[1.5.x] Asclepius - A Kopernicus planet - SSTO playground

MrChumley

:rolleyes:

The LGPL license is included for and redistributed along with Kopernicus. (License.txt) :D

Asclepius is released under CC0. :D (license for Asclepius is in AsclepiusInstallation.txt)

I'll put the LGPL license IN the Kopernicus folder for my next release... :D

It shouldn't be too long... I have to update MM, and Kopernicus as well since they both just got an update.

oops, I red the files so quick that I didn't saw it.

Could you the also change that on KS, because CKAN now lists Asclepius as LGPL 3.0

Moving on...

What method does everyone use to convert images to .dds format?

Sigma Sent me this image to help me out.

6M6FsgJ.png

But the problem is that the .dds addon I have for GIMP doesn't seem to show the same options for save settings.

rNCEhhc.jpg

How should this be set in GIMP?

Can anyone suggest their favorite (preferrably FREE) .dds conversion tool? Also the SETTINGS used for such a tool?

I ended up just booting up an old copy of XP, and running the Nvidia .dds addon for Photoshop. From there the setting menu was identical to the picture Sigma88 gave me. Other than that, you check "generate mipmaps" ONLY for your color map. (uncheck "generate mipmaps" for the Normal, and Height Maps) **EDIT** You also need the "flip verticaly" checked too.

Update 8-25-15

Changes (Asclepius v0.85)

• Updated Kopernicus to 0.3.1
  • Updated Module Manager to 0.2.7
  • Small changes to contracts. (Kessel run now only completes 5 times, instead of infinitely.)
  • Textures converted into .dds format :cool: (Thanks Sigma88!)

(D/L links in OP updated)

Edited by MrChumley

Whoops :0.0: Apparently you have to have the "flip vertically" checked to when doing .dds conversions. Sorry about that.

Update 8-25-15

Changes (Asclepius v0.88)

• .dds textures flipped vertically so that Asclepius is "right side up" again :confused:

(D/L links in OP updated)

I noticed that too when I did it for the first time.

I noticed something when I tried to download Kerbol Plus.. (the link in your sig says that you are a developer for...)

First off the main download link is 404

If you can manage to find a download...

It is distributing outdated Module Manager, and Kopernicus .dll's (BOTH WITHOUT ANY SORT OF LICENSE!)

I noticed something when I tried to download Kerbol Plus.. (the link in your sig says that you are a developer for...)

First off the main download link is 404

If you can manage to find a download...

It is distributing outdated Module Manager, and Kopernicus .dll's (BOTH WITHOUT ANY SORT OF LICENSE!)

Amarius made a typo in the link, I'll let him know

As for the distribution, amarius doesn't has his current build hosted anywhere, so I can't edit any files for the moment. I already asked him to host his files on GitHub or dropbox so I can edit them, but he didn't respond on that.

The only thing I can do is make my own version of it, but for a release, amarius has to check it first.

As soon as I saw this mod, I knew I had to download it. Here are some of the things that attracted me so much to this mod, and probably the others too: 1. You clearly put a lot of effort into it. The fact that you made separate biomes, and science descriptions immediately told me that this mod was legit. 2. The creativity. The idea of an easy to get small planet for those who are tired of going to Mun and Minmus all the time but aren't ready to go to Duna yet is just generous. All the little details about it, such as the low atmosphere, the breathable (only in the canyons where there actually IS an atmosphere) oxygen air, and the fact that its full of different geography such as sand, water, shores, and more! 3. The stock-alike-ness. Ranging from the looks to the silly descriptions, this mod should be implemented into the stock game. I'm dead serious.

Well, I hoped my review let you understand how great this mod is, and hopefully make your day a little brighter, as you made mine by releasing this mod.

ps, sorry for the late review, I just got a forum account:P

FIrst of all, Asclepius looks gorgeous! Maybe I'll do a LP series with it, we will see :)

In your imgur album is a picture with a very nice size comparision. How did you create this? Universe Sandbox?

Anyway, keep on you awesome work!

Regards,

Karosieben

...hopefully make your day a little brighter...

Thanks man! That's totally awesome! Glad that you are enjoying it :D

How did you create this?

I started with a picture of cracked mud, and used photoshop/GIMP to make it seamless, (that makes your initial color map), then make that black and white (that becomes your heightmap).. then make a planet.cfg (lots of reading on the kopernicus thread).. then load up KSP and Kopernicus, and press (MOD+E+P) in game, then type in the name of your planet and export textures using that(this gives you the normal map you will need).. then use those images to get your planet looking right from space. (edit the .cfg).

I recommend just starting with looking through the planet .cfg's to see how they are setup and get comfortable editing them, then just start adding new textures.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the mod! Very fun to land spaceplanes. Hard to fly in the low pressure and gravity though.

Stall speed is so low the control surfaces have very little effect near it. Planes fly very weird and yaw issues are more pronounced.

Anyone got any tips, conceptual models, advice on flying in low gravity and air pressure?

I crashed a big SSTO into a mountain on takeoff due to engine stall and control issues. It felt very different to control takeoff versus atmo entry and landing, where it seemed to have OK control. Taking off it seemed like it would not settle on a heading and would start to sideslip like the aircraft was asymmetric (its not!), then the engines would shut down from the high angle to the airstream. I ran into a canyon wall trying to get up over it.

Next time I will look for more speed low in a canyon and try a ballistic exit with much more speed/pressure on the wings to pull up with, a gradual ascent to escape velocity did not seem to work :P

Sorry to bring not so good news. I have been unable to play my game whenever I install this mod, I am either given a black screen or Kerbin does not exist. Here is my mod list if any are incompatible:

Infernal Robotics

Arkas

Asclepius

Atomic Age

SpaceY

KerbalEngineer

Alarm Clock

KSPX

Port Alignment

Chatterer

Smart Parts

Joint Reinforcement

Collision Fx

SpaceY Ligters

FuelTanksPlus

TacFuelBalancer

Any help would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else had trouble with lag on Asclepius? I hit severe issues with a mere 30 part rover, while I've not had problems elsewhere. Lots of mods involved in my current install, I've yet to test in a minimal install.

Anyone else had trouble with lag on Asclepius? I hit severe issues with a mere 30 part rover, while I've not had problems elsewhere. Lots of mods involved in my current install, I've yet to test in a minimal install.

Which version of Kopernicus are you using? I also have lag issues when using the newer versions. It runs fine with Kopernicus v0.3.1 in my experience. I've tried to bring this up before.

Edited by MrChumley

I've been working on dealing with the FPS issues between Kopernicus 0.4, and Asclepius.

Apparently there is a problem leaving the ocean on the planet when using a laythe/kerbin template, So you have to do removeOcean = true for the template and completely rebuild the Ocean, and OceanFX.

I have succeeded in getting it to run smoothly with BUILTIN textures

{
maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
minLevel = 2
maxLevel = 12
minDetailDistance = 8
oceanColor = 0, 0.1, 1, 1.000

Material
{
colorFromSpace = 0, 0.1, 0.2, 1.000
//color = 1, 0.2, 0.2, 1.000 - If you want to color the water
}

FallbackMaterial
{
colorFromSpace = 0, 0, 0.2, 1.000
//color = 1, 0.2, 0.2, 1.000
}

Mods
{
AerialPerspectiveMaterial
{
globalDensity = -0.00001
heightFalloff = 6.75
atmosphereDepth = 150000
DEBUG_SetEveryFrame = true
cameraAlt = 0
cameraAtmosAlt = 0
heightDensAtViewer = 0
enabled = true
order = 100
}

OceanFX
{
Watermain
{
waterTex-0 = BUILTIN/sea-water1
waterTex-1 = BUILTIN/sea-water2
waterTex-2 = BUILTIN/sea-water3
waterTex-3 = BUILTIN/sea-water4
waterTex-4 = BUILTIN/sea-water5
waterTex-5 = BUILTIN/sea-water6
waterTex-6 = BUILTIN/sea-water7
waterTex-7 = BUILTIN/sea-water8
waterTex-8 = BUILTIN/sea-water1
}

framesPerSecond = 10
spaceAltitude = 150000
blendA = 0
blendB = 0
texBlend = 0
angle = 0
specColor = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
oceanOpacity = 0.1
spaceSurfaceBlend = 0
enabled = true
order = 9999999
}
}
}
Ocean

Edited by MrChumley

FPS issues FIXED!!! (for real this time)

Now fully compatible with Kopernicus 0.4-beta.

Update time! :cool:

Update 10-9-15

Asclepius v1.1

-FPS issues fixed! (for real this time!)

-Reworked Oceans

-Updated bundled Kopernicus to v0.4-beta

-Updated bundled ModuleManager to v2.6.8

-Small change to New Horizons compatibility patch for Galactic neighborhood compatibility.

(D/L link in OP)

Enjoy :D

simon56modder informed me that ResearchBodies has been updated. The old config should still work fine, but misses out on new features.

Here is an updated .cfg that causes Asclepius to be researched/visible at gamestart on easy, and normal modes. (and Kruel on easy mode)

DOWNLOAD ASC_Researchbodies.cfg form dropbox.

It will be added in on the next release, but since I just updated, that might be awhile. :)

Enjoy

Edited by MrChumley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.