Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4 patch is now available!

SQUAD

A better solution would be for Squad to get with Windows standards and put the gamesaves, settings and mods in the appropriate Windows special folders.

Personally, I much prefer games that keep all their files in their own folders like KSP does.

I hate having to track down saves and configs in %appdata% or 'my documents' or whatever other place the developer opted for. If it's been installed to my D:\Steam Library folder, then I don't want to find bits of it insisting on living elsewhere. Also, this way games remain Mac and Linux compatible :)

Personally, I much prefer games that keep all their files in their own folders like KSP does.

Same here... I like the way save games are handled in KSP. Hate it when games stick a bunch of random folders elsewhere on my system.

Same here... I like the way save games are handled in KSP. Hate it when games stick a bunch of random folders elsewhere on my system.

Ditto for me. In addition to the above, keeping everything together makes it really easy to back up and restore your entire game - with your saves - to and from anywhere.

I find the whole convoluted Windows standard disgusting. Especially because it is a non-standard, as everyone uses it differently. Some go for My Games/Spiele, others for a folder named like the game, others deem it necessary to first create a folder for their company ...

I find the whole convoluted Windows standard disgusting. Especially because it is a non-standard, as everyone uses it differently. Some go for My Games/Spiele, others for a folder named like the game, others deem it necessary to first create a folder for their company ...

The general pros and cons of the windows mechanisms are not relevant, only those that specifically apply to KSP. In the case of KSP the ability to have multiple copies of KSP (same version or different) which keeps all the associated saves within it makes it much easier (and safer) to run different versions or different mod sets and not get problems because you accidentally load a save from the central location that is incompatible with the KSP you are running (or the mods) and results in breaking of the save (e.g. deletion of vessels that contain parts that aren't installed).

Hi,

I'm making another approach to Sun low orbit an I equiped my probe with new cooling system BUT, not the whole ship, it's only where I applied new parts everything is shaking like crazy, do you knnow whats wrong?

Thx

This is not really the place for it, you'd be better off asking in General/Gameplay Questions and Tutorials.

For what it's worth, I suspect you may have some clipping going on. Be sure to attach a photo of your ship when you ask in the right place!

A better solution would be for Squad to get with Windows standards and put the gamesaves, settings and mods in the appropriate Windows special folders.
Sorry, that's a terrible solution because of my seven installs which all use different mods and savegames.

Oh no please, no, for the love of Dog. :P

Remember in the Win98 days when all programs wanted to store stuff in My Documents. That folder ended up so full of things that were NOT your documents that people had to hack the registry to move the MD folder to somewhere else or/and pretend it didn't exist.

Also, the multiple copies at the same time is a big thing for KSP.

Sorry, that's a terrible solution because of my seven installs which all use different mods and savegames.

This. The only way I could see that working is if the core game allows mod enabling/disabling per save rather than per install, and even then it is just...untidy.

This. The only way I could see that working is if the core game allows mod enabling/disabling per save rather than per install, and even then it is just...untidy.

I'm normally a proponent of not keeping user data files (persistence and craft saves, for example) in the program directory, but even I see that it wouldn't fit well with KSP, especially how KSP is often played.

Well, 1.04 certainly came in handy. After installing 103 and transferring my saves and mods over, I found one of my ships had mutinied and wasn't responding to orders. Valentina had even disabled the IVA cameras! Locking on to their mining ship with the shiny new 104mm cannon brought them back into the fold right quick

Thanks Squad!

For the love of Jeb, no.

In addition to the aforementioned arguments by people maintaining multiple installations, some folks (e.g. myself) may need to make a "portable" KSP installation that can be run from any computer, and keeping the savegame data within the KSP directory is vital to that.

I hate having to track down saves and configs in %appdata% or 'my documents' or whatever other place the developer opted for. If it's been installed to my D:\Steam Library folder, then I don't want to find bits of it insisting on living elsewhere. Also, this way games remain Mac and Linux compatible :)

This indeed.

There's been few more annoying things coming out of Seattle (and that's even counting grunge) than the idioit idea of an operating system deciding of where I store my files.

When I install a bit of software and save settings, saves or other bits of data I want it to stay exactly where I decide them to stay, not on some random place on my filesystem.

And for a piece of software that has been developed for 3 (now possibly 4) different software platforms it makes no sense what so ever to follow the ideas of either one, nor all, platforms.

I'd just like to be able to specify where the saves directory goes. I'd like to put it in my Dropbox, as I occasionally move about. As it stands, the S.A.V.E. mod sort of does that for me by backing up into my Dropbox every 10 minutes, I just need to be sure it saves before I quit.

I'd just like to be able to specify where the saves directory goes. I'd like to put it in my Dropbox, as I occasionally move about. As it stands, the S.A.V.E. mod sort of does that for me by backing up into my Dropbox every 10 minutes, I just need to be sure it saves before I quit.

You should look into making symbolic links to folders in your dropbox for the things you want there. No mod required, updates in real time (or as quickly as Dropbox updates, anyway), easy to set up.

Remember in the Win98 days when all programs wanted to store stuff in My Documents. That folder ended up so full of things that were NOT your documents that people had to hack the registry to move the MD folder to somewhere else or/and pretend it didn't exist.

They had that with Win98? Then how come I'm having to deal with this bull**** today on my current Win7 installation? If I recall, WinXP did not do this nonsense of disallowing programs to write to their own folders inside Program Files.

Or did it? Was the practice of putting user data outside the install directory just not yet encouraged back then?

They had that with Win98? Then how come I'm having to deal with this bull**** today on my current Win7 installation? If I recall, WinXP did not do this nonsense of disallowing programs to write to their own folders inside Program Files.

Or did it? Was the practice of putting user data outside the install directory just not yet encouraged back then?

XP had C:\documents and settings\[username]\application data.

That's where stuff was supposed to go. Many apps didn't do it correctly, though.

A properly built program can have multiple installs coexist inside appdata, they just need to be aware of other installs and give themselves their own folder (c:\users\[username]\appdata\KSP1, c:\users\[username]\appdata\KSP2, etc>), or do the same thing inside C:\programdata\.

It's all down to the people programming the game doing things correctly, not windows.

This has been a windows spec for literally over a decade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.