itsaps said:

I get the same issue here. When timewraping the screen flashes red - as soon as the wrap stops all goes back to normal.

Edit: I uninstalled persitant thrust an the effect is gone :wink:

Thanks for the report. It's much easier to narrow the issue when the conflicting mod has been found.

23 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

Could this be modified to provide a blackout when a probe has no signal? I dislike I can see what happens when I have no signal.

I'll think about that but that's actually out of this mod's scope, though some noise might be implemented when unmanned vessel goes under extreme G. I suggest you to post your request in Addon discussions (and requests) also.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! This mod looks like tons of fun, but:

I'm having performance issues too. FPS slowdowns. From 60~40fps to 28~21fps. Only when G-Effects is installed. Playing on a 6 years old pc, Windows 7 x64. These are my logs: KSP.log and output_log. I'm a newbie in bug reporting so I'm not sure which logs do you need, @Ser.

Here's my mod list. 31 mods installed. G-Effects latest version 0.4.1, installed via CKAN. I JUST NOTICED, you are the guy continuing the Audio Muffler Redux mod, and I had a similar problem with that mod too (b4 I unistalled it), is the code somehow related? soundwise? I might report it on the other thread later.

I also tried the G-Effects mod on a fresh KSP install. No other mods installed. There is still a clear framedrop, from 110fps to 85ish frames per second.

1 hour ago, pocolaton said:

Hi! This mod looks like tons of fun, but:

I'm having performance issues too. FPS slowdowns. From 60~40fps to 28~21fps. Only when G-Effects is installed. Playing on a 6 years old pc, Windows 7 x64. These are my logs: KSP.log and output_log. I'm a newbie in bug reporting so I'm not sure which logs do you need, @Ser.

Here's my mod list. 31 mods installed. G-Effects latest version 0.4.1, installed via CKAN. I JUST NOTICED, you are the guy continuing the Audio Muffler Redux mod, and I had a similar problem with that mod too (b4 I unistalled it), is the code somehow related? soundwise? I might report it on the other thread later.

I also tried the G-Effects mod on a fresh KSP install. No other mods installed. There is still a clear framedrop, from 110fps to 85ish frames per second.

I can see this spammed in your log:

[ERR 06:29:52.003] Module FSplanePropellerSpinner threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Firespitter.engine.FSplanePropellerSpinner.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This is related to Firespitter mod and can cause FPS drops by being thrown every update.

Could you post your logs when G-Effects is installed on clean KSP? And do you experience those slowdowns all the time or in certain cases only?

As for Audio Muffler Redux, it is known to still get some FPS away (2-4) but shouldn't be that much. There's not much common between these two mods.

On 2017-5-23 at 11:27 AM, Ser said:

I can see this spammed in your log:

[ERR 06:29:52.003] Module FSplanePropellerSpinner threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Firespitter.engine.FSplanePropellerSpinner.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This is related to Firespitter mod and can cause FPS drops by being thrown every update.

Could you post your logs when G-Effects is installed on clean KSP? And do you experience those slowdowns all the time or in certain cases only?

As for Audio Muffler Redux, it is known to still get some FPS away (2-4) but shouldn't be that much. There's not much common between these two mods.

I did another test on my clean KSP install (1.2.2 still, mod version 0.4.1). With and without G-Effects installed. The game drops 20fps all the time when G-Effects is active. I noticed framerate goes back to normal in the map view. Here is a comparison album.

And here are the logs: 1modKSP.log and 1modoutput_log.txt

My machine is no beast so... it might be just that. When I play with my previous modlist I lock my fps and get ~60fps. Not very stable, it drops to 50-40 on reentry, aero effects, etc... at worst: looking at ksc + 1000m/s speed + 4km high + 31 mods installed I get 28-27 fps. After that I install G-Effects or Audio Muffler Redux and I get a 20fps drop for every instance. I just remembered I have no ATI control panel. I play on an 2011 imac using windows 7 bootcamp. It has bootcamp/apple drivers installed, it includes an old AMD Catalyst version which I can't update from. Yep, the usual apple bs.

I have no idea about programming/modding. It might be a drivers issue.

On 26.05.2017 at 11:52 PM, pocolaton said:

I did another test on my clean KSP install (1.2.2 still, mod version 0.4.1). With and without G-Effects installed. The game drops 20fps all the time when G-Effects is active. I noticed framerate goes back to normal in the map view. Here is a comparison album.

And here are the logs: 1modKSP.log and 1modoutput_log.txt

My machine is no beast so... it might be just that. When I play with my previous modlist I lock my fps and get ~60fps. Not very stable, it drops to 50-40 on reentry, aero effects, etc... at worst: looking at ksc + 1000m/s speed + 4km high + 31 mods installed I get 28-27 fps. After that I install G-Effects or Audio Muffler Redux and I get a 20fps drop for every instance. I just remembered I have no ATI control panel. I play on an 2011 imac using windows 7 bootcamp. It has bootcamp/apple drivers installed, it includes an old AMD Catalyst version which I can't update from. Yep, the usual apple bs.

I have no idea about programming/modding. It might be a drivers issue.

Some people have also reported FPS drops with G-Effects but I couldn't reproduce that. My PC isn't a beast too so I struggle for every single FPS as I like to play with SVE/scatterer installed and some mods had to go sadly. But I always keep G-Effects as it doesn't show any FPS impact to me. Though I have NVidia GTX550Ti. But when we speak of KSP, we should also consider CPU usage.

I suspect some possible bottlenecks in the mod's code like preparing overlays in graphic cycle or reflection used for KeepFit cooperation. Also, if G-Effects and Audio Muffer Redux reduce your FPS at approximately same amount it might be caused by the only common part of them - the Unity's low pass audio filters. The only way I see to find something out is to compile several builds with those features disabled for you to try so I could understand what needs optimization.

Edited by Ser

@pocolaton, so, if you feel like you could help a little, here's dll's to try:

Without low pass filters: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4i708kdm8fgagvj/G-Effects-No-aFilters.zip?dl=1

Without reflection API: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyuyp0t761wnc08/G-Effects-No-Api.zip?dl=1

Without red/black-out effects: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bg7pk735ktricms/G-Effects-No-Visuals.zip?dl=1

You need to download the zips and extract to G-Effects/Plugins folder replacing the original G-Effects.dll file. Try them one by one and post here which one solves FPS drops, if any.

Edited by Ser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.