Rescue missions Sending me to Probe cores?

They are somehow trapped in tiny probecores, and can't exit because there is no hatch.

I've got tons of mods installed, but I didn't change anything when I changed to 1.03, and now it's happened 3 times.

Anyone else run into this?

That's one interesting bug. I wonder if capturing the probe core into a cargo bay and bringing it down with me would work, or would it rattle through the walls of the bay on reentry (or would actually leave the core on the landing strip after "vanishing" the plane on vehicle recovery.

I had a contract just like this to a rescue a Kerbal stranded in a Stayputnik. Although the Stayputnik probe did not have a hatch I did have the option to EVA her from the option above the inset crewmember portrait and she popped up on the side of the probe just the same where I could control her. I don't know if this remains an option with other probes like the OKTO ones.

I wonder if capturing the probe core into a cargo bay and bringing it down with me would work, or would it rattle through the walls of the bay on reentry

Never had this probecore-rescue bug, but once I brought down a kerbal in the bay of an SSTO in the name of efficiency (and science). The clipping looks scary, but it's fine otherwise. Unless you do time acceleration. Even at 2x speed, the little guy clips out pretty quickly. He gets launched away at quite high speed if you attempt 3-4x accel.

If you recover the plane, he (and most likely the core too) is left on the runway. But that's no problem, you can recover the 'payload' too separately after (or before) that.

VEStsVt.png

I had this happen a couple of times. Once the Kerbal was trapped in a small probe core, and with KIS I put the whole probe core in the rescuing Kerbal's pocket (inventory), and brought her back to Kerbin like that. Another one was trapped in an inflatable, but not habitable, OKS storage module. I used KAS to attach a docking port, docked to it (which re-powered the module), inflated it, and then re-entered using it as an inflatable de-accelerator (similar to what NASA just tested). Amazingly, it worked.

I wonder if this problem occurs without mods, or if it's caused by a problem with one of the mods?

I've tracked this down to a particular ModuleManager config in USI MKS. The config adds seats to every part, including probe cores, which causes the rescue contracts to think they are crewable. I've alerted RoverDude to the issue, but for now, you can fix it by extracting this config I whipped up into your GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Kolonization folder, overwriting the one that is there. Enjoy!

Edited by Arsonide

I've tracked this down to a particular ModuleManager config in USI MKS. The config adds seats to every part, including probe cores, which causes the rescue contracts to think they are crewable. I've alerted RoverDude to the issue, but for now, you can fix it by extracting this config I whipped up into your GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Kolonization folder, overwriting the one that is there. Enjoy!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

You're missing a }.

I left the format of the file as it was, because I'm not familiar with the mod or how that MM config hooks into it. All I did was add a >0 in there so it would not match unmanned parts.

I left the format of the file as it was, because I'm not familiar with the mod or how that MM config hooks into it. All I did was add a >0 in there so it would not match unmanned parts.

What you (presumably) meant to write:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!INTERNAL[[COLOR="#FF0000"]*[/COLOR]]]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
[COLOR="#FF0000"]}[/COLOR]

What was in the cfg:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!INTERNAL[]]:FINAL
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}

What you (presumably) meant to write:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!INTERNAL[[COLOR="#FF0000"]*[/COLOR]]]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
[COLOR="#FF0000"]}[/COLOR]

What was in the cfg:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!INTERNAL[]]:FINAL
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}

If there are other problems with the config other than the immediate issue of unmanned parts being given internals, it would be best to bring them up in the MKS thread.

okay, at least I'm not the only one.

one thing I'd like to know: I had this funny idea of sending a craft equipped with a claw and a probe-core, so I can grab the cockpit and land with it. well, the claw can't grab the mechjeb-module. any ideas?

guess, I need to use KIS/KAS to rescue the poor souls from their traps.

EDIT: okay, my situation: I can grab the mechjeb-unit, and place it in my inventory. and then the system tells me that I failed the contract. apparently kerbals get removed from the game as soon as they are put inside a KIS-inventory.

next step: since I had to learn to operate KIS, I try to nail that mechjeb-unit onto the side of my spacecraft.

EDIT2: found a solution for missions which are already in progress:

1. make a copy of your savegame (important), the whole directory.

2. open persistent.cfg

3. search for your vessels name, for example Nedrien's Shipwreck

4. search in the code of that vessel for the string "part" and the first entry "name = " (here a partname like mumech.MJ2.AR202 for the radially attachable mechjeb-core shows up).

5. replace that name, so the string is "name = Mark1Cockpit" (you could also use some other parts name, the important thing is, it needs to be something with a crewhatch.

6. enter the game, your part is now a mark 1 cockpit, and the kerbal is happily sitting inside.

7. rescue him, as planned.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

I had something very similar, but in my case my kerbonaut was trapped inside an SRB!

I haven't unlocked the necessary KIS/KAS nodes yet.

I reverted and cancelled the contract, but next time this happens, I'll use Hotblack's workaround.

EDIT: Where in the MKS thread was this reported? Because it's a HUGE thread, over 1K pages!

EDIT: can't find it in the Github issue tracker either: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue

Edited by Amedee

• 2 weeks later...
I had something very similar, but in my case my kerbonaut was trapped inside an SRB!

I haven't unlocked the necessary KIS/KAS nodes yet.

I reverted and cancelled the contract, but next time this happens, I'll use Hotblack's workaround.

EDIT: Where in the MKS thread was this reported? Because it's a HUGE thread, over 1K pages!

EDIT: can't find it in the Github issue tracker either: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue

I found it here https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/pull/555.

I guess I'm going to edit my save file to fix as mentioned in http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/128623-Rescue-from-a-probe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.