Reptuation.

I was thinking about reputation, and how people get it, so I created this list of the 5 major ways to get reputation:

The Spacecraft exchange way - AKA The Majorjim way:

Basically, just releasing awesome craft in The Spacecraft Exchange.

The General KSP discussion way - AKA The Regex way:

Having strong opinions, which are shared by other people, and making funny, tongue in cheek posts.

The Fan Works way - AKA The 5thHorseman way:

Awesome video series, and/or other art/music.

The Modding way - AKA the Ferram4 way:

Awesome mods!

The Magic way - AKA the Squad way:

Magic.

The Gameplay Questions way - AKA The NathanKell way: Helping people get better at KSP.

The Moderator way - AKA The Moderator way: Making calming posts in contentious threads and locking those that are just flamewars. (Seriously, people rep for this sort of thing) (They should more-ED)

The hardest part of writing this post was choosing who to use as an example. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

I wonder if the reason Spacecraft Exchange people gain rep so quickly is because the stuff they make is used more often than an opinion, or a video, and so the craft and the user who makes it stick in the mind more.

I wonder if the reason Spacecraft Exchange people gain rep so quickly is because the stuff they make is used more often than an opinion, or a video, and so the craft and the user who makes it stick in the mind more.

That makes sense, but what about mod-makers? Maybe it's that mods get just as much rep as crafts, but since they aren't new ones constantly, they don't get as much rep.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget the Zekes way Spam pictures of ships on every thread XD

True, however I count that as the spacecraft exchange way.

Some others I've experienced:

The Gameplay Questions way:

Helping people get better at KSP.

The Moderator way:

Making calming posts in contentious threads and locking those that are just flamewars. (Seriously, people rep for this sort of thing)

Though if I'm honest most of mine comes from the General Discussion way.

That makes sense, but what about mod-makers? Maybe it's that mods get just as much rep as crafts, but since they aren't new ones constantly, they don't get as much rep.

Mods have a degree of delay of gratification that makes for less rep. A craft, picture or wisecrack can be immediately appreciated, while a mod requires the player to install and use it for a while before knowing whether it is good or not, and then remember to come back and rep the modder. It's a bit unfair in that the reputation system doesn't seem to reward modders who contribute so much to the community (with a few exceptions), though most of the modders I've interacted with don't care about forum reputation at all.

Some others I've experienced:

The Gameplay Questions way:

Helping people get better at KSP.

The Moderator way:

Making calming posts in contentious threads and locking those that are just flamewars. (Seriously, people rep for this sort of thing)

Though if I'm honest most of mine comes from the General Discussion way.

Mods have a degree of delay of gratification that makes for less rep. A craft, picture or wisecrack can be immediately appreciated, while a mod requires the player to install and use it for a while before knowing whether it is good or not, and then remember to come back and rep the modder. It's a bit unfair in that the reputation system doesn't seem to reward modders who contribute so much to the community (with a few exceptions), though most of the modders I've interacted with don't care about forum reputation at all.

I'll add those, good idea!

True, I have to admit, I sometimes rep craft without downloading them, especially if they use a great trick.

I actually tend to feel really bad when people rep me for closing a contentious thread - I'm just doing my job :( - and I'd prefer not to be closing the thread.

You all read it right here, next time you want to rep Duodex, instead pass it on to one of us more silent moderators ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.