Squadcast Summary - 6/19/2015

Alshain

Memory Leak in Temperature Gauges being looked at.

Oh are they ? Interesting. I thought they were the whole point of 1.0.3 hotfix for 1.0.2 that is hotfixing 1.0.1, wich is itself a hotfix for 1.0 ! But 6 weeks for fixing the temp gauge leak... that's a pretty cold hotfix. (at this rate the hotfixes' developments will take longer that 1.0 version's one took... </sarcasm>)

KasperVld likes the "confetti" fairings

All is lost ! (secretly praying for a fairing fix being the reason why 1.0.3 is taking so very freaking long)

Is this confirmed?

That would explain a lot of crashes.

I've not seen anything official myself but I've been watching KSP's memory use since the temp gauge thing was known. windows task manager definitely shows the increase in memory use with every scene change and when it hits about 3.6 gb, wham.

No off-site backups?!? Wow.
not having any off-site or cloud based backups of your main source of income is tempting the Kraken...

Am I the only one who read that as an off-the-cuff joke and not an indication that Squad keeps every bit of their source code in a single server that is itself dangling over a pit of fire?

I'm pretty sure Squad does offsite backups. And onsite backups. Likely multiple of them. Just like every other company that wants to keep running.

\I thought they were the whole point of 1.0.3 hotfix for 1.0.2 that is hotfixing 1.0.1, wich is itself a hotfix for 1.0 ! But 6 weeks for fixing the temp gauge leak... that's a pretty cold hotfix. (at this rate the hotfixes' developments will take longer that 1.0 version's one took... </sarcasm>)

That doesn't sound like sarcasm at all. In fact, it sounds like the truth.

Is there a reason we're not getting devnotes from someone on the dev team?

Two things:

1) Squadcast isn't a devnotes. It's a guy playing KSP and answering questions from viewers - usually vaguely and poorly.

2) The reason we're not getting devnotes is because they announced the PS4 release in the devnotes this week instead of noting what the devs were doing.

Yes, it was a joke. Someone asked KasperVld what they would do if a meteor hit Squad HQ and he simply replied that not much of the planet would be the same if that happened (think extinction level event). You guys are reading WAY too much into that line :P

One of the few things i hope they fix regarding fairings : clamshell possibility (with smoothing if possible), limit the amount of slowdown fairing 'transparency' in the vab generate (on larger fairings it's quite horrible :P) and the possibility to fire engines from within fairings / cargobays. If they are not open ended, the engine exhaust should of course hit the fairing and do no thrust, but if it's open ended, no reason why thrust should not work - would allow us to make nice custom size SRBs :P

I've not seen anything official myself but I've been watching KSP's memory use since the temp gauge thing was known. windows task manager definitely shows the increase in memory use with every scene change and when it hits about 3.6 gb, wham.

I was experiencing the same problem, regardless of PPFX setting and heat gauges being disabled (despite what seems to be the common ruling on the problem). I'm not sure if it was 100% related the the scene changes, but they surely didn't help - and would take forever. My solution was just to watch the task manager and quit out whenever RAM use exceeded 3gb.

Anyway, where I'm going with this, is the other night I decided to fire up a new game on pure hard mode, and for some reason - no leaks! I'm playing unmodded, and the game stayed completely stable between 2 and 2.5 gb. The game that seems to have the leak problem is my game that I started at 1.0 and transitioned up through 1.02 that was a custom difficulty that allowed reverts and saves. This leads me to a few very fast conclusions (as I surely haven't tested enough to say for sure) - either the memory leak I'm experiencing is tied to the hotfix updates of my existing game, or it's tied to something particular to the saving/loading/reverting not associated with the hard difficulty setting.

Yes, it was a joke. Someone asked KasperVld what they would do if a meteor hit Squad HQ and he simply replied that not much of the planet would be the same if that happened (think extinction level event). You guys are reading WAY too much into that line :P

Is that the September 24th asteroid impact conspiracy theory reference?

I was experiencing the same problem, regardless of PPFX setting and heat gauges being disabled (despite what seems to be the common ruling on the problem).

It is a confirmed bug which is listed with critical priority in in the official KSP bug tacker. This was mentioned earlier in this thread here.

Am I the only one who read that as an off-the-cuff joke and not an indication that Squad keeps every bit of their source code in a single server that is itself dangling over a pit of fire?

Not at all, since early 2015 I've been considering anything that Kasper mentions on the forum as a early/late April fools joke ;)

It is a confirmed bug which is listed with critical priority in in the official KSP bug tacker. This was mentioned earlier in this thread here.

Got it, I was just very surprised that the new game I started didn't have the problem at all, even after playing for hours.

This guy... :rolleyes:

Hopefully Kasper playing KSP was more tolerable than Max playing KSP?

Depends on what you mean by "tolerable". Personally I like watching Max mess up :P Kasper is much more skilled at playing the game, that is for certain.

• Announcement: 1.0.3 Due for release next week. Maybe a bit late, but it is looking very good for next week barring any major issues.

From KSP Twitter: "Next week Tuesday is #AsteroidDay, created to raise awareness about asteroid danger. We suggest you keep an eye on @AsteroidDay for updates."

So there were major issues. The two month wait for a memory leak "hotfix" that was "found" and "dealt with" in May drags on.

Isn't Kasper, like, the community manager?

Is there a reason we're not getting devnotes from someone on the dev team?

Kasper's the Lead Moderator, the Community Manager position is currently vacant. He is a Squad employee, though.

Squadcast has never been done by a developer (aside from the big team meetup a few weeks ago in Mexico, everyone was there then), usually it's MaxMaps doing them, who is a producer rather than coder.

From KSP Twitter: "Next week Tuesday is #AsteroidDay, created to raise awareness about asteroid danger. We suggest you keep an eye on @AsteroidDay for updates."

So there were major issues. The two month wait for a memory leak "hotfix" that was "found" and "dealt with" in May drags on.

you have caught us out, we fixed the memory leak and now have been sitting around doing nothing and will be waiting until 2016 to realise it, no other changes have been done, or worked on.

you have caught us out, we fixed the memory leak and now have been sitting around doing nothing and will be waiting until 2016 to realise it, no other changes have been done, or worked on.

Ah, I see. Kerbal 1.0 is crashing at a rate it never has before. Newbs all over are complaining about an amateurish, crash-heavy memory leaking game. So you're not going to prioritize a hotfix. Let's put in new secret features and balance aero and heat instead. By the way, what have you been working on in your capacity as "Discombobulated Moderator"? I wonder if you've been so busy coding, 3d-modeling for the game "you" are working on, if you just haven't had a chance to play it recently?

Kasper's the Lead Moderator, the Community Manager position is currently vacant. He is a Squad employee, though.

Squadcast has never been done by a developer (aside from the big team meetup a few weeks ago in Mexico, everyone was there then), usually it's MaxMaps doing them, who is a producer rather than coder.

I would consider the producer part of all of the teams, since it's my understanding he oversees all the teams.

The point here, though, really was the summary didn't make it sound as if Kasper was particularly knowledgeable about whats going on, so why was he doing the Squadcast.

I guess "he's an Squad employee" is the reason.

- - - Updated - - -

you have caught us out, we fixed the memory leak and now have been sitting around doing nothing and will be waiting until 2016 to realize it, no other changes have been done, or worked on.

Man, c'mon! Is it really fair to harass community members about legit questions re: upcoming patches for known issues when the devs/producer haven't been very forth-coming discussing it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.