Need Audio Instructions for Training and Scenarios

Balrog

I was showing a 12 year old KSP, and he blew thru the instructional menus without reading them... because he could not read them - he has dyslexia. My wife, a teacher, says that's also just typical kid... Including audio instructions with KSP training and scenarios would be a great help for persons with reading disabilities.

Maybe a mod? CAN users mod training and scenarios? I realize that this means multiple human languages - not the alien-speak of the Kerbals... but hey! It's for the children!

I don't know of any such mod for this game, though an audio tutorial would certainly be interesting, and a welcome addition to the EDU version of the game IMO.

In the meantime, perhaps you could read the menus to him?

Playing the devil's advocate here:

- Learning to read is a critical skill if the student wants to pursue a career in science and engineering; as one of the implied purpose of the KerbalEDU game is to teach such science and engineering principles, I'm not sure if having students rely solely on audio instructions would be beneifical to this end (for dyslexics or otherwise)

- As the game is constantly being updated even post-1.0, I suspect that the training and scenarios may change at short notice, and I'm also not sure about the practicalities of hiring and re-hiring a VO artist to redo audio instructions on a (very) frequent basis

- I think it's canonically established that Kerbal speech is actually high-pitched and squeaky reversed Spanish, and so it might be jarring to suddenly have them enunciate audio instructions in a human-like voice. Alternatively, if one compromises and opts for chipmunk-sounding English instructions, I'm concerned that the students would be laughing too much to be paying attention.

- I think it's canonically established that Kerbal speech is actually high-pitched and squeaky reversed Spanish, and so it might be jarring to suddenly have them enunciate audio instructions in a human-like voice. Alternatively, if one compromises and opts for chipmunk-sounding English instructions, I'm concerned that the students would be laughing too much to be paying attention.

Maybe have the voice be in regular English, instead of being kerbalized?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed you said that would be strange.

• 5 years later...

Hey, it's so late.

did you get what you were seeking for. cuz I am trying to extract all the texts by my prototype tools then will ask for help to convert it to mod?

If you found some solution may I quit from this job!

and tell me about it so I can use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.