KER vs MechJeb?

Wow, and point made one post after mine.

Yes. My post was one after yours.

Why do you point that out? What relevance does that have? Is my statement that I prefer KER over MJ is somehow less valid because it was posted after your post, instead of before it? Also, your post seems to focus on the realism aspect, which I never mention.

I assure you, your post was not there when started to draft my post, hence my post is in no way a response to yours.

I also clearly stated I found MJ cheaty FOR MY PLAYSTYLE. You seem to be equating my preference for my PERSONAL playstyle to judgment of OTHERS playstyle, even though I included a clause to avoid such an interpretation.

If you're offended by my post, or think my post was in some way designed to address you specifically, then you are mistaken. If you are somehow offended by the content of my post, then you seem to be looking for a reason to take offense from a post where there was clearly none intended.

I'm frankly confused how you think my post has anything to do with yours.

The beauty is that you don't have to use any of the automation features on MJ if you don't want.

If I have one package that provides what I want and need with no extraneous material, why would I forgo that and use another package that provides what I want and has tons of extraneous material?

The beauty of KER is that I want simple readouts, and only simple readouts, and then KER gives me simple readouts and only simple readouts.

There's also VOID.

VOID runs on KER, and I used it for the longest time until KER started to provide HUD displays. I also had issues with VOID resetting window locations and font sizes. Never sure if it ever got fixed, but I found I prefer KER.

I also clearly stated I found MJ cheaty FOR MY PLAYSTYLE.

Which is exactly the relevance. If you followed my post, it was a reply to the "realism" argument, which is often a defense for the "this feels cheaty" argument. Using words like cheat, cheating, cheaty connotes that something is "bad", hence the desire to defend against this. You simply could have said MJ does not fit your playstyle and leave it at that.

Can we not turn this into another "Mechjeb is/isn't cheating" thread? It's old, tired, and done to death.

Wasn't the intention. But to be honest the best way is for people (including you btw) to simply not use the words cheat or cheating or cheaty at all, which leaves it out of the argument altogether.

I won't install Mechjeb because I personally enjoy doing manually what it automates. With KER I have no such compunctions, as manually engineering a rocket is a little tedious to me. As for the extra components of KER, I tend only to use the radar altimeter piece - which, as far as I'm concerned, should be stock in the HUD anyway.

In reality, most maneuvers are done by flight computer. Even in 1969 most work was done by the computer. The crew observed and only corrected manually, when the calculations were not adding up with reality.

So it's not unrealistic per se to use MechJeb for those things.

BUT: If you always rely on MJ, you will never learn to properly do manual maneuvers and how to correct efficiently if you messed up, ect.

So if you find no fun in flying yourself and learning how to get your spacecrafts to interstellar targets, then use MJ.

If you enjoy making perfect orbits with your own brain/eyes/hands and efficiently transferring to other planets like a pro or producing precision landings: Use KER

You can observe MechJeb maneuvers to replicate them manually, because they are pretty efficient.

But personally, I try to avoid MechJebs auto pilots. I have more satisfaction by getting better and better with my manual maneuvers.

If I see how Scott Manley is "guesstimating" perfect approaches and such on regular basis, it motivates me to learn doing the same.

Edited by Cairol

An answer devoid of irrelevant personal preferences might already be in here somewhere, but rarely is in these threads..

KER: Useful informational aids on a readily available HUD. Makes all the information you need to successfully execute maneuvers easily available.

MJ: Less information readily displayed, though it can be pulled up in various windows (Delta V info, Orbit info window). Has several abilities as well, including a smarter SAS, using RCS for thrust if your main engine is off/out of fuel, translation helpers, and much more. It can also (almost, you still have to tell it what to do) completely automate your flight.

It just boils down to what you want; Informational helper or Flight Computer assistance.

Edited by Randazzo

Heh, the "real life"/"realistic" argument over and over again. In real life they wouldn't let you past the visitors area of the space centre and even for that you would have to pay. In real life you lack qualifications to run a space program, let alone fly something (RC model planes included). This is a game about managing, building and flying stuff sprinkled with occasional explosions. You don't feel like flying it manually? OK, fine, but don't pull those "real life" excuses.

FYI, in real life I have multiple college degrees and have managed many truly massive, complex, high-dollar projects in the aerospace industry. I can fly both real and RC airplanes and have been doing so for over 30 years. And I now do emergency management. So I think I'm fairly well qualified to state how real life works in this case. You can choose to believe all this or not, I really don't care. But at the very least, learn to keep your over-developed ego under control.

Which is exactly the relevance. If you followed my post, it was a reply to the "realism" argument, which is often a defense for the "this feels cheaty" argument. Using words like cheat, cheating, cheaty connotes that something is "bad", hence the desire to defend against this. You simply could have said MJ does not fit your playstyle and leave it at that.

Other people have opinions.

They will use the words they find most appropriate to express those opinions.

My opinion that I have chosen to express using the words I have chosen to use offers you no offense, nor justification for hostility towards me or others.

There's nothing for you to defend, as neither my opinion, nor it's expression have any impact on your or how you play the game whatsoever.

Deal with it.

Another reason I prefer KER is that I can point at it and state without hesitation or qualification "This mod should be stock with no changes in it's implementation". I absolutely cannot and would not say that about MJ. You're welcome to focus on that part of my opinion and ignore my other posts.

Wow! Cool flames!

Anyway thanks everyone for the KER vs Mechjeb info - there is plenty here. Now I know that I want to stick with Mechjeb, and cheat like a cheating a-hole whenever I see fit!

I love this GAME!!

I disagree an auto pilot that will tear apart you craft should not be part of stock. Infact MJ should be the STOCK easy normal auto pilot and the current autopilot reserved for hard lol.

Personally I use neither KER and MJ take 90% and 97% respectively of the fun out of this game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.