This is why KSP is awesome!

ForumHelper

When I saw the lastest mun rover included in 'Cart' plugin(which is awesome), I immidiately thought about a thing that I\'m going to show to you in just a minute. In theory it might be possible now, someone would just have to develop a plugin which adds functions described below.

Let\'s say a plane carrying important cargo(Jeb\'s cat it might be) crashed in a terrain that\'s difficult to reach by land rovers OR crashing a rocket into an area next to our plane is not an option. This is when these little friends called unmanned vehicles(or drones) come into action.

A plane is launched from KSP, carrying two of these. Rescue mission is about to begin.

tripa.png

When the time comes, our robots are deployed into action.

screenshot11ro.png

Next step is fairly simple. After touchdown, onboard computers start and drones collect our target of great importance and then head to extraction area, where a transporter is waiting.

deployed.png

KSP is really going to be an outstanding game, I\'m sure of that! :D

I desperately hope that programmable autonomous vehicles are added in the future. As a robotics student it would be amazing to build a probe or drone and then program its behavior and just send it off and watch it go.

I desperately hope that programmable autonomous vehicles are added in the future. As a robotics student it would be amazing to build a probe or drone and then program its behavior and just send it off and watch it go.

Yeah, I\'d really like to see it. It would add so many possibilities to the game.

It might be a little more difficult than programming a BigTrak though.

It may not be too bad though, a huge ammount of the difficulty in programming a robot comes from lower level stuff like reading sensors and controlling actuators. Not to mention accounting for unreliability and inaccuracy.

You could do some pretty powerful things with very basic instructions when you can guarantee reliability and consistency.

Ultimately, your idea could enable us to do something like the White Knight / Spaceship One combination. After separation, both craft need to be piloted simultaneously. But if the carrier could glide down on autopilot, the investors would be much happier. Something tells me this scenario asks a lot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.