Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.0.4/1.0.5 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

On 11/8/2015 at 0:06 PM, zolotiyeruki said:

Another day, another boring imgur album. Yeah, I thought 7 times around was a bit crazy, and 8 was ridiculous. How about 12?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Just over 8 hours of flight time.

BTW, I've never tried this, but would a Kerbonaut stay in a Command Seat at mach 5 and 27km altitude?

Hey Xannari Ferrows, when you have a chance, can you update the leaderboard? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my submission for Kerbin circumnavigation.  I originally built a smaller craft that came close, but this is my first craft to successfully complete the journey.  The run had a close brush with the 30,000 ft ceiling, an eclipse, and some beautiful visuals courtesy of the visual pack remix from the linked post:

Time: 1:08:13

Circumnavigations: 1  

Well my first attempt at something on the forums in a while then again I only really have done one other thing...

I hope you can understand that since I quickloaded after two landings were failed so I suppose speed distance etc. aren't correct and if I need to Ill fly it around kerbin again later.

I really have been finding it impossible to tear myself away from World of Warships. Now that I finally have the Yamato, things may be a bit different. But anyway, yes, the grading. Let's see here... Oh god

On 2/19/2016 at 6:30 PM, Spoo Hunter said:

Took three tries. The first crashed and killed the crew. The second crashed but the vehicle was (mostly) intact. The third was a complete success...

Flight Time: 3 hours, 55 minutes (~270m/s at 10,000m)

Circumnavigation%2001.png

Circumnavigation%2006.png

Mount some guns on that thing and send it out to war. Looks qualified.

I can't say the same for the entry, however. Doesn't appear you have any engines that use internal oxidizer, but there's no clear view of the back of the aircraft. The two images were both taken on the runway, and there's nothing showing you on the other side of Kerbin.

On 2/21/2016 at 0:43 AM, Atlanticrash said:

Here's my humble entry!  Quickloaded near the end (so I could land on the runway), which is why the F3 screenshot doesn't show my proper distance.

Steady as she goes.

Fairly low flyer, I have to say. Must be stressful staying near land all the time [subtle allusion to one circumnavigator we all know and love]. I would ask about the wings, but I've built more ridiculous nonsense in the past, so I don't get the privilege. At the very least I can give you compensation in the form of a badge:

circumnavigator%2Bresized.png

On 2/25/2016 at 3:49 PM, Draradech said:

That was a lot of fun, thanks for organizing this challenge. I decided to fly without assistance, not even SAS. The album below should be enough to earn the velocity badge? (Time is 56:06)

3rd image: Cruise? I don't think anyone's idea of "cruise" is to be on fire, unless you're Superman.

Well, par for the course. Don't really have a witty reply to this one... Give it time. Well, time is a spatial dimension. It is the series of an infinite number of 3 dimensional planes containing everything possible, which react like neurons to create the greatest illusion of all time; the illusion of control. In the sad reality, everything we do has been and is being determined by the basic growth dynamics of the universe.

Stay on topic, Xan! Right, okay. The criteria is met, so the reward will be given:  circumnavigator%2Bresized%2Bvelocity.png

On 2/27/2016 at 4:12 AM, PointySideUp said:

Here is my submission for Kerbin circumnavigation.  I originally built a smaller craft that came close, but this is my first craft to successfully complete the journey.  The run had a close brush with the 30,000 ft ceiling, an eclipse, and some beautiful visuals courtesy of the visual pack remix from the linked post:

Time: 1:08:13

I once made it a goal in my velocity entries to always thread the needle and pass up to 29999m. Yeah that never worked out.

Well, once again, pretty par for the course. It's like watching a Jingles video on battleship gameplay; you never really see anything spectacular until something starts going horribly wrong.

I'm going to forever contemplate whether I'm happy or sad that nothing went wrong here. Speaking of nothing going wrong:

5 hours ago, Fraus said:

Well my first attempt at something on the forums in a while then again I only really have done one other thing...

I hope you can understand that since I quickloaded after two landings were failed so I suppose speed distance etc. aren't correct and if I need to Ill fly it around kerbin again later.

Oh trust me, I have had to do far more quickloads than that. My velocity entries where I use a very fast parachute landing usually takes around 15 just to get the timing perfect.

Just barely didn't make the cut for a velocity entry. Closer calls have been made, but there is the 1hr minimum thing. I really really need to figure out criteria for a die-hard circumnavigator category, as well as a badge. Sounds like something to do when bored.

Speaking of criteria, it works, and it also sounds like something from Metroid [probably because it is]  circumnavigator%2Bresized.png

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of wish FAR was allowed in this challenge.  I have one heck of a long range, high speed aircraft that would be perfect for a speed circumnavigation.  It is manned, and Jeb sits inside a Mark 1 capsule in a small cargo bay.  It was lighter than using a Mark 2 inline cockpit and it changes the cross-sectional area less.

Green is the cross sectional area curve, and yellow is the curvature of the cross sectional area curve.  Sharp changes in cross sectional area result in higher transonic drag.

JGCTWEd.png

cy7hXio.png

Remember, this is all using FAR:

• Take-off is fun.  The aircraft has about 0.2m of ground clearance below the engine while sitting on the runway, and the rear landing gear are very far behind the CG.  You can't get it to pitch up before the end of the runway.  When I hit the end of the runway after a full-throttle takeoff roll, I'm usually doing about 200 m/s and Mach 0.55.

UPQBloz.png

• Gotta love the climb-out!  60 degree pitch and still accelerating.  I pulled this one a little too fast.  300 m/s and 60 degrees of pitch works a lot better.

g9B9glv.png

• It will cruise at 16000 meters and around 1200 m/s (Mach 4).  However, my hand-piloting at these speeds leaves a bit to be desired (using the fine controls would probably help, too).  And so does the lateral stability.  The next version of this will include a third vertical stabilizer.  The nose section also tends to explode around 1280 m/s, so the flight tolerances are a bit tight.

I going to uninstall FAR and see if this still flies using stock aerodynamics.  It definitely seems fast enough for a velocity circumnavigation.

EDIT:  Changed cruise statistics after a better flight.

Edited by rocketengineer1982

15 hours ago, rocketengineer1982 said:

I kind of wish FAR was allowed in this challenge.  I have one heck of a long range, high speed aircraft that would be perfect for a speed circumnavigation.  It is manned, and Jeb sits inside a Mark 1 capsule in a small cargo bay.  It was lighter than using a Mark 2 inline cockpit and it changes the cross-sectional area less.

• It will cruise at 16000 meters and around 800 m/s.  However, my hand-piloting at these speeds leaves a bit to be desired (using the fine controls would probably help, too).  And so does the lateral stability.  The next version of this will include a third vertical stabilizer.

I going to uninstall FAR and see if this still flies using stock aerodynamics.  It definitely seems fast enough for a velocity circumnavigation.

I actually don't like the Mk2 sections for this particular challenge because of the stock aero (drag cube), but they may work better with FAR.  I found that pitching the wings up with respect to the fuselage by 5 degrees helped my efficiency tremendously.  I'd get up to altitude and point the craft straight at the horizon (0 pitch).  That minimized the drag from the fuselage (only the frontal area had drag--the rest was occluded) while still allowing the wings to produce lift. It also made flying for 8 hours a lot easier (thanks, Pilot Assistant!). 

• 4 weeks later...

ATTENTION

Due to recent inactivity, and the fact that the state of Kerbal Space has changed quite a bit I am renouncing my dictatorship administration status to whoever wants to keep running the challenge. Fair and objective judgement is to be heavily exercised, so check for those before you ask. First come first serve when it comes to this. Let the race begin!

5 hours ago, Xannari Ferrows said:

ATTENTION

Due to recent inactivity, and the fact that the state of Kerbal Space has changed quite a bit I am renouncing my dictatorship administration status to whoever wants to keep running the challenge. Fair and objective judgement is to be heavily exercised, so check for those before you ask. First come first serve when it comes to this. Let the race begin!

Well, if it's a workload issue, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I have a few challenges that haven't seen any activity for a month, and I'm not that worried. If somebody comes along and completes it, I have the e-mail notifications and I give the thread some attention.

I wouldn't worry about it. When somebody comes along, give them the love they deserve and a badge.

Hate to see you disappear Xannari. You made a great and fun challenge, and it will come back. Stick around. Nobody is pressuring you.

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

Well, if it's a workload issue, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I have a few challenges that haven't seen any activity for a month, and I'm not that worried. If somebody comes along and completes it, I have the e-mail notifications and I give the thread some attention.

I wouldn't worry about it. When somebody comes along, give them the love they deserve and a badge.

Hate to see you disappear Xannari. You made a great and fun challenge, and it will come back. Stick around. Nobody is pressuring you.

It's never a workload issue. I just don't think I'm cut out for transitioning between game patches, and I bet there are just loads of people wanting to sit in the big chair, so why not, I ask myself. They'll get the special nametag as well.

6 minutes ago, Xannari Ferrows said:

It's never a workload issue. I just don't think I'm cut out for transitioning between game patches, and I bet there are just loads of people wanting to sit in the big chair, so why not, I ask myself. They'll get the special nametag as well.

I suppose, but challenges like these tend to operate separate and independent to game changes and patches. The challenge is to circumnavigate Kerbin. One can do that with pretty much any version of KSP.

But, if you want somebody to take over, that's your decision and I respect that. Again, thanks for setting this challenge up. I had loads of fun, and it has been a good tool for teaching what will work and what won't.

12 hours ago, GDJ said:

I suppose, but challenges like these tend to operate separate and independent to game changes and patches. The challenge is to circumnavigate Kerbin. One can do that with pretty much any version of KSP.

Think of how the aero and thermodynamics have changed though. It just isn't fair to compare people of two different game states under the same criteria when the same things wouldn't necessarily work with each other. That's why the Hall of Fame was created.

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

About suborbital division rules may I understand that i can use whatever modded engine I want, except those from Interstellar, and whatever mode provided it does not change the aerodynamic of the aircraft?

On April 17, 2016 at 1:36 AM, gilflo said:

About suborbital division rules may I understand that i can use whatever modded engine I want, except those from Interstellar, and whatever mode provided it does not change the aerodynamic of the aircraft?

I believe so.

On 4/16/2016 at 2:05 PM, Xannari Ferrows said:

Think of how the aero and thermodynamics have changed though. It just isn't fair to compare people of two different game states under the same criteria when the same things wouldn't necessarily work with each other. That's why the Hall of Fame was created.

then start it off as a clean slate for the new patch?

17 minutes ago, Sampa said:

then start it off as a clean slate for the new patch?

2 hall of games maybe?

Also, @Xannari Ferrows, how would you even change hosts for the challenge? Have someone start a new thread or something.

As for everyone else here, I may have an important announcement tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my entry!

53 minutes, 36 seconds. I'd say that's pretty fast.
My top speed was over 1300m/s, and if I let it go I probably could have gotten it up to 1337 m/s, but I was close to the KSC.
I could have emptied more fuel, too.

Here's the imgur album:

Had a lot of fun, thanks

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2015 at 10:17 PM, Xannari Ferrows said:

The admin's chair of this challenge is currently up for grabs

Kerbin Circumnavigation Continuation for 1.0.4/1.0.5, and potentially higher

circumnavigator%2Blarge.png

Changes to aerodynamics from the official release of KSP 1.0 have sparked this challenge, but as the planetary characteristics change, so do the Kerbal's way of doing things. The Kerbals have decided to continue with the Aviator Challenge, which was originally inspired by a ground based circumnavigation challenge.

The time has come for a new revision in order to keep the spirit alive, though I do advise visiting over here once in a while for inspiration, plus the historical value.

The Challenge - Circumnavigate Kerbin in a continuously moving aircraft.

The Rules -

• Stock parts only [Mechjebs AR202 being the ONLY exception]
  • No mods that change aerodynamics are allowed.
  • Mods that allow giant bananas into the game are not allowed, but would be funny.
  • Informational mods are allowed [Mods that give you Delta-V, TWR, mass, ect.]
  • Only engines the use Intake Air as a propellant may be used.
  • If your craft has 1 or more R.A.P.I.E.R engines, as well as a tank with Oxidizer capacity, you must show your resource panel before takeoff to confirm you are not bringing any Oxidizer.
  • No physics exploits [infiniglide for example]
  • Debug menu settings that change the physics of the game will be at default. Only informal debug settings are allowed.
  • 30 Km is the ceiling. Any higher than that, and you restart. Don't worry, a 29,999 is still safe.
  • A runway takeoff is required (You may use VTOL's and STOL's.)
  • You must land back at KSC (runway landing is not required, but you must land within 1.1 Kilometers of it).
  • You must show at least one clear screenshot of your aircraft. (Preferably upon takeoff. Phoenix screenshots do not bear fruit.)
  • When your Circumnavigation is finished, show an F3 screenshot for the details of your flight.
  • No pizza allowed.
  • Do not offset parts to be separate from the craft [They must visually connect]
  • Your aircraft must stay perfectly intact the whole flight [No drop tanks, burn-offs, or otherwise lost parts]
  • Manned flights only.
  • In your submission, you must list your flight time, and the number of circumnavigations. The visual post should be able to verify this.
  • You may only do an equatorial or polar Circumnavigation only. None of that 89 degree stuff [Just kidding, but don't deviate too far]
  • One clear screenshot per Circumnavigation of your aircraft on the opposite side of the planet is required.
  • No mounting any parts on the back of an engine.
  • Anything that ruins the spirit of the challenge is also not allowed.

Re-attempts -

You are free to attempt this challenge an infinite number of times. However, only at a time, you will be recognized under 1 class. For example, if you complete 2 circumnavigations, both in record time, you would specify whether you want the Velocity badge, or the Grand Circumnavigations badge. This applies for either 1 or multiple attempts.

Additional Challenges -

• The most continuous circumnavigations at a time will be recognized under Expedition Circumnavigators.
  • The quickest circumnavigation times will be recognized under Velocity Circumnavigators.

Badges -

• Victors of this challenge will be at full rights to use the Circumnavigator badge in his/her signature.
  • Upon being listed under a badge that tailors to a different completion condition, you are at full right to use that badge.

Expedition Circumnavigators

3+ Circumnavigations

circumnavigator%2Bresized%2Bexpedition.png

silks - A whopping 10 whole circles using a questionably unoriginal missile design, but there's no rule for that.

zolotiyeruki - Eight"!" circles!! The craft name is at least fitting. It makes too much sense.

GDJ - 3 circumnavigations in a relatively lightweight craft. Achievement unlocked: Warrior. Should we have achievements?

RuBisCO - 3 more circles. I think a new design for a dart has been invented; Surely this is perfect for game night.

lemon1324 - 3 full circumnavigations using basics. Well, noname, you wanted it, and you got it.

ExaltedDuck - 5 CIRCLES! ...*Ahem* Circumnavigations! This is unheard of on every level! Someone get a medal made.

Mikki - 3 Turbodriven circumnavigation, 2 sets of BigS wings, and a partridge in a pear tree.

nick4096 - 3 circumnavigations, all with a side of fuel efficiency. Might as well be a velocity run as well.

Aghanim - 3 circumnavigations with what was to be a single engine plane, but it evolved on the way up.

t3hJimmer - 3 equally glorious circumnavigations all in one go. I wonder if they made toast up there...

Velocity Circumnavigators

Speed Circumnavigations

circumnavigator%2Bresized%2Bvelocity.png

nicky4096 - NaN - Check rule 14

HelmutK - 0:38:42 - I'd make a joke about this. I feel like there's one in here, but no. Someone help me with this!

ExaltedDuck - 0:38:44 - Crazy designs for crazy tasks. Certainly sounds right.

Xannari Ferrows - 0:38:49 - Drawing with 1st place yet again. This is going to be the recurring theme...

The_Rocketeer - 39:03 - I suppose when you're low on cash, you have to go with what looks right...

Nefrums - 0:39:22 - I think this is the most engines I have ever seen on any velocity craft ever.

GDJ - 0:39:23 - Piloting a missile? That's a thing? I had no idea...

GraviTykillz - 0:39:52 - Finally joining the <40 club, it looks like it was all honesty from the start.

WinkAllKerb' - 0:40:01 - Take off the ram intake, and this think actually is a missile.

Foxter - 0:40:57 - I'm not terribly fond of the name for this craft, but I'm not one to judge.

spudman2 - 0:41:52 Speaking of pizza parties, guess who's invited?

t3hJimmer - 0:42:25 - Not quite enough to pass 40 minutes, but enough to merit a pizza party.

Spaceplane Addict - 0:47:41 - So many swept wings. It's beautiful, and on fire.

FlipNascar - 0:49:19 - Proving that bigger may be better with 4 RAPIERS and a BigS plane.

Mat2ch - 0:52:39 - Whether or not this thing actually flaps it's wings, at least we can tell it is fast.

FCISuperGuy - 0:53:08 - While I could kick this entry out for the back mounted intake, I'll let it slide since it's not on the back of a RAPIER.

cikho - 0:55:05 - Very interesting set of wings. Fairly simple beginner's velocity plane, but it works. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Draradech - 0:56:06 - Fairly simple, and well executed, inspiring, if not uninteresting to watch. I suppose there should be no complaints though.

Mikki - 0:56:47 - First Mk3 plane I've seen in this. Certainly this merits it's own reward, right?

ECarinea - 0:58:27 - Pretty straightforward, using the newest, most hip missile designs of the year [or 5 minutes]

[ Jeremy ] - 0:59:00 - Not all crafts have to be missiles, guys.

Haruspex - 0:59:13 - Using a massive aircraft of all things. Also weighs a lot and glows in the dark.

Aetharan - 0:59:17 - I think one of the engineers took inspiration from the I-400 concept and tried to make it into a plane. It worked somehow.

Derpotron - 0:59:22 - Making for a pure jet engine run, I wonder where the coffee machine is... Not that it's cold up here or anything.

Grand Circumnavigators

2 Circumnavigations

circumnavigator%2Bresized%2Bgrand.png

WinkAllKerb' - 2 circumnavigations, and a partridge in a pear tree. I feel like this joke has been made before...

nicky4096 - 2 of those circumnavigation things. Basics as well!

Death Engineering - 2 circumnavigations with a quad core turbojet system, and apparently a very efficient aircraft.

Circumnavigators

klesh - 1:00:06 - The first usual tactic for a speed plane doesn't work too well here, but that doesn't equate to a loss.

WinkAllKerb' - 1:00:22 - Imagine a plane like this with a RAPIER. I'm pretty sure that's what we've all been doing.

Dfthu - 1:02:00 - First I know of to use power generation. This may spawn an interesting challenge idea!

FCISuperGuy - 1:03:06 - Those orange streams really don't look healthy. They make me think of the same orange as orange juice.

Aetharan - 1:04:12 - If only this thing could've started out in the water. This would've been perfect.

GraviTykillz - 1:04:35 - Same plane, a quickload, and a velocity badge later, look for the same name above!

Workable Goblin - 1:05:54 - Because of this, I'm afraid to ask what the "Workable" part is for.

Maverick_aus - 1:07:23 - Another flying missile among many others. Certainly an AUSome flight!

Gahooligan - 1:08:09 - We got a really weird plane here, no doubt inspired from a gliding bird, but with extra intakes.

PointySideUp/Fraus - 1:08:13 - We have a tie! Someone cue the duel jingle! ...Waiting...

Tristan2004 - 1:10:00 - 3 intakes seems like overkill, but what do I know?

Valcab33 - 1:13:49 - Today we've got a simulation taken too far! What started out as a test run ended up making it around!

Doctor Mandarb - 1:30:43 - Pretty shots from the mysterious spectator [probably Superman]. Someone hire this guy for cinematic shots.

lemon1324 - 1:51:24 - This is pretty dang fast for a basic plane, although I'm not sure "supercruise" is the word that comes to mind.

Oxytropis - 1:18:56 - 6 TURBOJETS!? How does one manage such a task?

Haruspex - 1:19:13 - This is definitely a cruise missile. No doubt about it.

Death Engineering - 1:32:12 - I read the title of that post and got genuinely scared.

Joshwoo69 - 1:42:05 - Warning: Not for the feint of heart. Check this entry out, but keep all emergency lines on speed dial.

Atlanticrash - 1:50:36 - Very very straightforward, albeit the staying close to land part. I'm glad the name is a lie.

nicky4096 - 3:23:37 - I'm not sure if to call this a missile. Definitely looks like one, but no supercruising.

Gojira1000 - 3:58:22 - A bit more of an over complicated plane than necessary, but so are rockets, so it works.

RuBisCo - 5:03:37 - Suddenly I feel the need to add a 0 altitude flight for planes like this.

macktruck6666 - 5:19:50 - This is one of those entries that gets me to question just how seriously people take this.

noname117 - 7:39:17 - I don't think there are any words to describe this ridiculousness.

Hall of fame - Every victor who has completed the previous version.

Those listed here keep their badge

juzeris - FOUR circumnavigations using RAPIER's!

imthebait - Finally proving that 3 circumnavigations can be done.

Pandemic - Three circumnavigations.

t3hJimmer - Three circumnavigations.

juzeris - 0:41:44 - And no part clipping. Well, not much. RAPIERS!

imthebait - 0:54:20 - Proving turbojets still have what it takes.

MunGazer - 0:55:17 Valentina piloting

Triop - 0:55:53 - Single Turbojet

ExaltedDuck - 0:56:43 - And looking to go around twice

imthebait - 1:54:43 - Using twin angled turbojets.

Phearlock - 2:34:27 - A flawless mission while packing 4,000+ units of fuel.

Aghanim - 1:04:20 - Single TurboJet

ExaltedDuck - 1:07:46 - Stellar performance for a first challenge.

GDJ - 1:08:26 - Polar circumnavigation with rapiers!

Kelderek - 1:17:58 - The old fashioned way, with turbo jets.

redsh - 1:18:21 - Our first polar circumnavigation.

Styles2304 - 1:28:04 - More turbojets. And I thot RAPIERS would dominate this.

Xeldrak - 1:28:11 - And had plenty of fuel to spare

Deutherius - 1:28:43 - With an F4 Phantom no less.

Vasiman - 1:37:34 - Night takeoff and landing.

sj176 - 1:40:30 - Twin Turbos.

Fengist - 5:18:34 (and 4 cups of coffee)

Heimdall5008 - 1 day 2:02:12 - The scenic route.

Sub-Orbital Division

Sub-orbital%2Bdivision.pngFnc3J9Z.png

Which badge do you like better? Post your vote along with your submissions!

The Rules -

• No mods that change aerodynamics are allowed.
  • You may not insert yourself into a full orbit.
  • No physics exploits [infiniglide for example]
  • Debug menu settings that change the physics of the game will be at default. Only informal debug settings are allowed.
  • A runway takeoff is required (You may use VTOL's and STOL's.)
  • You must land back at KSC (runway landing is not required, but you must be nearby).
  • You must show at least one clear screenshot of your aircraft. (Preferably upon takeoff. Phoenix screenshots do not bear fruit.)
  • When your Circumnavigation is finished, show an F3 screenshot for the details of your flight.
  • No pizza allowed.
  • Your aircraft must stay perfectly intact the whole flight [No drop tanks, burn-offs, or otherwise lost parts]
  • Manned flights only.
  • In your submission, you must list your flight time, and the number of circumnavigations. The visual post should be able to verify this.
  • You may only do an equatorial or polar Circumnavigation only. None of that 89 degree stuff [Just kidding, but don't deviate too far]
  • Anything that ruins the spirit of the challenge is also not allowed.
  • No engines from Interstellar are allowed.
  • No complaining about the rule directly above.

Sub-Orbital Victors

MunGazer - 0:34:47 - First entry, and while fairly straightforward, at least it wasn't several hours.

Haruspex - 1:05:33 Not really worthy of being "sub-orbital", but this is the only place it can go.

( Read this in an arabic man speaking english accent) Can I do your challenge in 1.1.3?

If so I shall post my compilation of your challenge in youtube.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.