Squadcast Summary - 6/19/2015

Alshain

...Man, c'mon! Is it really fair to harass community members about legit questions re: upcoming patches for known issues when the devs/producer haven't been very forth-coming discussing it?

So, it's okay for us to criticize and be snarky, but they can't be even somewhat mildly ironic? How was that 'harassing'?

Squadcast is a voluntary thing hosted by whoever in Squad has the free time and wants to host it; usually Maxmaps. Which then gets written up by volunteers, if they have the free time and feel like doing it. It's best to keep expectations low, and think of any news item that comes out of it as a "bonus feature." If the hosts get too much grief over it, they will stop doing it, and the occasional bits of trivia and news "leaks" will be gone with it.

Sure am glad I don't have this memory leak issue with either of the rigs I play KSP on. it sounds horrible, or folks are just overreacting on the internet, I'll go with it being horrible. So much negativity here of late...this is why people stop making games. Thanks Squad for a great game, hope it keeps getting better!

Sure am glad I don't have this memory leak issue with either of the rigs I play KSP on. it sounds horrible, or folks are just overreacting on the internet, I'll go with it being horrible. So much negativity here of late...this is why people stop making games. Thanks Squad for a great game, hope it keeps getting better!

Well but we have to be negative. You know this scene change memory leak is from 0.25 and they were not able to fix it. Now we will have 1.0.3 and looks like they will fix only this heat memory leak but not the scene changer memory leak. Sorry but to me this looks like they have no idea what they are doing and bcs of this I have to be negative and nearly gave up on this great game.

So, it's okay for us to criticize and be snarky, but they can't be even somewhat mildly ironic? How was that 'harassing'?

There are (or at least should be) very different levels of acceptable behavior between the typical community members and moderators, especially the 'official' blue mods.

Personally, I found sjwt's post to be straight up rude and belittling to Mandelbrot's reasonable comment, so I said something.

Stop being jerks. Memory leak is optional and can be turned off by F10 key.

The official fix for the past 6 weeks has been "just dont use the feature". Anyone else find that ridiculous?

The official fix for the past 6 weeks has been "just dont use the feature". Anyone else find that ridiculous?

Pick your poison here. The last two patches (and main update), the community screamed at Squad for "rushing" everything, now when they take their time with one the community is complaining it's not coming fast enough.

Not when it's phrased as a temporary workaround, with a fix on the horizon. (I'm just as disappointed as everyone else, that it's been delayed.)

The way I remember it, there was a huge uproar about the new aero when 1.0.2 dropped. I'm still under the impression that this will be the main issue of 1.0.3, together with maybe a few more balance things. These need testing and I presume this to be the reason why it's taking so long.

The memory leak is bad, it is important, but it isn't urgent. besides, it's optional. As far as I'm concerned, crash-on-scene-change is far and away the worst KSP killer, and I need to go through *many* build/launch/revert cycles before it bites me. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see all that leaky stuff fixed, but it's not as if the game was unplayable in the mean time.

I'll probably be not happy when 1.0.3 drops because I got used to the current aero in the mean time. I sure as hell hope that whatever they come up with will finally be here to stay.

To be fair I play a bit of ksp and haven't had a single crash since 1.0 came out. I have orbitals around the mun and minmas and a base on minmas in my current 1.0 career and am gearing up for Duna. I have also done s lot of STO space plane missions and have played for 2-3 hours at a crack.

I also play stock so maybe it's not the newbs having issues but the experienced players that are stretching the system already?

I think the frustration surrounding the 1.0.3 issue on BOTH sides should be pretty clear when you look at what has been said about it:

• May 19 (Tuedsay): Max states on twitter the patch is coming later this week.
  • May 22 (Friday): Max says on twitter it's not coming this week... no kidding. Also calls the community savages. Lol, or something.
  • Nothing the following week except Max states on Twitter "we're working on it"
  • June 2 (Tuesday): 1.0.3 goes into "Long experimentals," as per Max in the dev notes. Won't see release for at least two weeks.
  • June 9 (Tuesday): 1.0.3 "doing well" and new features being added.
  • June 16 (Tuesday): Two weeks after "won't release for at least two weeks" we get... PS4... and nary a mention of 1.0.3.
  • June 19 (Friday): 1.0.3 due out next (this) week, and Kasper can't comment on what's in it.

So, Squad is actually doing a better job than they have in the past because they've actually said *something*. Last year, they basically went months between telling the community anything other than how awesome they were.

However we still don't know whats even *IN* patch 1.0.3. Is *still* it supposed to be an aero re-balance? Does it fix the memory leak? Why can't Kasper comment on what's in it, or at least what's planned to be in it. Oh, but it has Roverdude's new secret "THING", it it...

So yeah, we get frustrated because the game has problems. Literally game breaking problems. And the publisher won't even tell us if they're fixing it this patch or not after stringing us along for a month.

That's bad communication, and it's making people frustrated and angry.

Edited by sal_vager

R.I.C. has it right :) As mildly painful as the six weeks is, it has been a well-documented delay, thanks to devnotes and Squadcast.

Orbital, check this Squadcast summary. Most of your questions are answered there.

May 29 - Mu reveals change to heating calculation, this big change is a major reason for putting the patch out to the Experimentals test team.

You have a fair point about communication in general. Squad does not like to issue a change list, until the whole thing is locked for certain. Some companies might put one out early with "subject to change" warnings, but for Squad and patches... not so often.

Edit: You made a nice list, I was thinking about doing the same (albeit, with a less critical tone.)

Edited by basic.syntax

Pick your poison here. The last two patches (and main update), the community screamed at Squad for "rushing" everything, now when they take their time with one the community is complaining it's not coming fast enough.

No need to pick poisons, one needs to pick priorities. Features that need a lot of balancing (e.g. aerodynamics, reentry, 1.0, etc) should not be rushed. Critical issues including the memory leak and the OS X problems on the other hand should defo be fixed ASAP. The two are not mutually exclusive as they should not be part of the same update/hotfix, this isn't rocket science.

Stop being jerks. Memory leak is optional and can be turned off by F10 key.

Yes stop being jerks, the OS X crashes are optional just play on Winlux!

Edited by Yakuzi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.