[1.12.x] Docking Sounds!! v2.1.13 (1/30/2023)

tg626

Awesome! KSP really needs more love in the sound department! I can't imagine playing without several of the mods that add more sound instances to the game. This is now on my "must have" list. Thank you some much!

I made some custom sounds for my install that are not realistic but I think fit well. I figure I'd share them too in case anyone likes/wants them:

Download Link

only if resource has a part path crossing a dock, else if you want it full cases then id say just a new mod, be simple, a dozen sound mods all do their little corner, dont clump IMO

as for docking sounds, might i suggest taking both vessels, moment before they dock, get mass/momentum, and size of the docking port, see how 'hard' it docks, and scale volume to that - asked in IRC andi was told you can got both vessels from onPartCouple

and docking port size also play arole in which sound is used (that can already be done with MM just have no suggestions what dock gets what sound)

possibly also split dock/undock sounds so its just the initial/final connection, current sound also has latching sounds, move to a 3rd file - this can let docking volume scale with impact, but keep volume of latching the same

• 2 weeks later...

Why in gods name is this not in the stock game??? I mean, I'm seriously confused here... You'd think one of the most realistic and rewarding tasks in the game would have a sound effect that truly "rewards" the player. It would add just that little bit more excitement / cherry on top that would push the player's feelings of joy right over the edge.

Seriously, Squad, I know there are things that are REALLY difficult to add and implement, but adding these sounds shouldn't be one of them. This is just to damn good to pass up IMO.

Edited by FiiZzioN

Cool docking ear r*pe sound !

Well, at least it's not the kind of "ear r*pe" some YouTube Poops* have.

I personally like the sounds, they add a good amount of atmosphere (not the air kind, silly :P) to the game, I'm surprised that this hasn't been added to Chatterer yet.

*Disclaimer: Hieywiey does not take responsibility for the subsequent actions or consequences of watching "YTPs", as most contain foul language (unless they're by DaThings1). Watch them at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I dont understand the 4 knocking sounds after the main sound..

The first sound is (in real life) the metal rod scratching on the side of the docking port. When it slides in it lockes and numerous bolts are locking the whole thing in place, thats the clicking sounds !

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2015, 4:44:16, TinyPirate said:

Hi there! I featured this mod in my 2 Minute Mod series. Hope you enjoy :)

Thanks!!  I appreciate it!

On 10/10/2015, 9:31:55, Avera9eJoe said:

tg626 I can't help but notice that this mod saves to a folder outside of gamedata called "source". Almost all other sound mods save in a folder called "sources". Is there a particular reason?

Many don't include the source with the mod, I did just for convenience.  I isn't required for the mod to work (read the readme), so I could call it "source", "sources", "foobar", or "felgergarb" it wouldn't matter.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The license is CC BY-SA 4.0, so in case @tg626 goes missing, technically anyone who has a copy (and a place to upload it) is allowed to post it, as long as they credit the original author.

I have archived a copy of the 1.2 download, but don't exactly have a place to upload it (other than a github account). What is the preferred way to act in this situation?

I'm also hoping that pinging the original author in this thread may bring the situation into his attention :)

On 6/19/2015 at 3:07 PM, monstah said:

Awesome, these little mods are what make KSP a fantastic game rather than just a cool game.

Oh, happy 666th, tg626 ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, you should have had your 666th post below this one, but I left the tab open too long and you ninja'd me. Oh well, good bye joke.

Freaky. I scrolled up to @tg626's post to see how many more he's gotten since now, and found his rep to be 666 now!

Frea-ky.

13 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

spacedock.info is the successor to Kerbalstuff, so it would be the logical place for a new upload.

Mm, that is a logical choice. I suppose my main concerns here are:

1. It's been "just" three months since tg626's last post in this thread - should we keep waiting for a short while more to see if tg626 reacts (now that we have posted about the unavailability of the download), or just go ahead with an upload?
  2. How to upload the mod in a manner such that tg626 can take over the administration of the download page when/if he returns? Or so that someone else can take over?

Some temporary location wouldn't be a problem (could be removed once an official download is available again), but on SpaceDock, there will likely be future confusion between a "DockingSoundsTempRedistribution" and a later official "DockingSounds", if both are available at some point. The URL of the future official version (if any) does not exist at the point of time when the temporary distribution is made, so the .version file cannot be made to automatically track official updates.

I suppose this is possible to work around - once an official version becomes available again - by updating the temporary redistribution at that point with a dummy release that just changes the version file to point users to the official download, but that requires maintenance. My gaming patterns are too erratic to guarantee that I'll be around to update the temporary distribution possibly much later.

It appears from his activity on here and twitter that tg626 is now only online for a few days around the start of each month. I suggest you just put it on any generic file sharing site, post the link here, and pm tg626 with the login detail so he can pull it if/when he wishes. That way you can forget about it and everyone should be happy. 

Yes, I would NOT host it on SpaceDock, or Curse, or Git... tg626 has other mods also... Its kinda too soon to fork, or redux this mod... And before doing ANYTHING with a mod youre not affiliated with, you should ALWAYS try to contact the mod dev directly thru PM or email...Even if they havent been around for EVER... I just learned that the hard way...

Yeah, I'm not suggesting forking the mod - like others, I'd just like a temporary download location to be available while we wait for the original author to return.

Posted on Dropbox:

[deleted, see new official download by tg626]

It's the exact original zip, with only the filename changed to use only underscores and to credit the author. I imagine anyone Googling for "docking sounds tg626" will be pointed to this thread. For those that care about such things, md5sum -b is 6e6a9ec033f6a2cd62ca7716575fd09a, and sha1sum -b is 87f0e78208c51680f699febe459511cb3691855e.

@tg626: drop me a PM, or post about it in this thread, and I'll remove the download. I've set up notifications so that I'll get an email alert even if I'm not active on the forums at that time.

Edited by Technologicat
Temporary download removed now that the official one has returned.