Kerbal-Kon 2015: Can We Make It Happen?

BagelRabbit

Also, another consideration is JPL is having their Open House this fall October 10th and 11th. Hotel prices are CA crazy, but being able to visit JPL during open house is unforgettable. Got to see Curiosity's test rig a few years ago, along with the MER sister rover they used for testing.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/events/open-house.php

Considering how small the convention is likely to be this year, setting up at a hotel and renting their ballroom might be workable.

I second this. There's also Endeavour on display at the California Science Center! I live near there too, so I'd definitely be able to attend and host a panel or something.

I could probably never got to the US on quick demand (I've never been there before) and I wish you guys a good time if it goes ahead.

Oh, I feel pretty sorry for you. I live in the USA, and I can get to one of those cons... at all. I also feel empathy, because I have never been to China, or all of Asia for that matter.

Also, cheers to more developments!

There must be some KSP fans at the Antarctic research station! Or some snarky voters. I bet the latter.

Ksp sales amount, world population, and the antartica population mean 5 Antarticans bought ksp from the squad store.

We could twitch stream it! We could do what they do at E3? Could you imagine a squad E3 conference :D "today we're announcing... Ksp 1.6703 with all new struts" *crowd goes wild* but on a serious note streaming it probley isn't a great idea because its not going to be like a E3 conference (yet) :wink: but I don't know if people would like to see it being twitch streamed? we could do a live camera but that might be a bit creepy :D

Edited by CG_Kerbin

We could twitch stream it! We could do what they do at E3? Could you imagine a squad E3 conference :D "today we're announcing... Ksp 1.6703 with all new struts" *crowd goes wild* but on a serious note streaming it probley isn't a great idea because its not going to be like a E3 conference (yet) :wink: but I don't know if people would like to see it being twitch streamed? we could do a live camera but that might be a bit creepy :D

Maybe when everyone's playing KSP, they stream their POV?

Maybe when everyone's playing KSP, they stream their POV?
yes that would be a good idea id watch that(most people would probley like some sort of streaming of the event because the vast majority of people can't go) also I don't know if someone's done this but could we do a poll to see where most people that play ksp live in America state wise so the most people can come?

I'll open a strawpoll or something. http://strawpoll.me/4754795 Only KSP players who live in the US!
great job sir! Thank you for doing that I can help spread it around a bit so more people vote. do you know if any one decided on what the panels going to be like I could plan it? If know one else has.(I'm hoping to be a architect so this might help (also an astronomer).

The nice woman at Heartland Event Center gave me a call asking for more information... I said maybe in a couple days... I still say, 15$ entry fee and rent out one floor of the Eihuesen Arena.

www.heartlandeventcenter.com

That's great.

Unfortunately, the link you gave is broken...? I'm not sure why.

Did you take into account renting out some rooms for panels? While renting out a floor would probably provide enough square footage, it would probably be nice to have some separate rooms for panels... I'm not sure whether the $3250/day cost includes this.

Taking a look at the center via Google Maps, it seems to be near a regional airport, but further than I had thought from Omaha. This means that people would either have to transfer flights, travel to the smaller Lincoln airport, or take a two-hour drive to reach the convention center. I would have liked to have chosen a center that's a little closer to a major city, but if you can't find any/if they're too expensive, I suppose this one would do...

-Upsilon

Hi, since i live and work in europe thats not really my parade, granted. This con will never happen in europe, since everyone wants it to happen in his own backyard. But i wanted to give it a try to post some important and hopefully conctructive questions that should be answered if this Con should be anything else than a bit akin to some adorable kittens trying to build a Space Shuttle :)

Really, i will try to be constructive, sorry. I really, really like your ideas.

So, first question:

1. Who is responsible?

Whatever you do, if you want to spend any money on the location, potentially having a hand in giving out tickets of any kind, or even to have some kind of real communication with all the organisations involved you need some people that sign the papers. Names, faces that can be hold responsible. Ok, i do not know how the renting of any kind of place or services on conventions is handled in the USA. Maybe its a whole lot easier than in europe. But i somehow doubt it. You can delegate all you want, you can bring as much forum people in as you want that mostly wont even lift their identity let alone take over any kind of real responsibility. It wont help. Yes, big things some times can come from small groups of people, but these people nearly always have close communication, know each other in person and live in or around one place. A city maybe. Not a continent.

Yes, you can kickstart or otherwise gather money, but you will always need names, faces and responsibility in return.

Add to this the need for speed. Casual organisation will not bring up any chance to realize this in august of THIS year. Casual organisation will probably not even realize anything next year. Or any year. So get ready for some real hard work and quite a lot of invested time. To call threetimes, get no answer and call it a day is no option.

tldr: The people that want to realize this need to name themselves, in person, to get together with the other people who do so too, and this way found the core organisation. And this will lead to a lot of immediately responsiblity, and i think that one or two adults could be great too. But, again, i do not know the restrictions in the USA. You people were on the moon, not we europeans :)

2. Where is the money

Organisations that have places to rent for any kind of convention want to make money. And they want to know who pays for damages great and small (and there WILL be damages, cleanups, emergencys and problems at least if more than 20 people attent the convention). They need IDs and signatures. They might talk about deals that allow you to pay parts of the running costs not upfront, but i really doubt that anyone will give you anything without cash. Any other convention that potentially could let your KerbalCon slip unter his blanket has already done so much exhausting work that they are maybe not too exited for you to take over from there. Even more if there are no public (!) faces to speak to. Smiling faces ;)

So, the people who organize this (not some kind of anonymous group of forumers) have to find together, and together they need to get the cash they need to pay whats necessary for the con. Then they could use all the nice ways to gather money over the internet since the project is relatively clearcut. They have a name, a product, an idea, maybe a reputation and the proven intention to go the extra mile in showing their faces and this way become accountable. People maybe give you money for that.

tldr: If you want to organize this convention but dont want to show your face here in this thread your chance for this plan to succeed is nearly zero. There may be ways to reserve some personal security, but you have to stand in for your project.

3. What to do and where to go?

Look, there is a reason why nearly everyone in this thread simply states his idea WHERE to go. Of course to his neighbourhood ;) Its one of the easiest ways to participate. Others post more or less motivated speeches in the hope that anyone gets motivated to rise up to the task of providing the solutions in terms of responsibility (1) and money (2). Add to this the fact that quite a lot of KerbalCon adepts lack the legal age to organize anything, let alone a full blown (or partial included in a existing one) convention. Any gathering of a lot of people is automatically a nightmare in organisation, since people get hurt, people make strange things, and .. people are people (tm depeche mode).

tldr: Be the one that is legally capable to organize this thing. Find people that do the same. Lend your faces to this project as real existing people and others - maybe even some anonymous - will follow. Use this credits you earn by standing up for your project and you will be able to gather some money (kickstarter, patreon, whatever) and more importantly help that otherwise would cost LOTS of money - for that you will be held responsible. Now you can realize the next steps to be able to at least include KerbalCon into an existing con anywhere in the world (or, to be more realistic, in the US eastcoast as always). At this stage maybe even organisations that have some credits in organizing this stuff will present themselves. Maaaaaybe even squad may take a closer look, since people that take risks by standing in with their faces for their plans tend to take notice of other people that do so.

"Build the field, and they will come" (K. Costner ... or maybe Waynestock too) ;)

Any ideas you state in your kickstarter for example for what money can be used for is a pledge, one that the organisators give to the people that want this to happen and give money. You will be held responsible again of course.

Location, name of the organisation, color of the logo, marketing, potential guests (to whom?), panels with rocketbuilders (?) yadayadayda ... all this is low priority.

Who are you? This is first and second.

tldr: get personal, or get out :)

Really, i like your elan. Maybe i could include some thoughts to this. Organizing things was once upon a time my job, so excuse the harsh words here and there ;)

AAAAannd... a little bit for the mood from Waynes World:

Edited by smart013
spelling

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.