UNACCEPTABLE length of time we've been unable to update from the launcher

Hello,

It's been over a month, so why on earth haven't you dev's managed to fix such a tremendous error as not being able to update the damn game without re installing everything? Are you planning on fixing it at all or do you figure that you're scott free now that you've released the full game. I had a feeling that support for this game was going to go absolutely downhill the moment that you went gold, see if you get a cent of my money or any of my friend's money, who were planning on buying the game. I recommended against it because of this, and I have a feeling that if it takes over a month to fix this this game is going to go downhill incredibly quickly. Just another ineffective lazy developer, unfortunately all too common these days.

So the patcher is operational again, Claw?

Because it still looks pretty broken to me, unless of course it's supposed to do absolutely nothing, with no output as to why.

If one ignores the irrelevant moaning, the original (and legitimate) complaint is that the patcher is still non-functional. So, has it been fixed or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Since you're after "more information":

KSP version: 1.0.3

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8)

RAM: 16030

GPU: GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2 (2048MB)

Mods: None

Reproduction steps: Hit "update" in the launcher.

Expected results: Patcher downloaded, game updated to latest release.

Actual results: "Downloading patcher" appears briefly, both "Play" and "Update" buttons are disabled, no further progress (no patcher /rsync process launched, no console output, no network traffic etc.).

Investigating the downloaded "Patcher.zip" reveals it is not a valid zip archive.

Both x86 and x86_64 launcher exhibit the same behavior.

Investigating the downloaded "Patcher.zip" reveals it is not a valid zip archive.

I have the same issue. KSP bought direct from the ksp store. Just tested with the latest version 1.0.4

Launcher_Data\output_log.txt shows

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore/dp/patcher/releases/production/win/Patcher.zip -> C:/Stuff/KSP/Launcher_Data/../Patcher.zip

If I enter "https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore/dp/patcher/releases/production/win/Patcher.zip" I get redirected to the homepage and this homepage html is what is being saved in the Patcher.zip

Any suggestions on a fix?

I can manually download Patcher.exe from http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Patcher, but when I run that it freezes and I just get this in it's log:

06/26/2015 12:48:43 PM [iNFO ]: Squad Patcher 2.0.2.217 (6805581-production b master) - Apollo I Edition

06/26/2015 12:48:43 PM [iNFO ]: ---------------

06/26/2015 12:48:43 PM [iNFO ]: OS: Windows (win)

06/26/2015 12:48:43 PM [DEBUG ]: Handing everything over to Qt. Hold onto your butts.

06/26/2015 12:48:58 PM [DEBUG ]: Crash?

.. So is the patcher currently totally broken?

can I ask why it took you so long to report this fault? As you're the only one(s) then maybe its only affecting you... in which case look for another problem, is your firewall blocking the patcher?

I am happily still exploring v 1.02, so I have no complaint about the Launcher, however I too can concur that for my system (game purchased through the store) it does not update the game. - Pardon me for adding no other data, however I am preventing from doing so by being at work and not near my home PC. I felt it still might be valuable to indicate the Launcher ineffectiveness is affecting multiple sources.

P.S. - Given I am still evaluating everything I am reading about 1.03/4 and seeming incompatibilities with ships built in older versions, for my part I think I am content that the Launcher does not presently automatically update to the latest version with each start-up, to toss those extra 2-cents in.

The last time the patcher did anything was like .15, and then it ....ed up the install. I'm impressed that people still actually expect it to work.

This has been my experience as well, though I joined on at 0.18 so the patcher has literally never worked once for me.

The patcher is officially broken, and has been for some time, my sarcastic response was elicited due to the RFI response to a known, obvious, and long-standing issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm impressed that people still actually expect it to work.

And what about new players, whom, on seeing an "Update" button in the launcher expect it to actually update the game?

It's been broken for a while now, how about a) removing the button or B) throwing a "Patch server currently offline, please update via..."

Sloppy, very sloppy.

- - - Updated - - -

So is the patcher currently totally broken?
AFAIK, the server is down due to "migration issues", and nobody bothered to write an elegant (or any) error handler into the patcher. Or the launcher, for that matter. Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.