Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4 patch is now available!

SQUAD

WOW, all you guys at SQUAD are doing a fantastic job. I love this game so much. 3 years in and I still am learning and finding new things to do with this game thanks to your hard work and dedication. However I'm about to make myself sound like Noobitron 3000 by saying that I have started a new game on every single patch that has come out since March of 2012 and have never carried over a save file. I always assumed the mods I use would break the system like it did the one and only time I tried to import a save file. So The 1.0.4 Patch has me crying like a school girl that I haven't been importing my save files if it was safe to do so.......Then again I always have liked mirroring the real life space programs starting off (Mercury, Vostok, Gemini, etc.) so it's not so bad. In any case keep up te great work SQUAD.

How does that help? You can't download a DVD to your PS4.

:face: <- :palm:

I'm going to assume for the moment that you don't know that modern consoles have, for over a decade, had hard drives available. The current generation has them standard.

Day-1 patches are actually quite common on modern consoles. You buy a game, install it, and then it downloads a gig or more of patch.

Getting a huge FPS drop in the VAB due to parachutes throwing exceptions, but other than that, v1.0.4 seems fine.

Broke quite a few 1.0.3 mods. Something tells me Squad may not have given us a simple hotfix for 1.0.4. Feels more like a different branch.

Anyone have a link inside the forum for the patch notes? I can't view the regular website, at work

I don't think there is one for the 1.0.4 hotfix, beyond what is mentioned in the OP of this thread.

If you mean for 1.0.3, here it is:

=================================== v1.0.3 ============================================================

New:

Parts:

* Added five new Radiator parts, three of which are deployable.

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:

Misc:

* Fixed a bug where using the reset button with an Asteroid loaded would break the Mun tutorial.

* Made part's internal highlighter much more efficient.

* Disabled flashing highlighter in temperature gauges. (fixes memory leak with temperature overlay)

* Fixed KSPUtil.PrintLatitude/Longitude giving wrong result for small negative values.

* Fix for horizontalSrfSpd being incorrectly calculated.

* Fixed unfortunate typo in the Docking Tutorial.

* Fixed an issue where moving the camera using a 3D mouse would break drag-and-dropping of parts in the editors.

Thermal:

* 1.0.3 features a revised thermal mechanic to better balance heating/cooling between pods and spaceplanes.

* Parts now have separate internal temperature and skin temperatures.

* Skin temperature is the temperature used for radiation and convection, as well as engine exhaust damage.

* Part internal temperature is increased by modules that generate heat and is used for part-part conduction.

* Part internal and skin temperature also conduct between each other.

* Solar panel efficiency is now calculated based on skin temperature.

* When in an atmosphere, there is a divide between the exposed (to convection) and unexposed skin temperatures.

* When not in an atmosphere, only one skin temperature is tracked; the two temperatures are unified on atmosphere exit.

* Radiative outflux and influx is tracked separately for exposed and unexposed areas of skin (since the shock temperature is much higher than ambient temperature).

Physics:

* Added curve to control drag coefficient exponent to DCL and Physics.cs

* With lowered drag for sharply-tapered cubes, wing lift and wing drag lowered to match.

* Convection velocity exponent raised to 3.3 to increase reentry heat, as well as convection factor.

* Convection min area typo corrected.

* Newtonian convection kept pace with hypersonic convection.

* Drag curves modified to lower transonic hump.

* Wing curves modified to lower change in drag based on deflection.

* Calculation of exposed area for convection fixed, spaceplanes no longer get as extreme heat.

* Flight integrator: allow setting of newtonian density exponent (default 0.5) and use density or density^exponent whichever is greater.

* Broke radiation into two parts, you get the regular background temp on your face not exposed to reentry flux, and the very high reentry one for the area that is.

* Clamped convection correctly so you will never pass external temperature.

* Added a factor to simulate the switch from laminar to turbulent flow (in layman's terms, if you're going too fast too low, you get a massive boost to heating). That corrects so steep reentries are in fact deadlier than shallow ones.

* Added conduction-changer module to Mk1 and Mk1-2 pods (necessary to not kill chutes), buffed heat shields for new heat loads. Changed burn/rip numbers for drogue chutes.

* Parachute module updated to use the new convection code.

* Skin temperature variables are controllable on per-part basis.

* Sped up Flight Integrator slightly by minimizing repeated loops through parts.

* Better compute various vessel values This should lower phantom orbit changing and wobble!

* Remove thermal mass as a factor in conduction rate: what matters is area.

* Add conduction between parts' skins (as well as between the internals of parts, between a part's internals and its skin, and between the exposed and unexposed skin of a part, all of which were already in.)

* Fix some small issues in conduction (better clamping), sped it up slightly.

* Fixed issue with radiation (no longer have to use dirty hack to prevent parts blowing up).

* Lowered skin thickness slightly globally, made magic number sane (part.skinMassPerArea is now in kg/m^2).

* Added Hsp (resource thermal mass value) to Ore resource.

Parts:

* Updated Mk1 Inline Cockpit model.

* Further decrease in LV-N heat production.

* Rebalance of SRB for the new drag changes.

* KR-2L description updated, mass to 9t, SL Isp to 255.

* Jet thrusts rebalanced for new drag (thrusts lowered, BJE curves altered). Jet Isp halved due to increased fuel quantity and lower drag.

* Lowered LV-N heat a bit, still a bit hot.

* Edited KS-25x4 "Mammoth" engine description.

* Update description of radial-mount engines to recommend use for extra attitude control.

* Mk1 fuel tank: uses same dry mass fraction and resource filling compared to its LFO counterpart as Mk2 parts do.

* Radial attachment point cost lowered.

* Shielded docking port radial attach node fixed.

* Aerospike mass lowered as a buff (it needed a buff to compete with late-tier engines) and tangents fixed.

* Heat shield thermal mass modifier increased to 0.05 to deal with increased heating. Max temp lowered to 3000 to avoid totally overpowered radiation heatloss.

* Mk3 cargo bays have override cubes (they got missed when cargo bays got custom cubes) - should now have expected drag.

* New large landing gear have override cubes (cubes were reversed).

* Mk3 parts have breaking forces/torques specified and should no longer break on landing.

* Mk2 cockpits have same breaking force/torque as other Mk2 parts.

* Ablator resource heat capacity increased.

* Rebalanced LV-1 to have Sea Level ISP of 80.

* Rebalanced Poodle to have Sea Level ISP of 90.

* To fix spaceplane vs pod reentry and better allow hot reentries, temp is separated between part internal temperature and part skin temperature.

* Fixed some occlusion issues. Occlusion is now over-generous rather than under-generous.

* Buffed heat resistance of spaceplane parts.

* Added in CoL and CoP offsets for wing parts, no longer at the attach node.

* Fix for ablator and configs not taking skin temp into account.

* Fixed Radian vs Lat/Lon bug in Overlay and made displays more consistent.

* Fixed potential exploits with sci lab.

* Removed transparency and added direct-attach node to heat shields.

* Balanced heat shields for skin temps. A Mk1-2 straight-in reentry to Eve starting at 6.5km/sec surface (more orbital) is just barely survivable (ablator fully depletes), and regular Eve and Kerbin Munar reentries deplete about 1/6 to 1/4 the shield.

* Added a tuning factor to conduction between parts with different shielded states, so a cargo/service bay won't conduct much to parts within it. Since radiation is disabled for parts within bays, they'd just increase in temperature with no way to cool during reentry, and parts in bays would be the first to blow up on reentry.

* Upped non-drogue chute default full-deploy altitude since pods were crashing before the chute fully opened.

* Upped non-drogue chutes' stress/thermal limits for deployment (safe speed is now around 290m/s at sea level rather than 250). Increased the time to fully deploy slightly so less of a G shock.

* Increased max temp of linear RCS, slightly decreased max temp of RCS quad.

* Tweaks to fairings to change the skin:internal thermal mass distribution, and better protect parts inside fairings and cargo bays.

* Not-Rockomax Micronode side stack nodes corrected.

* Parachutes now have deployment warnings in the Part Action menu, when it's safe to deploy etc.

* Halved intakeAir requirements for jets. Slightly raises service ceiling, mainly helps mitigate flameouts due to resource transfer issues.

* Balanced thermal mass of drogue chutes to correct max opening velocities.

* Attach node refinements on Wing Connector Type A and Structural Wing Type A.

* Removed drag from Intake context UI.

Modding API:

* flow multiplier curves can multiply thrust rather than flow.

* Added method to convert string to ConfigNode.

* Un-hardcoded altitude for navball velocity indicator to change modes.

FX:

* Heat animations for engine nacelles and 1.25m intakes.

* SR-71 style exhaust flame for TurboRamjet.

* Nose and tail cones heat animation.

* Fixed incorrect transparency on the letter P on the UKSA flag.

I can't seem to download the update. First Google Chrome blocked the download, now it says there's a server migration. Also, the launcher doesn't seem to know there's been an update.

I'm going to assume for the moment that you don't know that modern consoles have, for over a decade, had hard drives available. The current generation has them standard.

I didn't know that either, but then I'm still using a PS2, which uses removeable memory cards for save files.

I can't seem to download the update. First Google Chrome blocked the download, now it says there's a server migration. Also, the launcher doesn't seem to know there's been an update.

Check your download folder before giving up--you may find it in there, with the option to have Chrome 'recover this malicious file'. That's what I did :)

The topic of consoles is a reminder that games can be developed, thoroughly tested, and released without serious bugs. From before the NES until the PS2 and Xbox era hundreds upon hundreds of games were made that way.

The reason it's not like that any more is that testing costs money and delaying the release costs money, and in an age where developers expect patching to be possible on all platforms they can get away with skimping on testing and rushing the release. Never mind that a multi-gigabyte download may for some players take a long time or even cost them real money.

/rant

Check your download folder before giving up--you may find it in there, with the option to have Chrome 'recover this malicious file'. That's what I did :)

You may need to check the Download tab ( Ctrl + J ) in Chrome to "recover this malicious file". You may not be able to do it from the downloads folder.

That's the first thing I tried. It came up with an error and didn't do anything. There was a "Unconfirmed 600101.crdownload" in the download folder, which generally means an incomplete download.

I'll try again later.

I find nothing wrong with releasing another patch. Squad, please feel free to release fixes as often as you like. I like quick releases because you can get feedback from users faster and avoid spending weeks in QA cycles.

That's the first thing I tried. It came up with an error and didn't do anything. There was a "Unconfirmed 600101.crdownload" in the download folder, which generally means an incomplete download.

I'll try again later.

If the "date modified" in your download folder looks about right (the date and time you downloaded it), you can just rename the "Unconfirmed..." to "KSP104.zip" (or whatever name you want, just make sure it's .zip) and okay the warning about changing the extension. Worked for me.

KSP still doesn't save settings. Since at least 1.02 every time i launch the game settings reset. For example: I start a launcher, then go into settings and change terrain details, resolution, mute volume etc. Then after saving the settings i launch the game. After loading it there's a pop-up about sending anonymous data and music (eventhough i muted everything) I go into settings, lower it down and save and bam! Game is in windowed 1280x720 with default graphic settings. I need to open settings again, change resolution, details etc. After playing the game I close it normally and each time I reload the game it happens again. Am I only player experiencing this issue or is it a known but ignored bug?

KSP still doesn't save settings. Since at least 1.02 every time i launch the game settings reset. For example: I start a launcher, then go into settings and change terrain details, resolution, mute volume etc. Then after saving the settings i launch the game. After loading it there's a pop-up about sending anonymous data and music (eventhough i muted everything) I go into settings, lower it down and save and bam! Game is in windowed 1280x720 with default graphic settings. I need to open settings again, change resolution, details etc. After playing the game I close it normally and each time I reload the game it happens again. Am I only player experiencing this issue or is it a known but ignored bug?

Sounds like a permissions thing. Like you don't have permission to write to the config file.

If someone is having an issue with the patch, then I assume it is best to post their issue to the support forums.

If the complaint is about consistency in development or delivery processes, geeze... I don't know where best to post that... might as well be here I guess.

Sounds like a permissions thing. Like you don't have permission to write to the config file.

Unfortunately not. I allowed full modification for all users both on launcher, ksp.exe, settings.cfg and even the whole game folder. I've also unticked read-only for the folder. I've forgotten to mention that changing anything in settings.cfg doesn't work either. Should I post it to support?

UPDATE: I've found a workaround. Deleting settings.cfg helped. Looks like it's a known issue with joystick support. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126444-1-0-3-1-0-4-still-resets-all-settings-on-restart

Edited by BraciaB
Problem solved

KSP still doesn't save settings...

This is a problem Windows causes if you run KSP from inside Program files or Program files (x86) - it doesn't allow KSP to write settings data into its own folder, so forces the saves to go to a "ghost" folder it creates elsewhere. The solution is to create a folder outside of Program files and run KSP from there; a good place is C:\Games\KSP.

A better solution would be for Squad to get with Windows standards and put the gamesaves, settings and mods in the appropriate Windows special folders.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.