Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.0.4/1.0.5 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

It looks like it'll be *very* hard for anyone to get near the pre-1.0.5 times now. The new thermo stuff makes things heat up and explode at much lower speeds. Even at 24km and with a precooler behind each intake, my intakes were blowing up before I even got to 1600m/s, let alone 1700+. :( It also means that my 12x circumnavigation probably can't be replicated, since you'd have to fly slower and that would hurt your efficiency. Edited by zolotiyeruki

[quote name='RuBisCO']Well I made a "Amphibious Plane" and decided to lock it into a circumnavigational flight, I was surprised that it made 1 flight around without being designed for it.

[URL]http://imgur.com/a/vVhiY[/URL]

[URL]https://www./?4l6pu8edgs5v2bu[/URL][/QUOTE]
Witty reply goes here, some sarcasm and whatnot. Not like I can do anything else.

This is where you give some compliments and recognition to the aircraft's design, and maybe a tip for usage in the future. In our example, it's certainly different than anything else, but there's not really an apparent way to utilize it's secondary function.

Wait, this is all going on the official report!?
[Spoiler=Badge URL]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1JM6Vfs90QY/Vi1VLwiLbvI/AAAAAAAABW8/T73r26h_esE/w318-h100-no/circumnavigator%2Bresized.png[/Spoiler]

[quote name='Vaisman']Yes, heat management important now.

Аbout 12x... i think it possible with beautiful new engines and large wings and fuel tanks.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing--I *did* do a 12x circumnavigation under 1.0.4, with the speed always above 1600m/s for the first 9 times around. I can't get near that any more.

So, I finally got all of my ducks in a row and did a circumnavigation that I think qualifies:

[imgur]tBE7B[/imgur]

This is actually my third circumnavigation (in three days!), but it's the first one where I remembered to take frequent screenshots and used an entirely stock aircraft. The info screen on landing is a bit borked, probably because I messed up the first time I tried to land and had to quick load.

EDIT: Fixed the album not showing up. Edited by Workable Goblin

I was trying out a test of my SR-72 style passenger jet, ended up with a circumnavigation... 1 Circumnavigation, top speed ~Mach 4.66, and altitude high of 29 Km. Sadly I lost an Elevon, does that disqualify the submission? I didn't take a shot on the runway, but there is a VAB shot,and 20 mins in the flight. I had the most ridiculous landing, came in at Mach 1 past the Vab...
This was a polar circumnavigation. 67 minutes, and 39 seconds, 618 units of fuel left, so I could have done maybe 50 minutes, but this was more or less a test.
[imgur]psJ5v[/imgur]

[quote name='SaturnianBlue']I was trying out a test of my SR-72 style passenger jet, ended up with a circumnavigation... 1 Circumnavigation, top speed ~Mach 4.66, and altitude high of 29 Km. Sadly I lost an Elevon, does that disqualify the submission? I didn't take a shot on the runway, but there is a VAB shot,and 20 mins in the flight. I had the most ridiculous landing, came in at Mach 1 past the Vab...
This was a polar circumnavigation. 67 minutes, and 39 seconds, 618 units of fuel left, so I could have done maybe 50 minutes, but this was more or less a test.
[URL]http://imgur.com/a/psJ5v[/URL][/QUOTE]

Seems you hit a snag at the very end. I see you lost an Elevon, which ordinarily you would have had a free pass for, but upon takeoff, there was no resource panel, and in the hangar, I noticed you had tanks with oxidizer capacity.

On 11/7/2015, 10:54:39, Gojira1000 said:

One full circumnavigation (just) at a boringly low speed. Time to make something much speedier

On 11/9/2015, 12:55:36, Noname117 said:

Yay! 1.0.5 is out! Time to be the first to do this challenge using just .625 meter jets! ...I have succeeded.

As the other crazy-use-of-turbofans guy, (belated) congratulations on those!  Nice to see airplanes that make it around not on fire.  Good times too.

I'll have to get back into it and do something new with either the 0.625 or the Goliaths... I wonder which engine you should actually use to make the most circumnavigations on jets.  Or maybe most Kerbals flown on a circumnavigation? Hmm... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 December 2015 at 1:25:49 AM, Gojira1000 said:

I'm extremely tempted to make the smallest possible circumnavigator, but must do many maths.

What about largest? My Koeing 737 (both variants) on KerbalX can circumnavigate Kerbin a few times by the looks of it. But it is modded a lot :(

I decided to take another shot at this, in the newer version of KSP and with (I think) a better flight profile than before, but doing the best I could to replicate my plane from August given that I don't have the craft file, and thus have to re-build from a combination of the screenshots and my memory.  Thus, I present to you the Hexwing Rebuild, which completes one circumnavigation in a period of 59 minutes and 17 seconds.  It's not the fastest plane to fly, but does squeeze in at both 'under an hour' and 'faster than the slowest Velocity Circumnavigation', so that's the category for which I'm submitting it.

https://imgur.com/a/lAX7T

Edited by Aetharan
Replacing broken gallery integration with a link.

On 12/14/2015 at 9:26 AM, Aetharan said:

I decided to take another shot at this, in the newer version of KSP and with (I think) a better flight profile than before, but doing the best I could to replicate my plane from August given that I don't have the craft file, and thus have to re-build from a combination of the screenshots and my memory.  Thus, I present to you the Hexwing Rebuild, which completes one circumnavigation in a period of 59 minutes and 17 seconds.  It's not the fastest plane to fly, but does squeeze in at both 'under an hour' and 'faster than the slowest Velocity Circumnavigation', so that's the category for which I'm submitting it.

This looks like quite the plane! Like a weird inside out version of something I once had.

But anyway...

Looks pretty good, and it actually qualifies as a velocity entry because of the time. I do hope you shall correct that one.

circumnavigator%2Bresized%2Bvelocity.png

I know I'll wear the badge with pride!  At some point, I still need to try to pull off an expedition too.  Certainly not going to cry over failing to break the 50-minute mark, even if I have only barely managed the minimum amount of flair to earn my Velocity badge!

So i made an attempt. 400 ton aircraft. Mission time of 5 hours 30 minutes. With physics lag and flying at 1x speed so it wouldn't fall part, It took me 13 hours in real life. It didn't loose any parts till the sudden end.

Edited by macktruck6666

2 hours ago, macktruck6666 said:

So i made an attempt. 400 ton aircraft. Mission time of 5 hours 30 minutes. With physics lag and flying at 1x speed so it wouldn't fall part, It took me 13 hours in real life. It didn't loose any parts till the sudden end.

My reaction to first seeing this: J-What-Ohmygod

I do not kid when I say that. But unfortunately...

There are only 2 images. One just before takeoff and one when you landed, which also shows you losing parts. If you lost those parts after you came to a complete stop then that's fine, but you also landed quite a ways from the runway, and I can't be sure if it's outside the limit. You're also missing a shot of yourself on the other side of the planet. If you can show me that you landed within 1.1 kilometers of the runway then I can get you a free pass, but until then I'll just have to wait and see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.