WIP: BioMass mod needs testers (greenhouses, gas compressors, biofuel production)

seanth

Hello,

i am playing KSP since mid December and i did not know how much fun it is to build and maneuver spaceships. I want to use biomass because it seems to be a wonderful mod together with TAC. But i an into some problems and i hope you can help me.

The first version of biomass was the 50mb version from Kerbalstuff. Today I noticed another version on github which is ~320mb? Which one is the right File? So i deleted the biomass folder in the gamedata folder and copied the 320mb file into the gamedata folder. The program could not load my Spacesstation because there were problems with the testfueltank but i just copied tht the testfueltank folder from the 50mb file into the parts folder of the 320mb file. I noticed that the greenhouse food is now named experimental mk2 and is way more smaller.

The second Problem ist how to gain seeds.  I click on Reproduction but i have no gain. Then i noticed in the description of the parts that seeds will reprodruce at a 0.09  (0.57) rate a day but the consumption is much higher. So sooner or later i am running out of seeds. And i think without seeds everything will die. What is my mistake?

The difficulty is masochist and i cannot change it because when i press alt KSP freezes.

wAC76T.jpg

I hope you can help me and thanks for that in advance.

Bye Ulf

13 hours ago, Dyna Soar said:

The first version of biomass was the 50mb version from Kerbalstuff. Today I noticed another version on github which is ~320mb? Which one is the right File? So i deleted the biomass folder in the gamedata folder and copied the 320mb file into the gamedata folder. The program could not load my Spacesstation because there were problems with the testfueltank but i just copied tht the testfueltank folder from the 50mb file into the parts folder of the 320mb file. I noticed that the greenhouse food is now named experimental mk2 and is way more smaller.

The second Problem ist how to gain seeds.  I click on Reproduction but i have no gain. Then i noticed in the description of the parts that seeds will reprodruce at a 0.09  (0.57) rate a day but the consumption is much higher. So sooner or later i am running out of seeds. And i think without seeds everything will die. What is my mistake?

Short version: Use the version on github. I uploaded a new test version that should address some of the problems previously reported (too many buttons for each part). I have not fully looked at everything yet, so be aware it's experimental.

You should never use the testfueltank. It's there just for testing. I will make sure it is hidden on non-tester version that I will upload later today.

I will post a very quick tutorial on how to grow plants after I double check the zip that's on github right now. The quick version is:

1. Seeds can be gotten in the Seed Bank part found in Utilities
  2. Seeds become BioMass(i.e. the plants, called Kamboo ) in greenhouses when you allow germination (think of it like you are turning on infra-red lights to promote germination)
  3. Kamboo will only start producing seeds when there is IR light present. I'm fairly certain one of the greenhouse descriptions specifically says IR light is needed to allow the Kamboo to produce seeds. (See the above link)
  4. If you are trying to produce seeds and allow germination at the same time, you will get few or no seeds since the plants make seeds which then germinate as quickly as they can.

There are details that that does not cover, but I will address all that in a post soon(tm)

Edited by seanth

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

thank you for your answer. I made a further test but it was not very succesful. When i turn everything on Biomass is produced within 3 days. I think this is ok. Buit i am still running out of seeds in a minute. So i start reproduction and it takes me one day day to produce seeds. Again turning everything on and the biomass production time reduces from 173 days to more practiable 3 days. But after a minute i have no seeds and the time needed to produce biomass increases to 173 days and the cycle starts again.

I can't change the difficulty level. it's stuck at masochist. Can i change it to classic ( maybe it's easier then?) in a file? By the way i didn't find the seedbank? Can you provide a foto of it?

Thank you

Bye 

Ulf

On 1/24/2016 at 1:23 AM, Dyna Soar said:

\When i turn everything on Biomass is produced within 3 days. I think this is ok.

Could you clarify what you mean? Do you mean the greenhouse is completely full of biomass in 3days, or that you see any biomass in 3days.

Remember to download the latest version from github. It has far fewer options to turn on/off and should make it easier to use.

Remember that expecting to get food very quickly is pretty unrealistic. Imagine you have an old VW from the 1970s. That's all the space you have to grow food. It takes about 90 days from planting seeds to harvest in the real world. The math in the book "The Martian" was pretty spot on. Growing food in space is _hard_.

I will try and post an image showing the seed bank location later today.

I do _not_ recommend playing classic. It is not maintained at all. Use "Easy" if you must.

On Medium and Hard difficulty, the Seed Bank part is found in "Utility". It looks like one of the snack containers, but has a plant icon on the outside.

Screenshot%2525202016-01-25%25252008.23.

To manually edit difficulty level:

1. Go to GameData/BioMass/Plugin/BioMassDifficulty/
  2. Rename BioMassDifficulty_MM.cfg to BioMassDifficulty_MM.old
  3. Duplicate Easy.txt 
  4. Rename the duplicated "easy" file to "BioMassDifficulty_MM.cfg"
  5. Delete BioMassDifficulty_MM.old
  6. Open BioMass.cfg in a text editor
  7. Change DifficultySettings = Hard to DifficultySettings = Easy
Edited by seanth

• 1 month later...

Ok installing this latest build...will do some more testing.   This is still one of my most anticipated mods in KSP.   And as another request similar to KSP-AVC is CKAN.  I thank you for adding AVC support, but i have now found and use CKAN...  could you look at supporting both of these great tools?

Another idea...

Make a Contract Configurator series of contracts that will guide the player in every expanding missions to be a tutorial on how all the parts work and how they fit together.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.