Does anyone else do this?

Xyphos

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to docking and alignment so I often place a single structural panel on both docking parts to indicate which side is "up" and to help better align the parts when docking.

Y0vquws.png

Might I recommend using a single solar panel instead? It's less mass, possibly a little more visible, and serves a second purpose as, well, a solar panel.

Also never underestimate the power of the little green light on the DasValdez patented dorsal battery. :P

For alignment indication I typically put a spotlight on the active docking vessel. Align the vessels perpendicular to each other, aim the beam of light at the target port, hit H for a second and bang!

As for which side is up welll erm.... there's no up in space, right? :D

This is very useful for lining things up.

However, if one is opposed to mods, I must say that an antenna makes a useful indicator, as well

I'm not opposed to mods, so long as they are only visual aids such as RCS helper, Kerbal Engineer (and now Docking Helper added)

I just don't like using 3rd party parts or mods that fly the vessel for you, it kind of ruins the challenge that way.

I used to do this (although I'd use an antenna or a light), but my OCD is much better now.

But, if it is absolutely mission critical to have PERFECT alignment, then another approach I sometimes use is a dual docking port setup.

I like the lights suggestion, especially as I always try to have lights around my docking ports anyway.

I might have to go for dual docking ports instead, though, as the alignment is guaranteed (barring upside-down!) Unfortunately I am always riding the part count limit as it is... :(

modular rocket system has a part that is simple and non cheaty. Its just a docking port alignment plate you put behind them and it has a yellow and red light for indicating orientation, as well as green lights to show the docking port location easily. Mods aren't all bad :)

modular rocket system has a part that is simple and non cheaty. Its just a docking port alignment plate you put behind them and it has a yellow and red light for indicating orientation, as well as green lights to show the docking port location easily. Mods aren't all bad :)

Screenie:

EBi9KOt.jpg

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to docking and alignment so I often place a single structural panel on both docking parts to indicate which side is "up" and to help better align the parts when docking.

So you resolve your alignment OCD by breaking symmetry ? :confused:

Also never underestimate the power of the little green light on the DasValdez patented dorsal battery. :P

They also great for when you end up trying to dock in the shadow of a planet :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.