1.0.4 Cargo Bays Causing Objects Adjacent to Belly to Overheat and Explode on Pad or Runway

Is it due to the fact that SAS units have the tendency to create small high frequency oscillations when activated? Possibly their micro-spasms are causing a bug where its also creating a ton of air friction in the process.

I don't think the SAS causing this, more likely cargo bay. There seem to be something weird going on with cargo bays specifically when they are in closed state.

I had issues with them even with usual engines heat even not connected directly to bay, immediately obvious just on 2x warp (probably warp exacerbates the issue) - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126379-Since-radiation-is-disabled-for-parts-within-bays-umm-should-it/page2

Is it due to the fact that SAS units have the tendency to create small high frequency oscillations when activated? Possibly their micro-spasms are causing a bug where its also creating a ton of air friction in the process.

No. If you read my post above, it is NOT just the reaction wheel! Many other combination of parts causes overheat on the pad.

No. If you read my post above, it is NOT just the reaction wheel! Many other combination of parts causes overheat on the pad.

Yeah. So still just a broken nonsensical mess of physics. Reason can't be expected when fixing these types of issues :huh:

Correct. You can replace the SAS units with other parts though I did not have time to test. Its not a SAS activation issue since if you see my imgur albumn example on page 2 of this thread, there is no command module to activate them.

This is clearly an issue with the cargo bay when it is in a closed state and its belly is facing only east or west on the launch pad or runway. It is overheating parts that are adjacent to the belly near the belly forward of the bay lip when a child parts raise above the lip.

Edited by inigma

Can any of you guys tell me when these stupid things get fixed? I don't think I will be playing any more until then. I'm tired of playing through a "Fully Released Game" that has more bugs than it did in alpha.

Correct. You can replace the SAS units with other parts though I did not have time to test. Its not a SAS activation issue since if you see my imgur albumn example on page 2 of this thread, there is no command module to activate them.

This is clearly an issue with the cargo bay when it is in a closed state and its belly is facing only east or west on the launch pad or runway.

Again man, don't get blinkered. It is not just a cargo bay issue either. That is just one of the combinations that set it off. I think its a general issue with things being STOWED.

I have had the little blue separators overheat on the pad when inside a fairing.

We need to be as accurate as possible so Squad can fix it.

Again, I believe its a issue with parts that are STOWED inside fairings and cargo bays.

Again man, don't get blinkered. It is not just a cargo bay issue either. That is just one of the combinations that set it off. I think its a general issue with things being STOWED.

I have had the little blue separators overheat on the pad when inside a fairing.

We need to be as accurate as possible so Squad can fix it.

Again, I believe its a issue with parts that are STOWED inside fairings and cargo bays.

I think it affects both stowed and unstowed parts. In my bug bomb craft the girder is simply attached to the belly of the cargo bay, and the SAS units to the girder.

I think it affects both stowed and unstowed parts. In my bug bomb craft the girder is simply attached to the belly of the cargo bay, and the SAS units to the girder.

Well, you have an issue here with reproduction steps, a demonstrator craft and logs, this needs to be submitted to the bug tracker.

inigma isolated clear reproduction steps and a simple test craft that triggers the runaway heating of parts, and has reported this issue with logs to the tracker, this is what the developers need to occur when dealing with any suspected bug.

Everything else so far has been anecdotal evidence at best, overdramatic at worst, knowing that an effect occurs with many different parts is not helpful and just causes confusion, reproducible steps must be found.

Now that it has been, the test team can reproduce the issue which I see has already happened, and the developers now have enough information to work on why this occurs.

Dude, did you add that its not just the cargo bays? That it is also objects in fairings. it is objects that are stowed that are overheating.

Build the simplest test craft possible to duplicate your experience and notate steps you took to duplicate the overheating. Add your simple craft and steps to duplicate to the bug report! If you then suspect its not related, submit a new report!

Build the simplest test craft possible to duplicate your experience and notate steps you took to duplicate the overheating. Add your simple craft and steps to duplicate to the bug report! If you then suspect its not related, submit a new report!

Ok i'm on it.

Just to add fuel to the fire here:

I have a ship which is using 2 of the MRS Rocket Payload Bay.

inside the bay, I have a rover, made with Probodobodyne RoveMate chassis.

If I go to the launchpad with the bays open, the Rovemate explodes due to overheating.

I tried the trick of rotating the entire ship 90 and 180 degrees, but that didn't make any difference.

If I send it to the launch pad with the bays closed, it seems to be ok.

If I open up the bays immediately, then sometimes it explodes. However, if I wait a while, then it seems to settle down.

When I was testing, I was using Hyperedit to get it to Minmus orbit and then landing. Even there, it exploded, unless I waited a few minutes

Just to add fuel to the fire here:

I have a ship which is using 2 of the MRS Rocket Payload Bay.

inside the bay, I have a rover, made with Probodobodyne RoveMate chassis.

If I go to the launchpad with the bays open, the Rovemate explodes due to overheating.

I tried the trick of rotating the entire ship 90 and 180 degrees, but that didn't make any difference.

If I send it to the launch pad with the bays closed, it seems to be ok.

If I open up the bays immediately, then sometimes it explodes. However, if I wait a while, then it seems to settle down.

When I was testing, I was using Hyperedit to get it to Minmus orbit and then landing. Even there, it exploded, unless I waited a few minutes

Rip parts off your craft until you can no longer reproduce the issue, and then either get creative to see if you can build a simple craft demonstrating the effect, or submit your remaining ripped up craft (one that explodes) along with duplication instructions to the bug report, or if you feel its unrelated, create a new bug report.

- - - Updated - - -

updated OP with bug info, and new update.

This would explain why I now have to reenter my reusable boosters with open service bays... otherwise I get explosions due to overheating, especially at high physics timewarp. Strangely, it's only on reentry, and depending on wheher or not I'm on timewarp it affects a different part (1.25m reaction wheel or 0.625m probe core).

Rune. Ten cents it's related to the "shielded" flag.

What is a bug like this doing without an exploit video? Well wait no more.

Enjoy!! I made this video specifically to showcase this bug in all its glory (at least in what I could replicate)! :D

What is a bug like this doing without an exploit video? Well wait no more.

Enjoy!! I made this video specifically to showcase this bug in all its glory (at least in what I could replicate)! :D

Excellent video! Very enjoyable to watch. It is amazing how this heat system can be considered by some as better than it was in version 1.0