Sea Level Air Speed Record [1.0.2]

The 1.0.x incarnation of [thread=65788]this thread[/thread], the challenge is simple.

How fast can you go under 500 meters?

Take off from the runway, settle down into level flight over the ocean, and punch it!

Dems Rules:

• All craft must take off from the runway.
  • Jet engines only (this does include RAPIER engines*.
  • Craft must stay under 500 meters ASL altitude for the duration of the run.
  • Balanced part mods only** (you also may not modify stock jet engines in any way).
  • Physics altering mods are not allowed (your run should be replicable in a stock install).

*RAPIER-using craft must provide clear screenshots of their resource panel showing 0 oxidizer. This is a jet challenge (you get more power as a jet when you hit the power band anyway).

**The current mod list is far from complete. If you have a mod not on the list you'd like to see, then you may make your case in the thread. I also may consider opening a modded leaderboard for mods that are not balanced but many people still want.

Mods:

Allowed mods

Disallowed mods

• Kerbal Engineer/VOID/MechJeb
  • QuizTech Aero Pack
  • Mk2 Expansion
  • FAR
  • OPT Plane Pack

Leaderboard:

1. t3hJimmer - 1,254 m/s
  2. Andiron - 1,328 m/s

Edited by Captain Sierra

I'll kick this one off. I achieved a top speed of 1,254 m/s in a stock jet powered by a single turbo jet. The only mod i used was mechjeb to keep my craft level at high speed.

Aircraft Specs:

name: "eggsploder"

parts: 13

weight: 5.2 t

length: 10.7

wingspan: 9.0

Edited by t3hJimmer

After dozens of attempts I've finally got over 1700 m/s!

Craft Name: Rapier Hypersoar Jet

Top Speed: 1768 m/s

Highest Altitude: 497m

Images of Proof:

This is to show i used only jet fuel and the Rapier is on Air-Breathing mode.

myIUh7l.jpg

This is the craft from a bird's eye view.3Qy85y7.jpg

Takeoff!

Yaxomip.jpg

Catching Wind:

9MeO5zF.jpg

Decoupling Gear:

RUq0g4k.jpg

Picking Up Speed:

46gF0zz.png

Blasting Through:

udM482X.png

Moments after my wings burnt off!

qmOhGDQ.png

I calculated that my CoM would shift, so it took advantage of that and deliberately made my ship flip to Retrogade to slow down.

e2Eto8T.png

Deploying parachutes!

0snvB8u.png

Splash Down and ready for recovery!

ueIelVy.png

Results:

p5na0uC.png

Edited by AXCN_K.S.P

AXCN_K.S.P, wasn't aware it was possible to get nearly that fast at sea level in stock; everything that I'm building has a slight tendency to explode at around 1,300m/s. I attempted to replicate your achievement with a replica of your craft, but I found it to be too unstable for my piloting skills; it would spin out of control whenever it exceeded ~350m/s. Was able to get it up to ~450m/s once though. I have to ask how you did it, and if you could be so kind as to upload the craft file.

Anyways, my entry with a speed of 1,481m/s:

Here's the plane on the runway:

ognl7qd.jpg

Here's the plane prior to exploding:

LNDrD5N.jpg

Here's the plane after exploding:

iyFJtEt.jpg

And the final results:

8shF4nT.jpg

Might be able to get it above 1,500m/s, but it's overheating and exploding in about two seconds, so I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm inclined to play around with Nertea's heat control mod, but I'm not sure if that would be allowed for this challenge. Or maybe try to put a heat shield somewhere...

EDIT: Made with 1.0.2. Going to be testing in 1.0.3 later, and probably resubmitting.

Edited by narf0708
Fixing pictures

Okay! lots of submissions. Will be processing these and updating leaderboards tonight. 1.0.3 dropped today and reduced overall drag, so I'm gonna start version tagging entries. Can people please state which version they made their run in since I'm not sure we can directly compare 1.0.2 and 1.0.3. Thanks. Props to AXCN_K.S.P. for actually recovering his rocket thing.

AXCN_K.S.P, wasn't aware it was possible to get nearly that fast at sea level in stock; everything that I'm building has a slight tendency to explode at around 1,300m/s. I attempted to replicate your achievement with a replica of your craft, but I found it to be too unstable for my piloting skills; it would spin out of control whenever it exceeded ~350m/s. Was able to get it up to ~450m/s once though. I have to ask how you did it, and if you could be so kind as to upload the craft file.

I had to go through tons of attempts until I got to that speed, constantly changing the design, checking the CoM to see if it worked, however I do agree with the overheating. Every previous attempt I've flown tends to overheat before reaching 1500 m/s. In this instance I believe it could be a bug or more likely a glitch in my game that stops some parts from overheating, which may explain the heat resistance. So here's how to fly it:

1. SAS on and max throttle

2. Pitch up 10 degrees and decouple landing gear at around 275m/s

3. Pitch back down and carefully manouver it so it doesn't break

4. Wait for canards to heat up and change your SAS to prograde hold

5. Keep flying until the craft flips to retrograde then hold retrograde

6. Throttle to zero once speed is around 100m/s

7. Deploy parachutes at a safe speed

8. Land! (Well technically splash)

Take a look at these two extreme examples (Note that this isn't a re-submission):

First attempt (Failed). This pretty much blew up as soon as the rocket began to heat up. (Please note: this was when i had no fairing)

0vQJ0cS.png

And here's an example of a very successful run (Sadly later it failed by going over 500m and blew up soon after).

bCcGNA4.png

Why are my results always varying so much? (Rhetorical Question)

Edited by AXCN_K.S.P
Added Images

• 5 years later...

unknown.png

You can see the Rapiers in air breathing mode to prove I'm not using them in closed cycle.

unknown.png

Here's a picture in VAB showing zero oxidizer and only liquid fuel.

Jet engine world record is 2113 m/s so I'm still a ways off.

Edited by camacju

1 hour ago, camacju said:

@iamn00b I used some aerodynamic tricks along with part clipping. The parts you see aren't what they seem like. No mods, just some creative part placement.

can i please have the craft file for educational purposes? the main issue with my speeder is that the fairing will overheat, and i really wanna try to use a cargo bay, but i have never managed to get it to work

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.