Editing kerbal roles

Okay I dove into my persistence to edit some kerbal names earlier (setting up a save with some new headcanon), but when I edited the names and saved the changes, they all defaulted to pilots. I don't readily see a field for their role, so how do I go about reverting that back to how I had it?

Edited by Captain Sierra

Hi Captain!

The roles are hard coded into the names, but have a look at Brotoro's excellent post and research found deep in his wonderful "Long-Term Laythe" thread, and you'll see the steps he went through to find a solution to the problem.

Thats both useful info and maddeningly unhelpful at the same time. Thx. Sounds like it has to boil down to a lot of experimenting to get them to generate as intended. What a pain.

Thx for linking that, it was definitely informational.

I hasten to add that there may be a mod that has been released since then, but I haven't researched that, sorry.

There's Astronaut Complex Overhaul, which lets you pick role, gender, and stats when hiring (its what I used to generate the two of them) but has no control on name. Kerbal Crew Manifest lets you name, set stats, and do some other things but IIRC it does not let you change role. Role and name are hard coded together, which is definitely a problem. I'll probably put in a support/suggestion later today about getting them unbound.

EDIT: in other news, I got them to the roles I wanted with some middle initials.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.