What will KSP's future be? (Warning: Flames Ahead)

RAINCRAFTER

What will happen first?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen first?

• 1.1. Stock multiplayer, YEAH!
    • 1.0.4. Destruction of the Krakens!
    • The PS4 version being released.
    • Other (and for this, tell me what you think in the replies!)

After 1.0.3, what do you think the developers are going to focus on? (If in the poll you selected "Other", please tell me what you think it might be.)

EDIT: Now you can say either 1.1 or 1.0.4 for U5. (Tell me if you say so in the replies and select "Other.") (1.0.3 U5? Don't select that, we are looking further forwards!) (When I created the poll, I thought 1.0.3 meant U5.) So many Edits! Oh well then. Cheers, RAINCRAFTER.

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

Multiplayer I feel will take a while still (even with the advent of Unet speeding things up significantly) at the same time, I doubt there will be a 1.0.4 ... (with 1.0.3 appearing to be last patch before 1.1)

PS4 is comfirmed coming 2016, so 1.1 (with unity 5.1 upgrade) is definetly coming first

U5 will be the next big change, because there's no point coding anything new before then.

It should make getting rid of the physics bubble a breeze, which will make multi-player (shudder) easier.

U5 will be the next big change, because there's no point coding anything new before then.

It should make getting rid of the physics bubble a breeze, which will make multi-player (shudder) easier.

The physics bubble isn't the big problem with multiplayer, timewarp is. DMP has personal time zones that might be synced, but Squad is considering other systems.

How come Unity 5 isn't an option?

Is there any sort of ETA (official or unofficial) for the Unity 5 update? And is my understanding correct that unity 5 will finally allow the game to utilize more than one CPU core for physics calculations?

My guess: development of KSP slows down gradually in 2015 and will come to a complete stop in 2016 when the PS4 version is released. Renegade bugs are squashed throughout 2015 and the game will be improved with better gameplay-balance and visual extra's, like clouds and a new skybox. And last but not least: Unity 5. No more planets will be added.

The modding community will continue to boom with some very ambitious projects, helped by the implementation of Unity 5 and better memory performance. We might even see high-quality multiple solar systems modded into the game.

A heat wave will envelop the US eastern coast in july and talks in the EU concerning the financial crisis in Greece results in solid agreements. Wait, I'm getting offttopic ... !

I see no way multiplayer is included in 1.1.

1.1 will be primarily the U5 upgrade, maybe a few new parts, and a very slim chance for the addition of GP2

PS4 after that, multiplayer after all that.

Is there any sort of ETA (official or unofficial) for the Unity 5 update? And is my understanding correct that unity 5 will finally allow the game to utilize more than one CPU core for physics calculations?

I dont think even squad knows.. Porting to a different engine will lead to alot of unpredictable things that has to be solved, so doubt it is possible to really estimate a timeframe yet.

Other :

A significant proportion of this community will eventually realize that complaining cynically about everything is nothing but a very unpleasant vogue.

The dark clouds of trendy grumpiness will be chased away, and then everything will be fine.

Then the silver bees will build me an enchanted hut.

Other :

A significant proportion of this community will eventually realize that complaining cynically about everything is nothing but a very unpleasant vogue.

The dark clouds of trendy grumpiness will be chased away, and then everything will be fine.

Then the silver bees will build me an enchanted hut.

Yes, that. Also 1.1, but it's going to be Unity 5 and not multiplayer.

September 23rd. This is an unofficial ETA, with no basis in coding, development time, or hints dropped by devs. It is far enough away that if unity 5 comes out before that, people will forget it, and if it comes out after that, people will have forgotten it. ;)

I can't be the only one who doesn't really want multiplayer. I want to see SQUAD working on different things that suit the game better like Unity 5, Gas Planet 2, Squashing bugs, etc.

Im with you there. I have fun when my friend brings his computer over and we play alone, together. He plays his save, I play mine. I dont see the appeal of co-op for KSP.

Considering how Squad's behaved in the past, I don't think we can see anything in KSP's future other than 1.0.3 and maybe Unity 5. Multiplayerâ€â€though I would absolutely love to see it in the gameâ€â€will probably be canceled and after that they'll most likely add no new major features and eventually sell it to some other game company. Or they'll just leave the game be and modders will continue to improve the game as they always have.

>implying KSP has a future

Edited by mythbusters844

Why are people acting as if KSP can only be single player or multiplayer, but not both?

Are we even thinking of the same thing? We're talking about a game here, people - a game with modes, that you can select. Push one button, you get single player; push a different button and you get multiplayer.

If you want to play single player only, then play single player only. No one is going to force you to play multiplayer just because it suddenly becomes an option.

In fact, KSP is already multiplayer - with DMP. And when you install DMP, the single-player mode of KSP doesn't magically disappear. That'd just be silly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.