Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.0.4/1.0.5 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

actually i probably spent too much time climbing..

and the speed average was around 1250 i think.. just got that peak when descending.. in my first attempt i overshooted it and did almost 1500 peak :o

anyway :D

yeah i did it! :D

thank you sir

You're average velocity was 1254.7 m/s. How'd you get so close on the first guess?

rofl, because 1250 was the surface value most of the time XD

first half got some peak at 1280..

and during descent i got the 13xx peak for a while before totally shut off the engine..

honestly i was just lucky guessing :P

Hello @ all, I'm back again :D

This is not a new record, but it shows that it is possible to reach good times with the "new" rules.

No mods, no stacking, no reverted cone intake (i have never used that ....)......only a simple plane. What you see is what is in (bad english i now:blush:).

It is the craft from my testflight (38:40) at side 37 and Xannari has changed at the same time the rules (no problem you are the boss :wink:).

I have only replaced the MK16 Parachutes behind the rapiers with one radial mounted Parachute. 2-3 m/s less average speed at my favorite altitude :( but it is nearly the same speed from my 38:42 plane.

2015-10-19_000014wr3e.jpg

2015-10-19_000041kp7f.jpg

2015-10-19_00011plol4.jpg

2015-10-19_00012hppjw.jpg

Maybe I'll beat this tomorrow :kiss:

Edited by HelmutK

(1200000 • ╥) / (Minutes • 60 + Seconds)

aaah! now i see..

well actually if you add that i had an average flight height of 22000mt (spanning from 21.000 and peak of 23500 even if i remember flying at 25000 at certain moments)

it's like

622000*2*â•¥/t it's more like 1182 :)

I was going for surface velocity, but if you want a given altitude and a non-relative speed result:

((Altitude from sea level + 1200000) • ╥) • (Minutes • 60 + (Seconds / 21600 + 1)) / (Minutes • 60 + Seconds)

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

I was going for surface velocity, but if you want a given altitude and a non-relative speed result:

((Altitude from sea level + 1200000) • ╥) • (Minutes • 60 + Seconds / 21600 + 1) / (Minutes • 60 + Seconds)

ouch i think igot lost :sticktongue:

made another attempt with the cruiser mk3b.. which just have a rapier instead of a whiplash..

unfortunately i don't have the screenshot of the plane sitting on runway before start because it was supposed to be a speed test instead of a circumnavigation attempt.. but it was going so good i decided to keep going..

EBF2566DDA047939047868655F6BEE666265F414

halfway.. probes @KSC for reference..

FCB60EADAFB80F8B34449B9061680D58FE26238F

landed @KSC lot more speed, and 10 minutes less! :)

AEFB72694DA9361D13D3C9752B25AC7E3653C132

cruiser MK3b sitting right after the runway end :|

also i just noticed the cockpit has monopropellant i did not remove :|

i think i could have saved 250Kg by removing a little bit of fuel and the monoprop..

and fly under 25000Mt for a little bit more time, should make me move faster

Edited by cikho
new pic

I may see if I can compete for the speed record. I quickly found out what others have said--managing heat is key during the ascent and descent. You gotta go as fast as you can without burning up. I was on course for a decent first try....until I evaporated at 12km altitude and 1250 m/s in a 60 degree dive toward the runway :)

nice job helmut ;)

but guys! there is so much simple stuff you could do to go at least 5 m/s faster XD ! use the mk1 command pod, flip the intakes, etc.

Thanks,

mk1 pod = not faster (tested)

flip intakes = no way, it's not my style

There is a challenge for you: beat my time without using exploits :kiss:

Edited by HelmutK

Helmut, what about a more sharp wing?

should decrease drag a little bit, maybe you can nibble some ten seconds :P

Believe me, ten seconds are worlds under 39 minutes :confused:. I've tested serveral wings and these are the optimum for the whole design.

Don't trust writen values, test it.:wink:

Top speed of the plane (old version without the radial mounted parachute) is 1742 m/s in horizontally flight, but not on the optimal altitude.

In this clean version I can reach on this altitude 1739 m/s but top airspeed does not equal to top circumnavigation time.

A good ascent, landing and right altitude makes minutes!

Edited by HelmutK

helmut:

it's slightly better ;)

with a test craft:

- inline cockpit: 1715 m/s

- with mk1 command pod: 1718 m/s

both were using the same ascent profile, taken at the same time, etc.

but i gotta say! draining the monoprop makes such a difference! both were taken with drained monoprop, but on the first run with the mk1 cmd pod i forgot to drain it and it peaked at 1710 m/s.

also, about beating you, would you consider flipping intakes an exploit?

what about using the mk1 cmd pod?

Hm...the monoprop. It is to be worth testing again.

Flipping intakes... is it normal that a wall has less drag than a needle:confused:? Hm, let me think about...NO :rolleyes:

MK1 cmd pod is a regular cockpit.

You can see what is possible with regular mounted parts. Try this, that's what I mean.

@ExaltedDuck

Thanks,

I look forward to your next design:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.