[1.5.x] Asclepius - A Kopernicus planet - SSTO playground

MrChumley

As amazing as this mod is, I keep having issues with E.V.E: the clouds won't show up. If it's fine with you, can I write a config for it? I'll also add a nice atmospheric glow if you'd like.

Hello The White Guardian!

The included cloud config is for the older version of E.V.E. (7-4). I suspect that you want to add a config to make it compatible with the new (WIP) E.V.E. correct?

It's fine with me if you want to write a cloud config, and post it up. I'll include it in the next version as long as; A- It works B- You are ok releasing it under CC0 licensing. :D

Hello The White Guardian!

The included cloud config is for the older version of E.V.E. (7-4). I suspect that you want to add a config to make it compatible with the new (WIP) E.V.E. correct?

It's fine with me if you want to write a cloud config, and post it up. I'll include it in the next version as long as; A- It works B- You are ok releasing it under CC0 licensing. :D

So far I've got some good results. Here's what I've added so far:

- Atmospheric glow on Asclepius

- Glow on Kruel

- First steps towards clouds

- First steps towards some epic special effects.

Special effects:

- Thunderstorms

- Clouds light up on the nightside for an epic SSTO experience

- While flying through Asclepius' canyons, you may sometimes find yourself flying into a wall of fog

About the license:

License:
The texture 'CloudsAsc' belongs to MrChumley (it came with the mod so I assume it's a texture you made)
The texture 'detail1' is from Astronomer's Visual Pack: Edge of Oblivion and is used and included with the author's allowance (read the license of AVP: Edge of Oblivion)
The textures 'AscGlow' and 'AscMist' are ownership of 'The White Guardian'. Feel free to use these textures wherever and whenever you like, though let 'The White Guardian' know first before uploading anything that includes his texturework. 'The White Guardian' has the right to disallow the usage of any of his textures. However, unless ownership of his texturework is claimed 'The White Guardian' will often allow the usage of his texturework as long as the proper disclaimers are in place.

This cloudpack is made specifically for 'Asclepius - A Kopernicus planet - SSTO playground'. Therefor bundling this pack with Asclepius is allowed and even advised. In fact, bundling this with any of MrChumley(the author of Asclepius)'s mods is allowed.

Thank you for reading, and please have fun!
- The White Guardian

As you can see, I must write a custom license to give proper credit to the authors of some textures. I have, however, added that the cloudpack is allowed to be bundled with any of your mods at any time.

Edited by The White Guardian

I'm going to be naming it Kryo

Uuh... I've been working on my own planet pack for about a year now... and one of the moons it adds is also named Kryo. This would make the two mods incompatible, and sadly, I cannot change the name: that'd mean having to change the science, Kopernicus configs, planetshine configs, DOE configs and EVE configs. Ergo: ages of work. Could you please choose a diffrent name if it isn't too much trouble? Otherwise it'd lead to severe compatibility issues.

CloudsAsc.png is a composite of cloud overlays taken from the public domain. Courtesy of Tom Patterson, www.shadedrelief.com.

I just edited one of the hurricanes to be HUGE :D. And I released (my edited version CloudsAsc.png) to the public domain, so it actually "belongs" to everyone. That's what CC0 is. :)

Asclepius is meant to be a "gift" with no strings attached from my end. I'm afraid I'm not prepared to add any sort of "custom licensing" to it...

I think I suck at modding anyway.

Hey, hey, don't be so hard on yourself! If you really want to make a planet, all you need is a color, height and normal map. The config? If that part is too hard, copy a config from another Kopernicus mod and edit it.

- - - Updated - - -

CloudsAsc.png is a composite of cloud overlays taken from the public domain. Courtesy of Tom Patterson, www.shadedrelief.com.

I just edited one of the hurricanes to be HUGE :D. And I released (my edited version CloudsAsc.png) to the public domain, so it actually "belongs" to everyone. That's what CC0 is. :)

Asclepius is meant to be a "gift" with no strings attached from my end. I'm afraid I'm not prepared to add any sort of "custom licensing" to it...

Ah, I see. Well, in that case, I'll "gift" the two textures I made to the community. However, since the 'detail1' texture is borrowed from Astronomer's Visual Pack, that does ask for a proper disclaimer... I'll just rename the texture file to 'detail1_borrowed_from_Astronomers_Visual_Pack_Edge_Of_Oblivion'.

• 2 weeks later...
Will it work in 1.0.5?
You have to click where it says, "Filter" and select "All" instead of "Compatible".

But it is very risky to use Kopernicus and planet packs in KSP 1.0.5

It is possible to use Kopernicus and planet packs in KSP 1.0.5, though so far Kopernicus is designed for 1.0.4 so it would be like putting a cow on roller skates. The developers of Kopernicus are already working on Kopernicus for 1.0.5, and once that version is out, Asclepius will undoubtably work unless Kopernicus suddenly needs an entirelt diffrent script file setup, and since this would give a lot of modders a lot of work I highly doubt the Kopernicus devs would do this.

[SIZE=5][U]Update 11-18-15[/U][/SIZE]
Asclepius v1.2
- Now Compatible with KSP v1.0.5 with Kopernicus v0.5b
- Removed Landclasses (removed cactus rocks)
- Updated Kopernicus to v0.5b
- Updated ModuleManager to v2.6.13
[SIZE=1][I](D/L link in OP)[/I][/SIZE]

Now it works in KSP 1.0.5
Enjoy! :D

*note* Kopernicus 0.5.1 just released (literally while I was typing this) so this will get another update soon.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

12-11-15

Asclepius v 1.4 for KSP v0.5.2

-Updated bundled Kopernicus to v1.0.5beta (license included in Kopernicus folder)

-Updated BoulderCo folder/files to be compatible with the new E.V.E.  [1-05-4]

See OP for D/L links.  Please report any problems on this thread.

Enjoy :)

Edited by MrChumley

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys! Found this mod a week ago or so... You know, I am a great fan of a huge planet packs which add new stars with planets. At first I didn't really think this planet will be something special. But... The heck it is!

The way you did the atmosphere is a whole new game mechanic which requires balancing and special aircraft design. Theese planes may not work the right way back at Kerbin, but they definitely work for your planet. I have a full-scale mining operation in progress back at Asclepius. And of course I've got screenshots!

8yu7vt.png

This is my "Orbital command Alpha" space station in a 300km equatorial orbit. The big thing on top is The Orecarrier (guess what it does). As you can see, there is a spaceplane docked, the other one is now down at the surface. The single-use capsule is the main way of crew transfer between Kerbin and Asclepius.

mkesdi.jpg

Deorbiting The Orecarrier. I have my mining site in a crack on the equator.

2layfbr.jpg

"If you have a planet with low gravity and a very uncomfortable atmosphere why would you ever use a parachute for a reusable craft?" - Elon Kerman (just kidding) The SpcaeX way of landing on surface.

28tf7e8.jpg

A nice rover for refueling all sorts of space things. I have a stationary mining plant, too. (It just arrived first, makes no more sense.)

And then it just goes back to orbit to reprocess the ore. No practical use of it, rather than having fun with planes. Now I'm thinking of establishing the "Orbital command Beta" in orbit around Kruel. This moon seems like a cheap way to get ore.

Will be delivering more screenshots soon. Now building the third plane. Good luck with the mod!

• 3 weeks later...

@vovacat17 Thanks for stopping by, and your kind words about Asclepius!  Awesome pics! :)

I've made a minor update to Asclepius (removed flightglobalindex) and released v1.5 on Github.  This update will probably break saves if you have ships on/around Asclepius or Kruel.  Otherwise nothing has changed.

CKAN support for Asclepius should be returning as well. Big thanks to @Olympic1!

Edited by MrChumley

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I happen to have recently fallen in love with this planet, and it's become a major point of my 1.0.5 career, with the Poppy 1 to 6 orbiters, the Lucy 1 to 3 landers and the Grace rover all within the SOI and the Poppy 7 on it's way I can't wait to see this brought into 1.1. Awesome work, keep it up, man!

This mod was suggested by another in my "run to check out new planets!" thread.  Can't wait to install this.  Just hope it all works.  MrChumley - did the cloud stuff White Guardian completed end up on your posted download?

...and I think it is the cause of a bug in which contracts, astronaut complex and strategies screens flicker.

I'm surprised Asclepius doesn't work because it's a kopernicus cfg file, and kopernicus was updated for 1.1. Maybe it's something as easy as editing the file. Can anyone give me any clue as to what could have changed and what would I need to modify in the CFG? Or how to troubleshoot it to find out.

I have been experimenting with Asclepius and have managed to get it to work in 1.1.2. Make sure you have the most recent version of the build. There are subtle differences in the Asclepius.cfg file that seem to prevent the earlier builds from working.

It's up on CKAN now! going to test it...

AAannnd... nope. Doesn't work. I think Kopernicus doesn't work either. I patched up to 1.1.1.1250 and kopernicus gives a possible incompatibility warningm, and neither asclepius or OPM planets appear.

Edited by dronkit

On 1/5/2016 at 7:30 AM, David-P said:

I have been experimenting with Asclepius and have managed to get it to work in 1.1.2. Make sure you have the most recent version of the build. There are subtle differences in the Asclepius.cfg file that seem to prevent the earlier builds from working.

Sorry, which is the most recent build? Of asclepius, you mean?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.