Can you turn engine smoke off?

The one graphic setting i cant seem to change is the exhaust smoke and it is where literally 90% of my lag comes from, so what do i need to delete from my game file to remove the exhaust smoke and take off smoke?

I mean as cool as things like this look my PC just cant handle it.

gG77lUE.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

It seems there are serveral ways the smoke trail is made.

For example the LV-45T does it like that:

PART
{
fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, -5.74338, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
}

The turbojet works different:

PART
{
EFFECTS
{
running_thrust
{
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.25
speed = 1.0 1.0
localOffset = 0, 0, 1
localRotation = 1, 0, 0, -90
}
}

If you ask in Add-Ons/General Add-on Affairs, somebody is sure to give you a Modmanager file that will disable smoke for all stock engines. (You will need Modmanager for it to work!)

Good luck!

-snip-

Thats the smoke trail for the engines. Does that include launch smoke too?

OP: When your rocket breaks the frickin launchpad . . . . you have bigger problems. I imagine that's gonna lag like a mother whether you have smoke or not.

• 2 years later...
On 6/21/2015 at 0:26 PM, LittleBlueGaming said:

Surface FX needs to be disabled. Changing it in the settings won't work, you have to set it to False in the settings.cfg.

That don't work, as I was running into too much "smoke" issues myself and could care less for it.

Instead of setting the camera to look down and seeing all the smoke, you could always change it to look up.  With no ground or buildings to render, it should improve your frame rate a bit.  Not ideal, but maybe a temporary fix.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

Instead of setting the camera to look down and seeing all the smoke, you could always change it to look up.  With no ground or buildings to render, it should improve your frame rate a bit.  Not ideal, but maybe a temporary fix.

I tried it before, frame rate does go up about 2-3. But you can try reducing the terrain quality, it improved my FPS by quite a bit.

On 06/21/2015 at 2:00 PM, Roflcopterkklol said:

it is where literally 90% of my lag comes from

If you cant turn it off how do you know that is where the lag is from? :wink:

I doubt the smoke effects are that expensive.

Folks, this thread's from two years ago.  Whatever problems the OP may have had have presumably long since been resolved.  Moving to Gameplay Questions (since that's what this is really about), and locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If someone is having current problems with too much smoke and needs help with it, feel free to spin up a new thread.

Answering some of the current necro-posts here on the way out the door:  :wink:

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

If you cant turn it off how do you know that is where the lag is from? :wink:

(bearing in mind that you're quoting someone from two years ago)  There are a lot of ways one might get an idea of the source of the lag.  Some engines are smokier than others, and some ships are smokier than others (i.e. "lots of individual smaller engines" instead of "a few more powerful ones").  Also, "things get faster when I rotate the camera so <culprit> isn't in view."  Might be hard to tell for sure, but I could easily see it being possible to get a pretty good feel for where the problem is coming from.

On 6/21/2015 at 6:09 AM, softweir said:

If you ask in Add-Ons/General Add-on Affairs, somebody is sure to give you a Modmanager file that will disable smoke for all stock engines. (You will need Modmanager for it to work!)

^ This, although again, the OP presumably has long since gotten an answer, since the question was asked two years ago.

Also, if anyone does get hold of a nice ModuleManager patch to reduce rocket emissions, I'd suggest sharing it over in this thread here so that other people who may have similar issues can get the benefit: