Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.0.4/1.0.5 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

zolo, pretty sure the conical shape doesn't interfere with drag. it's always been an improvement in my tests.

it might actually have less drag, since the inline dome pokes out a fair bit.

Good point--the cross-sectional area of the bubble canopy is something I hadn't considered.

I'm imagining my craft with the Mk1 Pod on front, with a shock cone intake on the front of that. So much for "looks good -> flies good", eh? :P

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my entry for the velocity circumnavigators challenge:

Time to circumnavigate: 38 min 58 seconds

Top Speed: 1739 m/s

http://imgur.com/a/KgIwu

I ran out of fuel as I entered the airspace of the KSC-continent... So I had to coast across the mountains for a half a minute... :( But I made it. :D

I don't know why it's stated I reached an altitude of 31km, because I don't recall doing so (it would cause way to much flame out time!). Anywho...If my entry is disqualified due to the highest altitude reading, I will do a reattempt later on. It was a nice challenge!

My understanding is that you have to land it, too. :) I like the look, though! If you're looking for optimizations, here's a couple things I've found that have helped a great deal:

1) figure out an average angle of attack during your flight, and angle your "wings" up by that amount in the SPH. That way, your cockpit, fuel tank, engine, etc will be more occluded by the air intake, and you'll have less drag. For my craft (which is admittedly probably 2.5 times the length of yours), my 5 degree AoA was causing my tail end to drop below the front by nearly a full diameter, effectively doubling my fuselage drag.

2) do you really need the inline reaction wheel? Is it lighter than a third landing gear wheel? I assume you have it to keep your plane balanced.

Good point--the cross-sectional area of the bubble canopy is something I hadn't considered.

My understanding is that you have to land it, too. :) I like the look, though! If you're looking for optimizations, here's a couple things I've found that have helped a great deal:

1) figure out an average angle of attack during your flight, and angle your "wings" up by that amount in the SPH. That way, your cockpit, fuel tank, engine, etc will be more occluded by the air intake, and you'll have less drag. For my craft (which is admittedly probably 2.5 times the length of yours), my 5 degree AoA was causing my tail end to drop below the front by nearly a full diameter, effectively doubling my fuselage drag.

2) do you really need the inline reaction wheel? Is it lighter than a third landing gear wheel? I assume you have it to keep your plane balanced.

Yeah.. I misread that part... sorry.. :( Landing is possible with only two gears, but it's a real pain in the behind without proper wings.. the reaction wheel is required for landing. One less landing gear doesn't make a difference at all though. It was just a small experiment :). thanks for the tips lotyeruki. I will upload my next attempt tomorrow.

Edited by xendelaar

I don't know why it's stated I reached an altitude of 31km, because I don't recall doing so (it would cause way to much flame out time!).

Check your actual altitude in your last screenshot with the F3 screen. My guess is u left SAS on while coasting after you ran out of fuel.

And here it is. 8 times around. And what is probably the least interesting imgur album ever. I think I even got the screenshots right!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think I've about had my fill of this, but I'm sure it's possible to do a more efficient ascent. But for anyone who wants to try, here's the craft file: Lawn dart

Here's how to fly it: (you'll need Pilot Assistant)

--SAS on, throttle up and stage

--at about 100m/s, pitch up to 25% and retract gear

--set pilot assistant to 25 degree pitch and 90 degree direction

--at about 16km, pitch down to 20 degrees

--wait a few seconds, pitch down to 15

--pitch down to 10

--pitch down to 5

--pitch down to 0, and your altitude should peak around 22-24km

--set a 5-hour timer and go do something else

--come back. When you're at about 110-120 degrees west, kill the engine (keep pitched at 0 degrees)

--when crossing the shore on to the KSC's continent, pitch down 5-10 degrees, depending on altitude

--land.

EDIT: Ok, I *really* have to stop obsessing over this. I'm looking at part .cfg files, and I found that my favorite AV-R8 winglets are aerodynamically *terrible* compared to an Elevon 4 (the small one). 2.5x the mass, twice the drag coefficient, 5% less control surface area, and less deflection. Also higher angular drag, although I don't know what exactly that is. Makes me wonder what would happen if I replaced my two winglets on the front with a pair of Elevon 4's...

Edited by zolotiyeruki

And here it is. 8 times around. And what is probably the least interesting imgur album ever. I think I even got the screenshots right!

http://imgur.com/a/kIpCm

I think I've about had my fill of this, but I'm sure it's possible to do a more efficient ascent. But for anyone who wants to try, here's the craft file: Lawn dart

Here's how to fly it: (you'll need Pilot Assistant)

--SAS on, throttle up and stage

--at about 100m/s, pitch up to 25% and retract gear

--set pilot assistant to 25 degree pitch and 90 degree direction

--at about 16km, pitch down to 20 degrees

--wait a few seconds, pitch down to 15

--pitch down to 10

--pitch down to 5

--pitch down to 0, and your altitude should peak around 22-24km

--set a 5-hour timer and go do something else

--come back. When you're at about 110-120 degrees west, kill the engine (keep pitched at 0 degrees)

--when crossing the shore on to the KSC's continent, pitch down 5-10 degrees, depending on altitude

--land.

EDIT: Ok, I *really* have to stop obsessing over this. I'm looking at part .cfg files, and I found that my favorite AV-R8 winglets are aerodynamically *terrible* compared to an Elevon 4 (the small one). 2.5x the mass, twice the drag coefficient, 5% less control surface area, and less deflection. Also higher angular drag, although I don't know what exactly that is. Makes me wonder what would happen if I replaced my two winglets on the front with a pair of Elevon 4's...

I don't think there are any words.

No words

To describe

My subtle thoughts

That you have

No life

This crazy feat down.

I found that my favorite AV-R8 winglets are aerodynamically *terrible* compared to an Elevon 4 (the small one). 2.5x the mass, twice the drag coefficient, 5% less control surface area, and less deflection. Also higher angular drag, although I don't know what exactly that is. Makes me wonder what would happen if I replaced my two winglets on the front with a pair of Elevon 4's...
that might work well. I used elevons as canards on quite a few designs in this thread and even as primary lifting surface on a few. They can be a bit finicky, though, lending *too much* control authority in many cases. (Basically no caps lock mode can equal instant death and landing chutes become less about stopping fast and more about not becoming a flaming mass of debris. Then again they are rather tough and can survive some rather severe g loads... Well beyond what would necessitate removal of the pilot from the cockpit via garden hose and shop vac.) Edited by ExaltedDuck

Oh, my, I just discovered this thread. An inverted shock cone on the front, plus a shock cone on the back end of the rapier, then offset to avoid burning up in the exhaust...this might drag me back in.

No. I've already been down that road before. It's an exploit [and one many people seem to not understand. It's because they are two objects that it is considered one]

No. I've already been down that road before. It's an exploit [and one many people seem to not understand. It's because they are two objects that it is considered one]
Ah, I missed that "no attaching things to the back of engines" rule. Thanks for setting me straight. That seems like a bit of an inadequacy in the game code, then--drag off the rear should be affected by how much thrust (and therefore exhaust) your engine is emitting.

hello everyone!

i'm quite new to the forums... so for my first challenge i've decided to give this one a try...

2AB30E02F78103F128D1C1DE92309BA700074FE5

cruiser mk2 on the runway

FE26282221C0ECF97FA5D6C27D3A3D7C647892BF

halfway, but fuel situation doesn't look that good..

841ED7FA31BCB05C06F19B82872A8B5B359D6FA1

ouch no fuel.. almost done!!!

time to quick save!!!

8E2E075B79F712202EFA8CEC8DD29564DF6397E8

KSC my love.. but.. oh wait.. i forgot tailfins :| cannot fly straight, dammit!

67B6E84EDD295395FEBC85F5AFDD2F5F514ABAC6

mmh.. first attempt.. bad crash..

i think this does not qualify..

but i have my quick save, so i should be able to give it a few tries before restarting with fins :)

in the end, the total time is quite good :)

keep you posted :)

Just out of curiosity, I took my 8x plane, swapped the inline cockpit for a capsule, used delta deluxe winglets on the front, and did the exploity thing with the intakes on front and back. And right off the bat, it's at least 25%-30% more efficient. That means a 10x run, and maybe an 11x run, might be possible with those exploits. Wow.

No, I'm not going to do it.

I was 2 seconds off Helmut's time and cruised a 270 hdg around 1730-1735 most of the flight, with an excursion to nearly 1750 on the powered initial portion of my descent.

correction: 90 hdg. went out to sea eastward on take off. better fuel efficiency that way,and in my experience times end up the same regardless of 90 or 270 heading.

Edited by ExaltedDuck

after several landing attempts, i understood my aft gears were not aligned :/ also tail fin and poor battery made the plane quite uncontrollable right after touch down..

so, i decided a cruiser MK3 was needed

0E3D9D8E21695A21AFF155C144B0C85CDE78CD0C

added sharp tail fin with elevon, radial battery and nose intake (tail intake removed).

also moved the wings to the bottom of the fuselage and placed the gears in the proper way..

this time i flight tested it a few times :)

CAD4CADB8E5245480E395D9AC01AC4BCC2560C34

JEB ready for take off :D

9E907399E5D929936B22478BAA53C4888A70B4B8

halfway and plenty of fuel this time! :) (probes on bottom right of kerbin are the landing beacons/light @ KSC runway

8B817F0D0E88620E471D14390648A7D205688950

safely landed @ KSC!!

also, i've landed with a lot of fuel: 101 units..

means a consumption of 299/400, i'd probably start another try with a not fully loaded tank and see if i can decrease the total time a little bit :)

Edited by cikho
typo

after several landing attempts, i understood my aft gears were not aligned :/ also tail fin and poor battery made the plane quite uncontrollable right after touch down..

so, i decided a cruiser MK3 was needed

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/386540406523626826/0E3D9D8E21695A21AFF155C144B0C85CDE78CD0C/

added sharp tail fin with elevon, radial battery and nose intake (tail intake removed).

also moved the wings to the bottom of the fuselage and placed the gears in the proper way..

this time i flight tested it a few times :)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/386540406523627470/CAD4CADB8E5245480E395D9AC01AC4BCC2560C34/

JEB ready for take off :D

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/386540406523628029/9E907399E5D929936B22478BAA53C4888A70B4B8/

halfway and plenty of fuel this time! :) (probes on bottom right of kerbin are the landing beacons/light @ KSC runway

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/386540406523628729/8B817F0D0E88620E471D14390648A7D205688950/

safely landed @ KSC!!

also, i've landed with a lot of fuel: 101 units..

means a consumption of 299/400, i'd probably start another try with a not fully loaded tank and see if i can decrease the total time a little bit :)

With the kind of average speed you've been achieving, I'm surprised you only got 55 minutes.

But hey, who am I to judge? It's always the little guys that do good as well. Seems to be the running trend.

Looks at G-force

Oh... That's why...

​

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/circumnavigator%20resized%20velocity.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.